Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been watching a local viper rather closely, It's a used 99 and it's been there since at least June of this year. I've only see one price drop (that came about shortly after the anouncement of the SRT GTS, so either it's a big coincidence, or the guy keeps up to date on his viper stuff)

I guess I'm wondering how much of a negotiating factor 5 months of showroom sitting is. If it was something like a 99 mustang, 5 months of inventory space hogging could drop the price quite a bit, but as I've learned with my 48 Chrysler. Many dealers are perfectly happy to have a unique car that doesn't sell, because it draws in the crowds to see the pretty car, then they buy a Neon or something.

I'd imagine the viper would be one of those cars, but maybe it's worth a little something in the negotiations? A free pen perhaps?

Anyone have any suggestions on how much 5 months of dust gathering could be worth on a viper?

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
Vipers normaly don't sell quickly. Look at the origanl bill of sale/papper work bundle, for my 01 acr the car got to the dealer arould sept 01. However the car didn't sell untill feb 02. It could be that they are asking too much. Who knows.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I\'m one of the \"Factory workers\" spoken of in another thread 40k used plz!

It's 59 thousand for a 6000 mile 99 ACR, dropped down from 63,000 somewhere around september 13th or so. It's what I really want for the forged pistons and has the ACR package (Bonus that you can only get those together as the first year of the ACR)

It's hard to tell if that's a decent price or not because I can't easily find something else to compare it to.

... and I'm a bit leary to tool around in a 6,000 mile ACR, If I could find a higher milage (and cheaper :p ) 99 ACR, I'd be happier

·
Banned Since 2003
16,388 Posts
Re: I\'m one of the \"Factory workers\" spoken of in another thread 40k used plz!

59K for a 99 ACR with 6K miles uh?

I would say they are about 10k over what I would pay and the car would have to be in perfect condition.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Re: I\'m one of the \"Factory workers\" spoken of in another thread 40k used plz!

Toby said:

I would say they are about 10k over what I would pay and the car would have to be in perfect condition.
Damn Toby, you Jew! That may be a touch over what it's worth, but not a terrible deal if the car is perfect!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Re: I\'m one of the \"Factory workers\" spoken of in another thread 40k used p

Carrot,
As you know, asking and selling are different, expecially from dealers:)
I'd say that if you could get it at 53K, I'd jump on it. $63K is optomistic
considering you can pick up 03's with less than 5k mileage for $63K.

Neep, I'd say it also depends on how many times that dealer sees Vipers. Consider
also, that it's October in Mass, which means your less than 60 days from permafrost and another 5 months of sitting for the dealer. Bide your time, talk to them and I bet you'll come away with a sweet deal on a sweet car. I'd shoot for a buy price of no higher than $55K

As for the forged pistons, I wouldn't pay more for those unless I knew I was going the forced induction route, in which case I wouldn't be looking at a 6K mile car. To me, ABS is worth more than forged pistons.

DN

·
Registered
4,280 Posts

59k for a 99 acr ( assuming it's stock, good condition, never wrecked ) is about 6k high compared to ones i've seen with comperable miles.

make an offer of 53k and be prepared to walk away...

·
Banned Since 2003
16,388 Posts

BigCarrot said:
Toby said:

Damn Toby, you Jew! That may be a touch over what it's worth, but not a terrible deal if the car is perfect!
/images/graemlins/pimp

I am a very shrewd buyer. :nod:

·
Registered
7,210 Posts

Evilz_ACR said:
59k for a 99 acr ( assuming it's stock, good condition, never wrecked ) is about 6k high compared to ones i've seen with comperable miles.

make an offer of 53k and be prepared to walk away...
You're right, it is a bit high, but a perfect car demands a little more money. $55k would be my money on it if I was buying for myself.

·
Team Crown Recruiter
10,002 Posts

A buddy of mine just bought an 02 RT from a local dealership. They had it on the lot all summer for $82,000 (waaaaay overpriced IMO). If a high dollar car like that doesn't sell within 6 months, most dealers will send the car to auction. My buddy got the car for 70K.

I know for a fact that the same dealership took a 6000 dollar loss on a Prowler just to get it off their showroom floor last month.

My advice: Decide what the car is worth to you, and start low. Deal with the used car sales manager directly (this eliminates standard used car dealer tactics). If you reach your top-dollar offer and they still won't budge, walk away. It's definitely a buyers market where exotics are concerned. Hell, with Chevrolet offering 6 years interest free financing it's a buyers market almost across the board right now.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts

RockStar said:
My advice: Deal with the used car sales manager directly (this eliminates standard used car dealer tactics).

I have to disagree! That sales manager probably got promoted to that position because he was really good at selling cars. He knows how to manipulate you better than the sales guy! lol I've had people do that, and the mgr. tries to make a whopper of a deal just to show his minions how it's done! You may leave with a smile on your face, but you probably didn't get that great of a deal. /images/graemlins/wink

·
Registered
6,586 Posts

BigCarrot said:
RockStar said:
My advice: Deal with the used car sales manager directly (this eliminates standard used car dealer tactics).

I have to disagree! That sales manager probably got promoted to that position because he was really good at selling cars. He knows how to manipulate you better than the sales guy! lol I've had people do that, and the mgr. tries to make a whopper of a deal just to show his minions how it's done! You may leave with a smile on your face, but you probably didn't get that great of a deal. /images/graemlins/wink
You can put that whopper of an avatar on my face - now that'd be a great deal! :thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ACR Here I come!! ...in five months or so that is :p

Wow I had no idea I might be able to drop that much off of the price. I'm pretty dmn optimistic about the car now, although I'll hold off a bit longer, the winter season not being a sports car [buying] season is a good point.

It seems though that my estimation of the car's worth is way off, are the ACR package and Low mileage not worth that much on a Viper? I figured that as the value of the car goes up, so would the added value of it's wizbang features. Are the ACR package and the car having low milage only worth a couple thousand tacked onto the standard price? Or does pretty much everyone hold a couple thousand dollars leeway when selling a viper?

·
Registered
6,586 Posts

BigCarrot said:
Just ask her yourself! If you double click the avatar it takes you to her web page! Have fun!
CLICK CLICK...CLICK CLICK...CLICK CLICK!!!! :fist: :fist: :fist: :fist: /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

·
Banned
2,657 Posts

BYBYC5 said:
As for the forged pistons, I wouldn't pay more for those unless I knew I was going the forced induction route, in which case I wouldn't be looking at a 6K mile car. To me, ABS is worth more than forged pistons.

DN

I agree with you. Also it's cheaper(from what's been told on this board) to have forged pistions put in during a build up then to install ABS. That's why I went for a 01. Also in 00+ you get the dynamic suspension. :bowdown:

·
Registered
1,772 Posts

Neep,
In my opinion 59K for a stock 99 ACR w/6,000 miles in perfect condition is a good deal if the car was not a rental or lease car.We all know that these cars are abused. What I mean is that I have a 99 ACR and just turned 6,000 miles, and IF this ACR is like mine--pleasure driven only on nice days,has never seen a parking lot,not tracked or beat on,and sleeps under it's cover in the garage,etc. I think it's a deal on one of one of the BEST LOOKING MOST DESIRABLE CARS EVER MADE. Vipers don't sell quick not because they are not desirable as you should know,it's because most people don't have the $'s to spend on it or can't justify the purchase to the wife who is driving a honda and wants a bigger house. The GTS/ACR is a timeless classic and I am sure the ones that are cared for Will hold VALUE. My advice to you is save your money, Don't be in a hurry to buy,BUT be ready to buy when the right car"for you" goes up for sale. Look at the price of a new C6, about what ? 55K? and a dime a dozen. It doesn't even come close in style or performance to the "just broke in"
almost new ACR. All I know is I'm not going to part with mine till I get a ME412 or Enzo. I do wish my ACR had ABS but since I don't drive like a fool I can get by without it. GOOD LUCK ON FINDING YOUR VIPER

·
Registered
7,210 Posts

The prices for a nice 99' don't really differ that much from 01' prices. 99' seems to be one of the most desirable years, especially in the ACR. You get the forged pistons, nice lumpy cam, better shocks, and the interior improvements. All you give up is the ABS, which is big for some folks, but not a deal breaker for others. When I started looking last time, I intentionally looked for a 99' ACR. I roasted the engine in my 01', so I wanted the stronger, forged 99' engine this time. That said, I do wish I had ABS, but the other things that I mentioned out weighed it this time around. I'm very happy with the 99'.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.