Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, Thanks to all who contributed to my last post. If I understand everything, if we could take two engine, one with low rpm high torque and one with high rpm HP, put them in one car, to eliminate the factors like tire traction, driver reaction time, etc., THE CAR/ENGINE WITH THE MOST AREA UNDER THE TORQUE CURVE should be faster, right?

http://www.rcgresearch.com/images/CombinedDyno.jpg

As an interesting side note, I played with Photoshop and have overlayed the dyno sheets of UtahViper and GaryA. UtahViper ran a 10.11 at the Viper Nats. GaryA ran 10.2 on the Heffner video. While UtahViper has a lower overall HP, his car has lots of low rpm torque. GaryA's car has more high rpm HP but less torque at low rpms. It appears that UtahViper has more OVERALL area under the torque curve and therefore it makes sense that he would be a 0.1 seconds quicker in the quarter mile. Any thoughts?

Fast

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
That's why I got the Roe Supercharger - it's got always available instant power at any RPM. I have the same 350 rwHP at 3000 RPM as the Viper with the 1059 rwHP at 3000 RPM when I dyno'd mine last March - I have even more power now with the latest VEC2 and the MOPAR T&D roller rockers. His has lots more power above 3000 RPM, but I'm sure he spent much more for his system than I could afford. I should be 600+ rwHP & will be going back to the dyno in around 2 weeks. I even find 6th gear to be very usable from 60 MPH on up due to the great low end torque the Roe S/C provides - 607.6 at 2950 RPM at the March dyno run.

·
Registered
1 Posts
NO!

It's area under the horsepower curve that matters (integral of the power curve).

Engine torque has NOTHING to do with acceleration - power does. If you could correctly gear an engine spinning at 1,000,000 rpm that is only making 1 lb-ft of torque, it would be able to accelerate a vehicle faster than one spinning at 5000 rpm making 100 lb-ft. The first engine is putting out twice as much power.

If you have a CVT transmission you run an engine at the power peak, not the torque peak, to obtain maximum acceleration.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts