Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are most of you doing about insuring your highly modified cars?

Do you have agreed value policies? If so - with who?

Did you itemize your mods with a typical insurance carrier?

Any alternative options? I think the specialty car coverage is too restrictive b/c I would be worried they would deny a claim if you were not driving to some car show.

· Premium Member
4,012 Posts
modded viper?? what modded viper?? mine is a stock 10 cylinder rt10 just like my insurance says it is :nod:

· Banned Since 2003
16,402 Posts
I am with State Farm and I have/had an agreed value with my 69Z28 and Vipers.
If I totaled either car...they would cut a check with no questions asked.
They just adjust the premiums based on the stated value.

· Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Toby said:
I am with State Farm and I have/had an agreed value with my 69Z28 and Vipers.
If I totaled either car...they would cut a check with no questions asked.
They just adjust the premiums based on the stated value.
Can you give me an idea on an approximate stated value amount and the corresponding premium??

I am with Liberty Mutual and I talked to them today. They have requested a list of mods and value and then will talk to the underwriters.

· Banned Since 2003
16,402 Posts
On my 01ACR I had a stated value of 65K. My premiums were around $60.00 a month for full coverage and 100.00 deductible.

Keep in mind I have a clean driving record with no accidents, 4 other cars on the policy, my home and other property with them so I get an overall discount.

· Registered
2,097 Posts
Anthony
Call 1-800-897-1395 "assurance Insurance" and ask to speak with "Tjaunna". She is the Lady that works for my broker that handles my business account and cars. I have a total value set by myself and I think it is with progressive. If I remember the price is not that bad either. You can also hunt around for a low millage per year insurance with a stated value.

good luck
rohn

· Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rohn,

I just added up the cost (some at full retail) of all my mods - performance, paint & body, brakes, wheels & tires, interior, stereo, drivetrain, etc. - I think my insurance lady is going to SHIT!! /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

On the flip side - damn I spent a lot of money. /images/graemlins/sad

I might be looking into an agreed value policy.

· Premium Member
4,012 Posts
this thread got me thinking so i contacted my insurance, Progressive. they do offer coverage for upgrades/modifications. up to 150K. not to shabby

my estimate over the phone to cover my sled for a max of 150K is 1100 bucks higher than what my current rate is so not to bad, im going to do it.

· Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Damn - my insurance just called and informed me that my mod are NOT covered and they won't insure them.

Looks like I am in the market for new insurance.

Anyone have any experience with the exotic/collector car insurance companies?

· Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RedSnake said:
Anthony - 98 GTS said:
Damn - my insurance just called and informed me that my mod are NOT covered and they won't insure them.

Looks like I am in the market for new insurance.

Anyone have any experience with the exotic/collector car insurance companies?
:stupid:
:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

What do you have you TT insured for?? With who?

· Out-House Counsel
1,850 Posts
I've been with Farmers Ins. for about 7 or 8 years and they've always insured my mods. The first time I asked about this was when I modified my C5 (no laughing!!) for the track. They covered all upgrades - motor, suspension, body kit, stereo, etc. I guess you just have to check with your agent, but mine can insure anyone in Texas if they qualify so PM if you want his name (competetive rates as well)

· Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jkracer said:
Anthony
Call 1-800-897-1395 "assurance Insurance" and ask to speak with "Tjaunna". She is the Lady that works for my broker that handles my business account and cars. I have a total value set by myself and I think it is with progressive. If I remember the price is not that bad either. You can also hunt around for a low millage per year insurance with a stated value.

good luck
rohn
Rohn,

I finally got around to talking with someone at Progressive. Their policies are stated value policies. My understanding is that in case of total loss they will pay you either the stated value or the appraised value - whichever is LESS.

Seems to me you will still be fighting to cover your mods - but would probably have a better chance than a regular policy.

The girl I talked to recommended getting an Agreed Value Policy from one of the specialty car places. Under this type of policy you get paid the agreed value - period.

· Registered
5,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fuck - now my insurance has dropped me for "Substantial change in risk: 1998 Dodge Viper has been modified to increase speed performance."

/images/graemlins/angry /images/graemlins/hot /images/graemlins/angry /images/graemlins/hot /images/graemlins/angry /images/graemlins/hot /images/graemlins/angry /images/graemlins/hot /images/graemlins/angry /images/graemlins/hot /images/graemlins/angry /images/graemlins/hot /images/graemlins/angry /images/graemlins/hot /images/graemlins/angry /images/graemlins/hot /images/graemlins/angry /images/graemlins/hot /images/graemlins/angry /images/graemlins/hot /images/graemlins/angry /images/graemlins/hot /images/graemlins/angry /images/graemlins/hot /images/graemlins/angry /images/graemlins/hot /images/graemlins/angry /images/graemlins/hot /images/graemlins/angry /images/graemlins/hot /images/graemlins/angry /images/graemlins/hot /images/graemlins/angry /images/graemlins/hot /images/graemlins/angry /images/graemlins/hot /images/graemlins/angry /images/graemlins/hot /images/graemlins/angry /images/graemlins/hot

· Registered
4,280 Posts
what they don't know can't hurt them, only me...i don;t tell them what i have "aftermarket" on the car, however just like speeding tickets, if you can afford the car you can afford the risk and cost.

· Schadenfreude Connoisseur
10,474 Posts
Evilz_ACR said:
what they don't know can't hurt them, only me...i don;t tell them what i have "aftermarket" on the car, however just like speeding tickets, if you can afford the car you can afford the risk and cost.
Thats one of the most fuckin stupid things Ive ever heard. They can say the same damned thing when it comes to PAY for your modifications on your Viper. If youre going to have that mentality, why bother to buy comprehensive insurance whatsoever? So youre just gonna either give up your mods or drive on FAITH?Idiot.

WAR IM INSURED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT!!

· Registered
1,644 Posts
I think Anthony is looking more for replacement cost if it was stolen or wrecked. I don't think it is a matter of the premium, but instead to cover his ass.

Ask Smokin about his tools.....I think that is what is driving it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.