Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
flew with my father yesterday on a 10 passenger cessna citation corporate jet from tucson to san diego. the two cities are 425 statute miles apart by car. not sure what the distance is in nautical miles via crow flight, but it only took us 1 hour to get there cruising at 42,000 feet in the stratosphere. :bowdown: my father has a house on coronado island in san diego and my year 2001 camaro ss (see pic below) was left there from a prior trip of mine (another story for another time). so today i decided that i would see if i could make the 425 mile drive in record time. with radar detector hooked up and a full tank of premium unleaded in the tank i left my fathers house at 2:00 pm. i arrived at my house in tucson at 7:00 pm. i made the journey in 5 hours flat (door to door) with just one 15 minute pit stop for gas, etc. tucson and san diego are on the same time zone right now because we don't do daylight savings time here in arizona (we are old skool).

anyway, i averaged over 100 mph and hit 155 mph top speed (5th gear, 6000 rpm's) several times as i blasted across the desert in 100+ degree air temps with my AC crankin. my camaro has a borg warner 6 speed tranny similar to our vipers that has the same gear ratios. as a result of changin my rear gear to a 3.73 ratio i was pullin 2,500 rpm's in 6th gear at 100 mph. my camaro has just a few mods like factory installed slp suspension and exhaust. i put in full aftermarket intake mods, HPP3, 3.73 strange gears and a nos dry nitrous kit. i also have a 1000 watt amp with 10 speakers (2-10 inch sub bass). on my way into tucson i have to cross railroad tracks. i saw that the train tracks that run parallel to the freeway (I-10) i was on had a big freight on it so i raced it to the intersection and made it across the tracks as the lights came on and the barricade arms were goin down! it was like dukes of hazard /images/graemlins/dude3

[image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/21627_-_resized-med.jpg[/image]

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Now try it on real highways, like I-10 through Florida, Louisiana, and the parts of Texas where people actually live.

I went 1425 miles from Florida to West Texas, then back again, with an actual average speed of 101 MPH both ways -- if you include time spent stopping for food and gas, and delays on the way home caused by driving through a hurricane.

Several people on the site can attest to my arrival time on the outbound leg. 14 hours to Tejas.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
right on mMcGuireV10! that is definately a long distance. i assume you were driving your viper on that adventure. i bought my viper new from john elway dodge in denver, colorado 3 years ago. so i had to drive it home 1000 miles. it is the farthest single distance i have ever driven it. by the time i got home it was broken in that's for sure. on the way home when i finally got onto the I-10 freeway (some 800 miles into my journey) in arizona, i opened her up and hit a top speed of 180 mph. that was the most fun road trip i have ever taken in my life. new acr (stiff suspension) and 1000 miles made for 1 tiring ride though. i like to take scenic rides on my yamaha v-max muscle bike cruzer though. my wife and i tour the state with it. here is a pic of it.
:cheers:

[image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/2162v-max_resized.jpg[/image]

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
Yeah, it was my '91 Mercury Capri convertible.
I was sunburned to a crisp.
And for all I know it did average 50 mph (I think it's more like 65 mph)
But I did stop for gas and food and a 30 minute nap so it was probably more like
70 - 75 mph actual driving.

And I didn't have a RADAR detector or sunglasses or even a hat (no good for a balding guy).
And I'd eaten alot of spicy Louisana food before I left so I was pretty gassy.
And I didn't have a girlfriend so the fact that I didn't stop at the strip clubs in Houston should be applauded.
And there was a big dust storm near that "Fraggle Rock" thing near the Arizona/New Mexico boarder.
And I was dragged down by a traffic jam in El Paso.

So maybe it was closer to an 80 mph average. And It is hard to drive when you're constantly falling asleep at the wheel.

I know it doesn't sound that great but it is the truth
and driving 24 hours with almost no rest is another kind of feat.
I guess I was just hoping someone would add their story of amazing high speed long distance travel.

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
I think I read (here on the Alley) about somebody driving a Comp Coupe on public roads to enter the Silver State Classic -- averaging something crazy like 170 MPH (I want to say it was from Chicago). I can't remember the details. Heck, I want to say it was supposedly Mumford, but I'm not even sure about that.

·
The Burn Clinic
7,295 Posts
It wasn't Mumford. He ran the Silver State in his 550 and his GT2. I'm pretty sure the guy who tried to run the Comp Coupe in Silver State couldn't due to some arcane technical inspection issue.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I rode my 1977 FLH 1200 from Jacksonville to Leesburg in a couple hours........

....anyone who has ridden an old, 4 spd, 76 cubic inch Harley knows what a tremendous feat of endurance that would be......

.... I mean damn... all the stopping to pick up parts.... and carrying all the fallen off parts...... shit, that is taxing.

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Smackie said:
It wasn't Mumford. He ran the Silver State in his 550 and his GT2. I'm pretty sure the guy who tried to run the Comp Coupe in Silver State couldn't due to some arcane technical inspection issue.
Yeah, that was the one. Something about the marshals not being able to visually confirm that the belts were bolted to frame material, I think.

On the motorcycle end of things, when I bought my little 1-cylinder BMW F650 in Little Rock last year, I rode it 900 miles home in one day -- 16 hours of non-stop riding. Nothing high-speed about it, but definitely an endurance run. Probably one of the dumber things I've done, truth be told. The last three hours were spent in a zero-visibility tropical storm, at night, and all I had was a tinted face shield for my helmet. Cars were pulled off the highway with emergency flashers going, and I just plowed through.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thin Man said:
I rode my 1977 FLH 1200 from Jacksonville to Leesburg in a couple hours........

....anyone who has ridden an old, 4 spd, 76 cubic inch Harley knows what a tremendous feat of endurance that would be......

.... I mean damn... all the stopping to pick up parts.... and carrying all the fallen off parts...... shit, that is taxing.
yeah, i know what you mean Thin Man - 99% of all harleys make it home.................. the others are still on the road /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

the harleys that do make it home usually spend alot of time in the garage afterwards leaking oil :rofl:
their owners claim that they are not leaking oil but they are just marking their spot. :lolcry:

·
Landscaping Professional
14,100 Posts
McGuireV10 said:
Smackie said:
Yeah, that was the one. Something about the marshals not being able to visually confirm that the belts were bolted to frame material, I think.
It was Wayne, the jewelry store owner from Cali. He didn't get to run it, and tried for quite some time to sell the car afterwards.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I made it from Birmingham to Destin (about 275 miles) in 2.5 hours. The trip normally takes a bout 5.3 hours. Needless to say i was driving about 115-125 in 6th. Fast Freddy, i also was in a SS Camaro (98). By the way, your car has the tremec t56; the older fbods (93-98) had the borg warner. :thumb:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I drove my 90 ZR-1(thats back when they were still new and the badest thing on the road) from Junction Texas to Las Vegas averaging over 120 the whooooooole way. That was a fucking blast. /images/graemlins/dude3

I have made the trip to Mexico in 3 hours.......hey folks sometime you just have to get to the horny senoritas in a hurry, they cant wait to see me.

50 dollars make you hollar!! /images/graemlins/pimp /images/graemlins/dude3

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
GTS Dean said:
McGuireV10 said:
Smackie said:
It was Wayne, the jewelry store owner from Cali. He didn't get to run it, and tried for quite some time to sell the car afterwards.

I think it's the same Wayne who is now having his Gallardo fitted with a twin turbo.

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
Should probably set up a section of the board with "courses" so that the next time anyone is driving in the general direction they can detour to take the "course" and post their time. Start a course in a small town outside a big city and end it in a small town prior to another large city so as to diminish the effect of traffic jams on final times. It would have to work on the honor system as one would time themselves. Palm Springs to Las Cruces, New Mexico on the I-10 would be a good one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Someone on Lamborghini-talk.com told me about this thread
so I came over to set the record straight.

First of all...GREAT SITE.

Yes I took the Comp Coupe to Silverstate I had just got it the week before #22.I trailered it to Vegas. Had the suspension setup for the road at
the Vegas Dodge dealer. Decided I better get some seat time before driving it at 180 so I drove it to ELY Nevada.(240 or so miles)

I failed Tech because the idiots weren't sure how the belt attachments were constructed.It was a Saturday and the boys at Viper race hdqtrs were not reachable. I refused to run this fine car in the much slower class (125).
I got pissed and told my Friend you drive it to Lund (40 miles) then I'm driving it back to Riverside California but we better not piss around as this car has no headlights! I found him pulled over by a Nevada highway patrol 7 miles later.
Seems he was caught racing some kid in a Camaro at speeds well in excess of 100mph.
I pulled up the cop said well you want the good news or the bad news first?
The bad news is I'm giving both of these guys a ticket for 100mph. The good news is I won't be impounding the cars because over 100mph I would.
What is this thing a Lamborghini or something?

Anyhow made it home ..Car is a great car to just drive. Couple of weeks later drove it to a Rodeo Drive car show.

End of saga. Sold it to a racer in Canada.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
gforce said:
Seems he was caught racing some kid in a Camaro at speeds well in excess of 100mph.
I pulled up the cop said well you want the good news or the bad news first?
The bad news is I'm giving both of these guys a ticket for 100mph. The good news is I won't be impounding the cars because over 100mph I would.
What is this thing a Lamborghini or something?

Anyhow made it home ..Car is a great car to just drive. Couple of weeks later drove it to a Rodeo Drive car show.

End of saga. Sold it to a racer in Canada.

Camaro and a Comp Coupe is not a race. Love the solid black.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.