Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done an HID upgrade for their Viper? I remember seeing someone's post or webpage but can't remember or find it. I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

·
Senior Slacker
2,155 Posts
Well, despite the fact that his "lighting" web page is coming up blank, Roe Racing sells an excellent HID kit for the Viper by all accounts. The problem is that some generic kits get too hot and will melt the factory lense or blow fuses. I believe that Sean, as with all his products, has designed his system specifically for the Viper. And if you are looking for someone in the Kansas City area to do it, check with Mike Anderson at Chuck Anderson Ford (no kidding). His number is (816) 630-1700. They are the largest aftermarket shop for Vipers AND an authorized Roe Racing dealer (even done a few Viper superchargers there). Mike is also a Viper owner (2001 GTS and several before that) and one heck of a great guy. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
HID lighting kits are, and always have been illegal. The NHTSA recently sent a "query" to several manufacturers of these kits asking for proof that they are DOT compliant (none of them are) or information on why they are violating the law by selling these kits.

The NHTSA/DOT *will* be following up with lawsuits against some of these companies. The end user falls under the laws of the state, and the ARE illegal - *ALL* retrofit kits of HID light are illegal, so if any cop wants to ticket you, he can and it will stick. The NHTSA does NOT have any jurisdiction over private individuals, but they DO have it over businesses that sell illegal kits - and since all HID kits are illegal, well you know the rest.

That's why it's going to be hard to find an HID retrofit kit. All companies that were selling them were breaking the law. Many of these companies have since stopped selling them hoping to avoid prosecution.

Best bet is eBay

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
Just curious as to why manufacturers cannot just get around this with the standard "for offroad use only" stickers that are affixed on so many other non-street legal items?

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Roadkill said:
Just curious as to why manufacturers cannot just get around this with the standard "for offroad use only" stickers that are affixed on so many other non-street legal items?
That "for offroad use only" isn't an escape at all. The NHTSA determines the "primary use" of an item, and it's primary use is street, and it's not DOT legal, then they can prosecute you.

Example - racing steering wheels. Most folks aren't buying them for street cars, so they are legal. However, most folks ARE using high-watt headlight bulbs, and clear tail lenses, and HID kits, etc on the street, so that stuff *is* illegal, even if they claim "for offroad use only".

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
Ouch.. so if a fad hits and racing steering wheels suddenly become popular, then the manufacturers are now liable? Damn that hurts! One year it's legal.. the next it's not.. :doh:

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Roadkill said:
Ouch.. so if a fad hits and racing steering wheels suddenly become popular, then the manufacturers are now liable? Damn that hurts! One year it's legal.. the next it's not.. :doh:
It's a judgement call I guess... but at least racing wheels you could say their main application is always racing, even if the ricers all buy them. But HID lights are not a racing part no matter how you slice it, so it's a losing proposition trying to sell them like that. If you're under the radar of the NHTSA they probably won't bother you, but they apparently have had over 30,000 complaints about super-bright lights in 3 years, so they are going after the folks selling them.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
cgmaster said:
HID for endurance racing.
Never seen HID's on an endurance car - only very bright halogens. Why go to the weight of a ballast and all the other crap when halogens are so much lighter and cheaper?

Bottom line is that putting HID lights on your car is illegal, any way you look at it. The NHTSA is putting a stop to people selling the kits because they are not DOT legal. That is why many sellers stopped selling them. The standard light reflector does not work right with HID bulbs, and causes massive glare to oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Perhaps I need to start with healight alignment but the light output from the low beam is terrible. There is a kit being sold in Europe but shipped globally which is highly regarded but is fairly expensive ($600). I will contat Sean first.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have been checking around on this issue some as well. I know it's not as simple as getting a kit made for a 9006 bulb, and that there are light pattern and housing issues that need to be taken into consideration. It seems to me one of the supra kits for a 9006 bulb might be a good fit, given that they also use projector beam headlights (one supra site specifically mentions that their HID kit uses 9006 "P" bulbs that are made for projector beam housings to throw the correct pattern). Now that Roe isn't selling Viper specific kits any more, has anyone tried another type of HID kit?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My 02 takes 9005 - typically found in high beams. RedGTS try

Autolamps-online http://www.autolamps-online.com/home.htm
Telephone: +44 (0) 1244 881961

They can deliver even to the States within 48hrs. I've checked them out via HIDforum.com and they are very highly regarded for using top of the line stuff. I am going with their 6000K 9005 system.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will look into a group purchase price. Also here's their second webpage

http://www.hid-online.com/

Also note that their HID bulbs are custom fabricated (machined into the base) to ensure direct plug in - it's not those cheap crap where you have to use home made adapters.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just spoke to them and they are offering 5% discount if we have more than 2 purchases - prety measly discount... Please let me know if you are interested b/c I will order one soon.

·
Registered
582 Posts
sbkim, I thought '01-'02's used 9006 bulbs, at least for low beams, which is what we'd be replacing, isn't it? Are you sure 9005's will work? Also, did you ask them about the projector beam aspect of the light and whether their kit is designed to work with that type of housing? I'm definitely interested if we can find a kit that is plug and play and throws a good light pattern, but we may be better off letting someone be the guinea pig and make sure the kit works before getting up a group purchase.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
RedGTS,

Yes per the manual it's 9006 HOWEVER, I physically checked my bulbs and to my surprise it had 9005 for the lows, and 9011 for the highs. These 9011 bulbs are very very very expensive - somewhere around $100 per bulb. So, my advice is to check it yourself before ordering. And secondly, it uses D2S bulbs which are specifically designed for projector housing. Whether you get 9006 or 9005 the kit is $475 for the 4300K. Add another $100 for the 6000K. I am going with 6000K so I can look different from other HID's out there /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Several people on the viperclub have already done HID upgrades and seems pretty simple. I am sending them emails to get additional details and will post here. Unfortunately, I am currently in Germany so I can't do anything until I return to the States in about 30 days...

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I have the Roe HID upgrade on my car. Installation was extremely simple and the added visibility (especially at speed) is outstanding. I guess I'm not that worried about the legality issue since I also do not have a front tag, and my exhaust is too loud for local standards. I've never been hassled about any of these.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts