Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I\'m new to the Forum looking to purchase 96\'-00\' VIPER

I've been doing some research and have some questions:
What are your driving impressions for these models?
I love the GTS styling but also like the RT10 convertible.
I'm mainly interested in the Gen.II body styling, I believe they changed in 96'-'02?

So what do you guys think? I know there are minor HP differences between the GTS and RT10, 96'-02' I mainly want to know what pros and cons exist between the coupe & convertible? Thanks for any input, hope to join the family soon....Currently driving 03'Mercedes S55 AMG

You guys have some beautiful cars....

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Hi I\'m new to the Forum looking to purchase 96\'-00\' VIPER

This Viper purchase I'm planing is going to be used primarily on weekends
you know fair weather days, hopefully checkin' out the ladys...
I'm in Santa Barbara, Ca. I hope to get a fairly good bargain around $40k-$48k not incld. tax. lic. considering my daily driver keeps me busy w/car payments.

· Banned
2,657 Posts

For the price you are looking for. Hold tight. You'll be able to pick up a GTS for that price. Just take your time. It took me 2 years to find my viper. Besure to get a color you like.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks for all your replys, what are your driving impressions for the models I listed? any concerns or known issues that I should look out for? I'm going to have the car I choose, gone thru from stem to stern buy an authorized Viper mechanic before purchase.
Thanks again.....

· Stow-N-Go, Baby!
10,163 Posts

You will find no differences in reliability between the models. You will find some differences between the years. (One exception--early GTS rear hatch glass issue). If you want a summary of differences, do some searching in the archives--your questions have been asked before repeatedly.

R/Ts are presently cheaper than GTSs, and given your use (weekend driver in sunny California), that is probably your best bet. If you were to be a track rat, that would favor the GTS.

You can get tons of R/Ts for mid forties right now. 1999 was the last of the forged pistons, which really only matters if you are going to heavily modify the car. 2001-02 were the only years with ABS. I think that for your "fun weekend driver" use you can't go wrong on any R/T 1998 and above.

· Registered
310 Posts

Here's two ads from the Sunday St.Louis Post Dispatch.

'01 Viper GTS, 6spd, yel/blk, ex. cond, 21k, $46,900. (314) 422-9900

'97 Viper 6spd, red, only 34k, ex cond. New Price $38,888 Stock # 2681B
Paul Cerame Ford (314) 838-2400

I don't know anything about the cars, just saw the ads.
Depending on the history of the cars , they could really be a deals.

I toy with the idea of selling mine sometimes (to finance another car project),
but I can't seem to bring myself to do it.

I know if I sold it, I'd regret it.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Thanks for your help guys, I'm definitely going to take my time w/this purchase I can't wait! I feel like a little kid checking these awesome machines out...
I went to a local dealership after the gym tonight and they have what looks to be an 03'-04' gen III Viper, (black on black) I have to say, "I really don't like the lines of it, almost looks like a Big Brother version of the Vette? they refined the lines way to much! what were they thinking? No offense to anyone who has 1 or likes the new styling.
I think the best styling is easily the gen II! :bowdown: it doesn't look like anything else on the road totally original, Intimidating! just a Super Freak!!!

· Registered
19 Posts

Do you plan to cruise in the car or really drive the crap out of it on the weekends? If you plan to just cruise, buy a stock car with no mods or poser mods like rims and such. If you plan to drive it, look for a modified car. You will pay far less for mods that someone else has already paid full price for. Personally I would go for a good conditioned heavily modified car over a pristine garage queen for the same price.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Oh I definitely plan to "Drive It Like I Stoled It" I'm not going for the cutie pie look of big wheels, maybe some 18" HRE'S but that's it.
As far as modding I totally agree w/you, I can't keep my hands and check book off my cars.
If the car I find doesn't have it, it will get Upgraded Exhaust system, Free Flowing (or no) cat's, Smooth tube intake, and ROE Supercharger.
I've never been a track rat, but I would love to check it out! when I get this Viper, all the cars I've owned up to this point I think, wouldn't be appropriate
for the track. Thanks for the reply I'm definitely looking for one w/as many mods as possible besides NOS, I want to keep this Viper for a long time.

· Premium Member
4,012 Posts

ummmm and why, grasshopper, must you prove yourself "so to speak"

anyway; for all practical purposes there are NOT HP differences between gts and rt10 there are cosmetic differences only. hp differences are year not model specific

IMO nothing beats a convertible. nothing beats riding on a nice day with no roof on a car except a bike. IMO the rt10 got all the peformance of the gts with better looks so its a nobrainer

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.