Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all the members.

I'm new to this forum and relatively new to Vipers. This is directed at Luisv's article, but anyone can chime in. Short story is I bought a 2000GTS salvage title car. it was a running car but sat for 3+ years. it's now in my garage having not run and fuel in the tank.

Hey Luisv,

I hope this note finds you well and still active on the forum..

Need some help after reading your well written procedure on the fuel tank removal. I bought a running 2000 GTS which has been sitting for 3+ years with fuel in the tank. I'd like to be able to just drain the tank. What is the best way to do that short of removing the tank? I suspect there may be a couple of places I could disconnect the fuel line and hopefully activate the fuel pump to empty it out.

What do you suggest?

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Don't run the fuel pump as it is really old gas to drain the tank. You can f up the pump.

Better to go through the filler neck since it is 3+ old fuel. It is going the be a pain in the ass to feed line down it. I tried it with what i had around but gave up and drain it with the pump at the manifold connection.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't run the fuel pump as it is really old gas to drain the tank. You can f up the pump.

Better to go through the filler neck since it is 3+ old fuel. It is going the be a pain in the ass to feed line down it. I tried it with what i had around but gave up and drain it with the pump at the manifold connection.
Is the fuel pump internal to the tank? How about using a $30 12v fuel pump at the filter connection?

·
Registered
24,214 Posts
Easy to access the pump in the tank on a gen2 GTS

·
Registered
787 Posts
Easy to access the pump in the tank on a gen2 GTS
Super easy in my opinion too. My C4 still has the ease of access part beat.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Behind the seats, remove the carpet behind the headrests and you will see the pump assembly. Maybe pick up a service manual

·
Registered
787 Posts
I'm guessing that access is via the trunk? And if I can remove the pump then that would be ideal for using a manual pump to empty it?
It's directly under the circle portion shown below, behind the seats.

Car Hood Light Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Landscaping Professional
14,401 Posts
That's what your '98 looks like? I guess they started using the RT/10 removable closeout panel starting that year?
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Light

·
Registered
787 Posts
I was diffidently surprised when I saw the panel there. I'm the 2nd owner of the car and never met the first owner (bought the car used as a trade in to a Dodge dealership) so it's entirely possible some work was done and it's not stock that way. Not sure though. Maybe someone other 98+ owners that get their hands dirty can advise if they have the closeout panel too.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I don’t think they ever had the panel there from the factory. I had to pull the tank on my 02 GTS and had to cut the rear tub and install that same panel. What a fun job that was…..

·
Registered
2001 Viper GTS
14 Posts
A small kerosene pump worked for me after removing the pump. There are battery powered and hand pump. Both in the $12-$20 range.
Audio equipment Font Gadget Electric blue Service
or
Bicycle part Auto part Rim Fashion accessory Automotive tire

Car Vehicle Hood Trunk Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Seems like the Demoncrat way to empty the tank may just be the best?

Cordless drill, 1/4" bit on lowest point of the tank.

Thank me later...

·
Premium Member
19,755 Posts
I don’t think they ever had the panel there from the factory. I had to pull the tank on my 02 GTS and had to cut the rear tub and install that same panel. What a fun job that was…..

Unless the tank is cracked, you should not need to pull it. Pretty easy access to the fuel basket.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts