Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering upgrading my '94 RT 10 and buying a '97 Hennessey Venom 600 instead. I have several questions:

1. Will the Hennessey be maintainable? I drive my Viper a great deal and don't want a garage queen that *I* can't fix when it needs it.

2. I've heard mixed reviews of Hennessey's cars. Some say that some of the cars don't have all the mods they were supposed to have. Any truth in this?

3. Not that it really matters, but just how much worse will the gas mileage be?

4. This car is VERY low. The current owner said it has adjustable shocks. Isn't it very rare for shocks to be adjustable for height though? I thought the style of suspension on the Viper doesn't allow the shocks to determine ride height anyway. That's up to the coil springs. Any chance the shocks could be adjustable for height?

5. How reliable are the Hennessey cars?

6. Anyone want a nice-but-high-miles (for a Viper) '94 RT/10? /images/graemlins/wink

--Rob

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's going to be tough for someone that doesn't know anything about you except what you just posted here to determine whether or not you'll be able to fix your own car. Do you have a metric crescent wrench? Do you know what a DR23SL bit is? Do you understand how the doppleganger reference of the triangiometric flowdometer directly influences the clantorontric curve?

If you answered YES to any of the above questions, you should stop huffing butane.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
1 - most certainly. But like any car, have it checked out for normal 97 viper wear and tear. I would worry less about the Hennessy mods and more about the shape of the car in general.

2 - no question that he builds fast cars. Come out to the V-10 Nats on the way to VOI and you are certain to be in for a treat. John's also an easy guy to talk to, so give him a call and he'll chat it up w/ you. He knows his stuff too.

3 - depends on how much heavier your foot gets. probably not that much worse.

4 - shocks are adjustable both for ride height _and_ for compression / rebound. should be easy to put it up on a lift and fix that in 45 minutes or less.

5 - I don't have one, but a neighbor of mine has a 650 car w/ lots of bells and whistles. Oh yeah... and NOS. The thing hauls butt and he has over 40k on the car.

6 - wife said no, but I wish I could!

JD

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yeah. Good point Slaphappy. I'm usually on the umm...other board.

I've always maintained all of my cars. My father has been a Mercedes technician for 33 years so I was raised around it. I've worked on everything from Fiats to DeLoreans and Bentleys to Morgans. I've rebuilt engines, replaced rusted out quarter panels, tuned carbs and EFIs, painted (still working on that one) a car or two and even maintained a formula racecar for a few years. So far on the Viper I've replaced the clutch, MAP sensor, slave cylinder, torqued the heads, replaced the exhaust gaskets, tightened the intake, rebuilt the wiper motors, replaced the motor mounts, etc etc. So, I'm no slouch but I'm not quite a pro either. Most of my equipment is for older cars though.

My next project is restoring a '58 Studebaker that was my grandfather's and maybe turning a Miata into a spec SCCA racer (to replace my formula car). Ok enough of that. What I'm trying to say is it really isn't a matter of knowing how to do things on the Hennessey but a matter of being able to get the parts. Special-ordering them is fine, I just don't want to have to spend a month researching where to find a brake pad, for example. I'll have enough of that to do with the Studebaker.

I've had adjustable shocks on other cars but never ones that could be adjusted for ride height. On a system like the Viper's, where you have the shock inside the coil spring, how does the shock influence the ride height? I would think that having it extended and stiffened enough to make the car ride higher would require the shock to be way too stiff. What obvious thing am I missing here?

--Rob

·
Registered
865 Posts
One of our club guys (Tom) has just taken his 600 venom over to NZ, the car was originally brought by Bill Gates for a UK employee who had it a while then sold it on. Apprantly it was a stock GTS but the parts and a hennessey employee was flown over to install the kit.

The car has run faultlessly on short local trips around town to long distant high speed runs to Lemans, Tom has never had any problems at all, and has proven his Venom 600 to be very quick on track. :thumb: he's now fitted a Nos BTR kit to it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well Terry, the '94 just turned 60K miles which, while not outrageous, is on the high side for Vipers. The paint is beautiful but has the normal scratches from putting the windows and soft top on. It comes with two tops (one soft, one hard) and three sets of windows (two soft, one hard). One set of soft windows needs buffing and the hard slider windows need some work too. I'm probably looking in the low 30's I think.

It occurs to me to offer it first to the person I'm buying the Venom from as the only reason he's selling is the Venom is way too low to go up his driveway or get into his garage.

I like the idea of selling mine to someone from the board as opposed to ebaying it though. If you're intersted in it, (this goes for anyone), send your contact info to [email protected] and I'll call you.

--Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To answer my own question, the adjustable shocks are all of the coilover type. There is a coiled spring built onto the shock that supplements the action of the regular larger coil spring. The spring on the shock is mounted on an adjustable perch on the body of the shock. The perch moves up and down changing the ride height of the car. The car has JRZ shocks which are all adjustable but only one model is adjustable for height. I'll visually inspect the car to determine if it's ride-height adjustable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.