Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd appreciate feedback from Gen II owners, especially pre-2001, about their level of satisfaction with the factory braking system. In reviewing the car mag statistics, it appears that 80-0 performance is about on a par with a Ford Taurus! Coming from the Vette world (and trying to convince myself I need a Viper), those numbers are, frankly, horrifying. (I've had to make panic stops to avoid deer several times, and the C5 stops on a dime.) I know 2001 and later have ABS, but can find no data on whether that improves stopping distance. Anyone here with experience, good or bad?
I also realize I can put on aftermarket braking systems like Brembo and StopTech, but that's another expense. Any feedback welcome, as I've been bitten by the Viper bug, but can't get past this hurdle right now. :nod:

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
You'll find that opinions cover the range.

A lot of very good road racers say, buy new pads and fluid, and you're good to go. A lot of other people, including very good road racers, have braking systems capable of stopping an aircraft carrier dead in it's tracks.

You should also decide based on whether you're going to run the car in organized events, which may push you into modified classes just because of your brakes.

In my personal opinion, the stock brakes aren't too great. I kind of went overkill when I replaced mine, but I'm definitely happy with them. One thing is for sure -- if you decide you don't like them, you have a vast universe of options available to you.

Run some searches, it's been discussed at great length in this forum in the past.

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
The stopping distance is improved on the ABS cars - mainly cause dodge was able to add more rear bias given that the computer could unlock the wheels.

Go with an 01 or later car with new pads and you won't be disappointed.

As a side note, I've been in an 01 with the StopTech 4 wheel kit and it is the most impressive braking car I've ever been in (short of a race car). You have to hold your eyeballs in.

The ONLY thing I would change about my 99 is I would like the ABS, but once you learn to threshhold brake well, its not as big a deal. Like you said though, its the panic situations where ABS is nice.

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
If you dont want expenses; get an 01 and theyre just fine.

myself; StopTech are truly impressive. They will stop on a dime and give you nine cents change. ive not done any major upgrades to my 99 except pads, rotors and brakelines but even with that little bit the difference was very satisfactory with stock power. now i will be doing stoptech in a couple weeks due to power upgrades.

i personally dont like ABS because of lineloc issues /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all for the replies. My thinking right now is to get a 2001 or 2002.

Appreciate it! :nod:

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
gnosys said:
Thanks to all for the replies. My thinking right now is to get a 2001 or 2002.

Oh...make no mistake about it...YOU'VE BEEN BIT!!! There's no doubt...you need a Viper..

1. StopTech brake upgrade = $3500

2. Rebuilding your V10 because your latest "power adder" cracked a hypereuretic piston = $9500

3. Get a 99-GTS/ACR/RT...whatever...add the brakes...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.