Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what y'all would recommend? RT/10 or GTS. Sorry no ACR's. Here's the deal. This car will pretty much be driven every other-ish day. The thing with the RT/10 is if i go out in it, the top either has to go with me or if not...there is no where to store it. So it just stays at home. Also, it will probably end up being modded within the next 1 1/2 to 2 years, and raced. Also, I like the look of the GTS, but is it true the cabin heats up easily? I want to be as comfortable as possible. Just give me your imputs. Thanks!!

Matthew Haynes

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
Cats will come out, and replaced with either high flows or preferable NO cats, whenever you do the exhaust...this will eliminate the cabin heat...

·
Out to lunch
10,529 Posts
Its just a car. It will work fine as a Daily driver. The RT's have soft tops that do fit in the trunk but the GTS is a bit more practical. It has an AC and they do work. If comfort is your goal, this is probably not a wise choice.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't mean that kind of comfortbility, I meant as in how much cabin space do you have in a GTS as opposed to a RT/10?

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
MHaynes772 said:
I didn't mean that kind of comfortbility, I meant as in how much cabin space do you have in a GTS as opposed to a RT/10?
Virtually the same...GTS has more headroom than when the top is on the RT...

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
MHaynes772 said:
I was wondering what y'all would recommend? RT/10 or GTS. Sorry no ACR's. Here's the deal. This car will pretty much be driven every other-ish day. The thing with the RT/10 is if i go out in it, the top either has to go with me or if not...there is no where to store it. So it just stays at home. Also, it will probably end up being modded within the next 1 1/2 to 2 years, and raced. Also, I like the look of the GTS, but is it true the cabin heats up easily? I want to be as comfortable as possible. Just give me your imputs. Thanks!!

Matthew Haynes
Matt, the above may be the most important part of your search. The '02 you found is a sweet ride, but honestly IMO I would save the 10-12k and get a 98 or 99, so when you do mod you will be ready to unleash the power without having to rebuild a motor.

GTS' inheriently are faster cars because of less drag. If you want ultimate speed and performance get the GTS. If you want the luxury of open air driving at 180+ get the RT.

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
From the VCA Classifieds

Subcategories: '99 GTS

Price 49,800

Year 1999

Model ACR Coupe

Mileage 23K

Exterior Color SILVER

Interior Color Black leather

Accessories A/C
Comfort Package (ACR only)

For Sale By VCA Member

Description

Turn key and go, Full factory warranty, new tires and all maintenance, Tons of MGW upgrades, B&B Exhaust with high flow cats, over $5k in upgrades. Viper also comes with factory warranty w/ 0 deductible and maintenance is up to date. Also has $10,000 ACR package and comfort & convenience group. Reduced Price For Immediate Sale. (813) 918-2494

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I looked and I think it may be different, but yeah I am drooling over that one.

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
no real difference other than preference. RT10s do seem to end up being the viper of choice by the "cooler" dudes though /images/graemlins/toothy

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Matt,

here's some good advice....

The RT can do everythign a GTS can (just keep the roof on). The GTS, however, cannot do what an RT can (go topless). So that should be settled. It boils down to cosmetics and whether you're going to put a stereo in it or whatever. John mentioned that the GTS is a bit faster...Not to any noticeable degree. I got plenty of friends with GT's RT's etc. and it's virtually negligible, especially if you mod the car so...with that being said. It boils down to pure preference of cosmetics as both cars are for all pactical purposes identical. I must go topless as I don't drive the car every day, etc...

I did tell yo about the cabin heat...but I also told you that the cats come one and the heat comes with it, etc.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Here's a few numbers- (from Paolo)

With the hard top RT/10's have a CD of about .45 and with top off a CD of .50.

For a CD of .45 you will need approximately 624 RWHP to go 200 MPH.(Hard top on)
For a CD of .50 you will need approximately 684 RWHP to go 200 MPH. Top off

Compare this to a GTS needing "Only" 514 RWHP to do the same 200 MPH.

Also an RT requires 80 more rwhp to reach 150 mph (in the same time frame) as compared to a GTS.

Stock for stock at low speeds, I agree, not much noticeable difference.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I love the looks of both the cars...but it just boils down to that I love the race style of the GTS. Plus, a LITTLE more cargo space. Also, I know I'm going to end up modding so I think that I should go GTS. Anyway, it'll just be something different from you and John...also, there are a couple GTS's I'm looking at...One's black (don't think I want black...to hard to keep clean)...and then there's Saphire blue...that'll probably be the winner. But there's two blue, one with silver stripes and one solid blue...what do you think?

Matt

PS- Norm, PM me, I have to ask you something important. Thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts