Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Lately, I have been having trouble shifting into 1st gear from deadstop. It feels like I am hitting/grinding on something about 1/2 into shifting to 1st. And then, I would have to force it in the rest of the way to complete the shift. Dodge dealership claims that it's normal. I don't think it is since it just started doing this. Has anyone else experience this? What could be causing this. The problem is sporadic and doesn't do it all the time. And if I put it in reverse, the 1st gear is very easy to engage.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance

· Registered
5,275 Posts
1: Clutch is almost worn out.
2: Slave Cylinder is going bad or low on fluid.
3: First gear synchronizers in the trans going bad.

It sounds like the clutch is just about worn out, It will up shift and down shift like normal since the gears are synchronized.
Does is up shift and downshift OK? but to go from neutral from a stop then to put it in first gear is grinds or takes more force than normal.

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
brianflynn - thanks for the reply. I will check out the fluids tomorrow but as far as i can see they were normal. I have about 10k miles on the car so I doubt that cluch is worn out already - but who knows! The car drives fine and i have no other issues other than difficulty shifting into 1st sporadically. Again, it's not a huge issue, it will always shift into 1st but i have to fanagle it little. I am little confused by your last sentence.

· Registered
10,436 Posts
Does the clutch pedal seem like it's harder to push to the floor these days???

I'm goin with brian and spray: Clutch is almost worn out

PS: I was gonna be a jackass and tell ya that the 300C has an auto...trade up...but I refrained.

Your welcome.

· Premium Member
5,177 Posts
Mine does the same on rare occasion. Release the clutch, clutch in again and that will usually do it. Although, there's usually a bit of panic when everyone at the light leaves and you're still sitting there!

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mark - you hit it right on the nail. I was pretty damn embarrassed stopped at a light desperately trying to shub it in 1st gear. I just hope it doesn't do any damage by forcing it into a gear with clutch fully depressed....

· Registered
224 Posts
Normal..mine does the same thing...4000 miles and my clutch is fine...just shift from 3-4 and 2-1 and it goes in everytime...gear alignment issue when at a complete stop only...roll thru a stop sign and it never happens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.