Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first Viper a few weeks ago - drove it around town about 4-5 times and always flawless, including last night. It was parked in my garage, and this morning went to start it. It started but stalled within a second. Tried it again and same thing. Verified the key fob was unlocked and the double flash occurred and tried again - same thing. Then tried the manual unlock in the glove box thing and still nothing. After a few more tries it now won't even fire - just cranks.

I next verified the gas relay (in the trunk) clicks when first in ignition mode and it does. Checked oil and it is full and clean (thought maybe these have a low oil cutoff and maybe that might be issue - but again oil full).

I think the anti-theft system is on. I read that the ecm and anti-theft can stop communicating and the trick is to disconnect the positive cable from under hood and after a few minutes reconnect which is supposed to solve this. I tried that and still no fire - just cranking.

Would really appreciate some other advice what to check. Thanks

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Sounds fuel related. Did the fuel pump died? When you key-on can you hear the pump prime (primes for a couple seconds then shuts off)? You may have to check for fuel pressure.

You may have to scan for pending codes, a failing or failed crank or cam sensor can cause symptoms like this - but that usually throws a code or pending fault.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did more testing. I don't think it is fuel anymore, but rather ignition. On the shrader valve, fuel squirts out if I push the pin - so this means the system is pressurized, at least to the point it would fire up for a few seconds. Being it no longer does leads me to ignition. More reading I did suggested the asd system, and yes the crank and cam sensors. Though I did just check for codes, and none there. Would the crank or cam sensor always through a code if they are bad? As for the asd, I checked the relay (swapped it with one of the other relays) and that made no difference - I also checked the pcm/asd fuse for continuity and it was fine

Any other suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so I confirmed it is fuel - I tested for spark and have it. I also removed the air tubes (to ensure adequate air) and that made no difference. Though I then sprayed a little starter fluid up the tube and it started for a second. So fuel delivery issue. Does anyone have some suggestions where to start to diagnose

·
Registered
362 Posts
Push the gas pedal to the floor.
Start the vehicle.
What happens?

·
Kitty Wrangler Denali Owner
8,689 Posts
Pix of car on fire or it didn't happen.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Was the car in storage by any chance? If you have adequate fuel pressure to the Schrader valve then your pump should be OK and spark makes me think the ignition system is OK which tells me the injectors aren't firing. I ask about storage as critters real love to live under the intake and could have chewed some things up. I could be sending you on a wild goose chase but I would test to verify signal to all the injectors and look for loose connections/wires going to the fuel injectors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fixed it!!! It was the alarm - although the FOB was working as it should (ie activating it and deactivating, including if the alarm was purposely set), the module was somehow stuck in 'activated' mode - a tech was able to hard reset the module. After that it fired up on first crank and is running awesome again.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Sweet. I have to admit I know almost nothing about the alarm system. I figured it'd cut the ASD relay which I thought cuts fuel & spark.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts