Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local dealer here cannot adjust the doors on my yellow black viper. both doors are rubbing the seal when you close the door. (Drivers side is real bad)

they say it is not covered in warrantty due to the fact I have aftermarket interior.

what can be done? how do you adjust the stupid door?

·
Registered
33,838 Posts
I have a similar problem with my right side door & stock interior. It is adjusted forward as far as I can get it to go. Any more, & it hits the dash corner pretty severly, yet the rear of the armrest still scrapes against the gasket. Any tips?

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Re: HELP my doors need adjusting!

You can move the door panel on the door. I do it all of the time when the door to body alignment is perfect and I don't want to mess with it. Most of the time it will take car of it. The two screws behind the speakers go into a piece of plastic that sits in a slotted hole. Slide the plastic pieces forward, apply moderate pressure at the rear of the panel and put the screws back in (you must have all screws out to do this). You can tell how much you have moved the panel by the screw location at the front of the panel (you may have to make another hole there). The lower panel screw attaching point is also slotted. The screw by the door handle goes into a plastic "receptacle" so you just put it right back in.

In some cases where the door alignment is perfect and moving the panel does not cure the issue, I remove the weatherstrip from the body at the door opening. Take a file and remove the material under the weatherstrip so it will sit further down in the area it is contacting the door panel. I have not had any sealing issues after doing this.

Open your door slowly and see if it "falls" downward when opening. That usually indicates a hinge that has slop in it. That lets the door look good when closed because it jumps up on the striker after hitting the weatherstip. You can adjust the hinge but you can compromise the body lines. In this case, the best thing to do is replace the hinge. To adjust the hinge, remove the hinge cover (just in front of the door***and watch for falling body shims***) AND LUBE THAT HINGE WHILE YOUR THERE! I usually take the top 2, sometimes 3 bolts barely loose and pick up on the back of the door. Have the door just barely open and have some help! Pick up just enough to see the door hinge move and retighten the bolts. TAKE BABY STEPS! These doors SUCK ASS to realign! Hope this helps.

DW

·
Registered
12,999 Posts

David, i have slight wind noise in the upper corner of my drivers window. you think that is caused by improper door alignment? or weather stripping? or can you not tell w/o actually seeing it? thanks!

·
Registered
3,153 Posts

this is really good info to know. I have never heard of Vipers having this problem, or the wind noise problem in a GTS. C-5's had door-glass alignment problems like a mofo, but were adjustable.

·
Registered
33,838 Posts

David Weaver said:
You can move the door panel on the door. I do it all of the time when the door to body alignment is perfect and I don't want to mess with it. Most of the time it will take car of it. The two screws behind the speakers go into a piece of plastic that sits in a slotted hole. Slide the plastic pieces forward, apply moderate pressure at the rear of the panel and put the screws back in (you must have all screws out to do this). You can tell how much you have moved the panel by the screw location at the front of the panel (you may have to make another hole there). The lower panel screw attaching point is also slotted. The screw by the door handle goes into a plastic "receptacle" so you just put it right back in.

In some cases where the door alignment is perfect and moving the panel does not cure the issue, I remove the weatherstrip from the body at the door opening. Take a file and remove the material under the weatherstrip so it will sit further down in the area it is contacting the door panel. I have not had any sealing issues after doing this.

Open your door slowly and see if it "falls" downward when opening. That usually indicates a hinge that has slop in it. That lets the door look good when closed because it jumps up on the striker after hitting the weatherstip. You can adjust the hinge but you can compromise the body lines. In this case, the best thing to do is replace the hinge. To adjust the hinge, remove the hinge cover (just in front of the door***and watch for falling body shims***) AND LUBE THAT HINGE WHILE YOUR THERE! I usually take the top 2, sometimes 3 bolts barely loose and pick up on the back of the door. Have the door just barely open and have some help! Pick up just enough to see the door hinge move and retighten the bolts. TAKE BABY STEPS! These doors SUCK ASS to realign! Hope this helps.

DW
Thanks for the info. I'll try that this weekend. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
634 Posts

RedSnakeGTS said:
David, i have slight wind noise in the upper corner of my drivers window. you think that is caused by improper door alignment? or weather stripping? or can you not tell w/o actually seeing it? thanks!
Eric, most likely it is the window out of adjustment. The windows can be moved in/out, up/down, forward/backward. Could be a number of things, best to put an eye on something like that. DW

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts

Roof; mine was a hinge problem and despite interior changes, it was still covered under warranty,it did take a bit of constructive bitching but it was worth it. noew hinge and new stripping fixed problem.

·
Registered
12,999 Posts

David Weaver said:
RedSnakeGTS said:
Eric, most likely it is the window out of adjustment. The windows can be moved in/out, up/down, forward/backward. Could be a number of things, best to put an eye on something like that. DW

thanks so much! nothing like a resident Tech, and nothing like the resident tech being the best viper tech around :thumb:

·
Registered
863 Posts
Just like everyone that has posted - I had the same problem and even with the door in perfect alignment the door would rub. Pull the door seal up about six inches each side of the area that is rubbing. Take a dremel tool and take approsimately 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch off. Do this to a 4-6" area. Taper it into the untouched area. Merely put the gasket back down and your rubbing is fixed. Obviously this will not fix bad hinges or mis-alignment. I then took black liquid shoe polish to touch up the area that was rubbing.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts

RedSnakeGTS said:
IT"S going to have wind noise at 150 mph.

·
Registered
12,999 Posts

brianflynn said:
RedSnakeGTS said:
IT"S going to have wind noise at 150 mph.

oh. /images/graemlins/sad

/images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.