Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2005 Race Yellow Viper (~35K miles), one owner great car, but I am getting major back aches the day after I drive it. I have spinal stenosis so I use a wedge cushion to keep me from falling to far into the hole that is the bottom back of the seat, but that is not enough. Maybe it is the constant bumping around when these things hit road imperfections?

Has anyone else had issues with back aches? Mine is so bad now that my Doc put me on steroids and I am likely going to miss some golf and my first week on bowling.

I may have to sell it. I bought it for $51K and put new tires on it and a new battery. If I can't find a solution I would likely be looking to get out of it for what I have in it.

Any suggestions are welcome!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bad back and golf? Good luck with sale.
I can drop golf because I don't really like it that much. I do not want to drop bowling as I was a former pro/high level amature and want to bowl on the senior tour next spring. I love the car so I would like to find a fix, but I guess I can do without that, too...

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
It’s probably not the driving that’s jacking your back it’s the manner you’re entering & exiting the cockpit.

Not sure about your physical conditioning or size but slithering in & out smoothly took some practice for me. Good luck!

Oh forgot to mention- show me a bad back & I’ll show you a weak front.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Liked mentioned above, open the door and face away from the door with your back yo the door opening, get in with your butt with both feet on the ground then spin in. Never get in with 1 feet in the car and the other out.

Same with getting out. Spin, plant both feet on the ground and get out. Forget the 1 feet in 1 feet out.

Take that and repot back.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Liked mentioned above, open the door and face away from the door with your back yo the door opening, get in with your butt with both feet on the ground then spin in. Never get in with 1 feet in the car and the other out.

Same with getting out. Spin, plant both feet on the ground and get out. Forget the 1 feet in 1 feet out.

Take that and repot back.
^^exactly. Elbow on rear of door frame on the exit if/as needed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the great advice guys!

I am 5'9" and 160 in pretty good shape, but I am 60... I lift with a personal trainer 3 times a week, but my back has been messed up on an off for years; however my past Vipers never bothered me. A C6 Corvette I had years ago bothered it so I sold it quickly and got into another Viper.

Yes, I need a lot of work on my abs. I am going to see a PT on Monday. The only good thing is I am not overweight with a big belly so that is not putting strain on my back. Hopefully, I can build up my abs. My Orthopedic Doc started me on steroids for 5 days to try to stop the inflammation. I got a decent deal when I bought it so if I have to sell I should be ok.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Thanks for the great advice guys!

I am 5'9" and 160 in pretty good shape, but I am 60... I lift with a personal trainer 3 times a week, but my back has been messed up on an off for years; however my past Vipers never bothered me. A C6 Corvette I had years ago bothered it so I sold it quickly and got into another Viper.

Yes, I need a lot of work on my abs. I am going to see a PT on Monday. The only good thing is I am not overweight with a big belly so that is not putting strain on my back. Hopefully, I can build up my abs. My Orthopedic Doc started me on steroids for 5 days to try to stop the inflammation. I got a decent deal when I bought it so if I have to sell I should be ok.
60 is the new 35. Stay busy & overactive. Do some research on anti-inflammatory diets & pitch the processed foods. Celery is your friend, lots of it.

Although you may have one of the few defective Vipers that I’ve heard about. Seat backs a few degrees off, ergonomics just not quite right with the steering wheel placement, etc. I’d unload it now before others learn about your flawed snake. $24-$30k should move it to the next victim. Hey, let me know?:cool:

·
Landscaping Professional
14,561 Posts
I am 5'9" and 160 in pretty good shape, but I am 60... I lift with a personal trainer 3 times a week, but my back has been messed up on an off for years; Yes, I need a lot of work on my abs.
We are very close in age and physical build. I slipped the first disc above my pelvis when I was 27 and it slowed me down for a while when I was in the best shape of my life. In my 50's I got 35# too heavy and out of shape and my back was reallly bothering me a lot. Over the last 4 years, I knocked the weight off, ate better and started my Bowflex again 3-4x/wk. I focus a LOT on my core strength and try to isolate all the muscle groups in the lower back and abs, plus good stretching beforehand. I feel really good and my back is not a problem anymore.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The only thing I could suggest is the obvious. Do 2 minutes of stretching before getting in and 10 minutes of stretching after you get out of the car. This would have to be an almost religious-like ritual if it is to help at all. Then maybe another 5 minutes of stretching before settling in for the evening/ going to sleep.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thank both of you for your recommendations. Dean, I am glad your back is better. You know, I did the same thing at 27 landscaping pulling a bush out of the ground that still had the tap root attached... my back lost. It has never been the same. Your results give me hope!!! Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I thank both of you for your recommendations. Dean, I am glad your back is better. You know, I did the same thing at 27 landscaping pulling a bush out of the ground that still had the tap root attached... my back lost. It has never been the same. Your results give me hope!!! Thanks!
Hello, I have a 2009 Viper Coupe and this is my first post. Since I've had the same problems with my lower back for 3 years, I just wanted to give you my opinion on it. The problem is not the car, but our muscles, which continue to shorten over time and lose elasticity. Dean is absolutely right. You need to stretch your muscles and move more again. But it will be a very difficult road once it has come to this. But you really have no alternative. The problem is that most doctors have absolutely no idea about these connections. All sorts of expensive therapies and interventions were prescribed to me for over 3 years, but they actually only treated the symptoms and not the cause. This made things only get worse. Painkillers are also not a permanent solution and will only make the problem worse if you don't treat the cause at the same time. Over time, the muscles become so inelastic that the pressure on the intervertebral discs and joints increases more and more through the muscles alone. During movement, wear and tear increases under the increased pressure to such an extent that it exceeds the body's regeneration capacity. This causes inflammation and osteoarthritis. However, the pain usually does not come from this, but from the permanently overloaded muscles. You can only reverse this process by stretching the muscles again and making them elastic. But that is a hard and time-consuming path at this age. It can also be associated with a lot of pain, but there is no other way. I speak from personal experience. But don't expect a quick fix. It will take months or even years for your body to rebuild its muscles. But that only happens if you train daily and create stimuli for renewal. This can lead to more pain as the body fights back. After daily stretching, the pain will likely increase temporarily as well, because the muscles respond to the stretch with increased tension to protect themselves. This is a natural protective reaction. But you just have to keep training hard every day and trust that eventually you'll get better. Trust me. You can watch many suitable exercises on YouTube. There is a lot of good information out there on the subject. I follow many good channels on the subject and have watched many hundreds of hours of videos on the subject. Unfortunately, it doesn't make sense that I give you recommendations for the videos because I'm from Germany and almost exclusively follow German-speaking channels. Feel free to contact me with any further questions on the subject. I've gained a lot of knowledge on this topic and I'm happy to help. You will still experience many low points and have to motivate yourself again and again. I speak from my own experience and would like to help you. I hope that my post will help you and give you courage. Warm greetings from Germany

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Excellent post. Dealing with this specifically right now myself. 60 next month. Very active but do not take the time to maintain range of movement or any appreciable stretching routine. Its now caught up to me as described above and I'm now on a daily foam rolling, stretching, and ball massage routine. I'm finding my hip flexors are really contributing to my lower back spasms since when I hit them with my rolling on a ball routine...Wowza...quads, glutes, hammys, and calves are all contributing to my lower back issues. If you think its isolated in the lower back, that is just the area that is being permanently overloaded as discussed above. I'm hopeful that by working on all these related muscle and connective tissue areas, the stress on the lower back erectors will be eased. SO far so good. I feel great after a stretching and rolling routine...takes about 20-30 minutes a day...but you have to do it and be consistent. That is tough to do.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,561 Posts
I have a minimum 5 minute daily stretch routine - neck, shoulders, chest, trunk, hips, glutes, quads, hams and calves. On my every-other day average workout, I go to 8-9 minutes of stretching and another 15-20 of resistance work with range of motion focus. Plus pushups, pull-ups, and rack leg lifts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts