Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was cruising home ( I live in NYC) and I started to smell something. Kind of like “fumes” but I had the top down and just sort of brushed it aside. I thought it can’t be my 2004 with 16k on it lol...

kept driving another 5 miles or so and I started to pay attention to the oil pressure. I noticed it started to fall much lower then at normal cruising speeds. Caught my eye went it was hitting 25-35 psi range. I also had the music on a little loud and in the back of my brain I thought, “do I hear knocking?” Or is it the the really shitty pavement along the west side highway!

Fear set in regardless and I costed to a spot I could pull over and inspected the car.

Oil was sprayed all over the right side of the car. Saw it was leaking from somewhere. I don’t know if I busted a line / pan / are there known issues on during these years.

thoughts?

Had the car towed. My car is currently at a Dodge Dealer in Paramus NJ. My gut tells me to let them Inspect, BUT I feel like I need to bring the car to someone who is experienced and a straight shooter.

Any suggestions, thoughts would be extremely appreciated!

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Check oil cooler lines.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check oil cooler lines.
oil hose came off. Dealer said last place that did my oil change fucked up.

there was no metal in the oil they said. Wondering if I should do a compression test since oil pressure dropped quickly on me?

Apparently they have to clean the whole car / change fluids. Oil went everywhere.... nice $1000 mistake this cost me.

·
Gone Nomad
6,155 Posts
As someone who cracked a rod and had it go through the oil galley, my advice would be to feel good about it only being 1k.

Lucky you noticed so quickly, these engines don’t do well with oil starvation...

·
Registered
3,960 Posts

there was no metal in the oil they said. Wondering if I should do a compression test since oil pressure dropped quickly on me?

Apparently they have to clean the whole car / change fluids. Oil went everywhere.... nice $1000 mistake this cost me.
What oil hose? You don't come close to a oil hose while changing oil. You sure it wasn't a oil cooler hose that blew?

·
Registered
685 Posts

So line repair/replace, spray industrial degreaser & pressure washer with an oil change is $1k? Last time in a stealership they broke 2 studs on wifeys Jeep & expected me to pay to replace them while using gun to start lugs vs hand spin then gun. Denied this of course. Nope

I'd let them fix line & new oil/filter there & pick it up. Clean up the mess myself as in degrease at nearest self-serve wash after pulling out, especially tires or anything that could drip/spray the rubber . Read carefully with getting degreaser on paint/tire other than road surface/etc.
Baby her home & clean it up right. At least you weren't working it hard as in oil on tires, could make for a bad day. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
19,102 Posts
You dodged a MAJOR bullet. Good thing you kept an eye on your oil pressure.

·
Registered
23,023 Posts
The next bullet will be the dealer in Paramus. There isn't a dealer in NJ I'd trust to change my oil. Not one ... This state (currently in NJ at my dad's) sucks for viper repair. Chuck Tator is close enough and I'd trust him to change oil

1 - 8 of 8 Posts