Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a good Helmet for the Track? Open face / Close face. Also where is a good place to buy it online.

Thanks

·
Hooray for me, & fuck you
7,863 Posts
well its your head.. but if i get launched at the steering wheel at 140mph i want my chin protected..

i heard http://www.helmetcity.com has some deals..

http://www.tracksidesupply.com/

etc..

i have a bell m3

i would find a shop with a few helemts and try them on.. comfort is as important as safety..

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
SCDaveNY said:
What a good Helmet for the Track? Open face / Close face. Also where is a good place to buy it online.
Thanks
Open face is only acceptable for autocross IMO.
Stick with a full face for track use. Are you in NY?
Behrents is an excellent supplier. I got my Simpson there.

·
Banned
26,067 Posts
SCDaveNY said:

Thanks

As ryan said www.helmetcity.com tell them you are a VCA member even if you're not they don't check (you can use my member #11244) and you get a 10% discount, that could be a big savings on an expensive hat. Get a closed faced helmet, SA2000 rated, they have a section that shows you how to measure your helmet size take your time and do it right, it is important it fits right.

My last piece of advice which I was given when I bought my first race helmet, "how much is your head worth?", meaning you don't have to buy the cheapest one, get a decent one for like $350-$500.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
OMP fullface helmets are some of the better ones. That's what I use and I really like it.
Make sure you get a helmet that has the Nomex lining.

·
Banned
26,067 Posts
LETHAL GTS said:
SoCal Rebell said:
LETHAL GTS said:
Make sure you get a helmet that has the Nomex lining.

That's what the "SA" in SA2000 means :doh:

Exactly!

LETHAL are you a roadracer? I saw your reply to Pemberton's racing class. If so where do you race in the great white north?

Just read some other posts, look like you're a Tejas boy. Saw a pic of your black GTS, #6 ay, haha I'm #8 /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Tejas?!?

Anyway........I play on the road courses, I wouldn't really call it racing.

I finished 10th overall in the SStock class for Viper Days last year in the Eastern division. I got a 3rd at MAM last May and a 3rd at Brainerd as well last summer. They were the only two Viper specific events I participated in.

Other than that, we have a local 1.3 mile road coarse with 9 turns that I have fun on. At home, I kick everyones ass..........they're playing with rice though :rofl: for the most part. Some euro's as well!

Attachments

·
Banned
26,067 Posts
LETHAL GTS said:
Tejas?!?

Anyway........I play on the road courses, I wouldn't really call it racing.

I finished 10th overall in the SStock class for Viper Days last year in the Eastern division. I got a 3rd at MAM last May and a 3rd at Brainerd as well last summer. They were the only two Viper specific events I participated in.

Other than that, we have a local 1.3 mile road coarse with 9 turns that I have fun on. At home, I kick everyones ass..........they're playing with rice though :rofl: for the most part. Some euro's as well!
Tejas is what us people from Kali call Texas /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

Where you at? I finished 2nd overall in the Viperdays Western Division in Modified class last year, would gotten 1st but didn't run enough events. Got 3rd at the Viperday's Nationals in 2002 in Prepared at TWS. /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

I'm lucky regarding tracks here:

Willow springs International Raceway-65 miles
Streets of Willow Springs-65miles
California Speedway-70 miles
Buttonwillow Raceway-110 miles
Laguna Seca Raceway-250 miles
Las Vegas Int'l Raceway-270 miles
Spring Mtn.-280 miles
Infineon Raceway-300 miles
Thunderhill-450 miles

So I have 10 tracks in a 6 hour drive /images/graemlins/smiles

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Brandon Manitoba Canada.

I'm so jealous!

I've got the bug bad........just can't find the time or the money. Otherwise I would hit every Viper Days possible.
I can't say enough about you guys.
MAM is 900 miles from where I use to live (add another 125 now) and Brainerd is about 600.
You really need to hit the track to find out what these cars can do.

You ever hit some of the eastern events?

·
Banned
26,067 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Well if you ever need someone to drive for ya........as if......keep me in mind. I'm told I'm a natural........I missed my calling and got tied up in the equipment bizz. Oh well..........I own a awesome car and I'm greatfull I can track it as often as I can.
Good luck in the '04 season!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm envious, SoCal. I'm loving racing, but haven't got the money to do it nearly as much as I'd like. I'd *love* to go pro, but I don't think I have the talent for it. Skills can be learned, but that extra *something* you have to be born with.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Go for the full face and light weight models if you can afford it. If I was wearing a full face when I had my motorcycle accident a couple years ago I wouldn't have needed new teeth (ouch!).

·
Registered
13 Posts
In addition to a top of the line helmet, you MUST have a neck restraint. There are a few types including a neck collar which is in expensive and better then nothing. If you want the best...then you will need a HANS device.

Most debilitating injuries in racing come from neck injuries.

Bruce
SCCA 334552
SRF 135

1 - 20 of 20 Posts