Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hell\'s Bells, a ride with the devil

Sunday Times driving supplement, a Jeremy Clarkson article, lead upto the car appearing on his Top Gear programme

Don't shoot the messenger

[image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/1292JC.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/data/500/1292JC1.jpg[/image]

·
Registered
7,282 Posts
Re: Hell\'s Bells, a ride with the devil

You won't get English or European journalists to write rave reviews of an American car - the very concept of doing that would stick in their throat, put a cramp in their writing hand, and come out finding something to criticize, because the superlatives are reserved for British excellence, German technical perfection, and Italian passion and flare.

Ask the Japs - they've been trying for years to get into the inner sanctum - and indeed have become engraciated to a much better extent (than the American car manufacturers have) into the European press - but only because they consistently built BETTER cars than everyone else in every objective area (for the money) and because for years they have humbly accepted having their higher quality cars criticized for imagined sins, had them refined and perfected more until now only a bonehead would say a Jap car is bad.

The problem is, the American car market is in the US and therefore they do not care a rats ass for what the Europeans think - therefore it's catch 22.

Jeromy is an asshole over the SRT10 - but I still like him, and he makes everyone laugh. If the badge was an 80k pound sterling Ferrari or Aston he'd be a lot more forgiving. Being American is the SRT10's greatest evil...

He forgets that the crude gen 1 cars became much better gen 2 cars - that swept the racing circuits of Europe in GT2 for years - beating the best from Porsche and the rest by a large margin - even with their restrictor plates.....

but we do not hear from them over there "great job, great race car".... no, it is "Oh yeah - but its got a friggen 8.2 liter V10 mate!"

Yes - it does Jeromy MATE, because that is what we can buy for the road - but it is lighter and more compact than many of the multi-valve/cammed SMALLER engines you rave about - so what's your point? :fist: :nod:

·
Registered
14 Posts

Werd ,

The guy thrashed on the C6 and managed to lose a race to an pos NSX in it. They dont know how to drive a real americam muscle car :arcade:

I like my cars raw and loud and my shifter solid. /images/graemlins/tyson

·
Registered
1,959 Posts

Tw!tchb!tch said:
Werd ,

The guy thrashed on the C6 and managed to lose a race to an pos NSX in it. They dont know how to drive a real americam muscle car :arcade:

I like my cars raw and loud and my shifter solid. /images/graemlins/tyson
Jeremy didn't drive the C6, Hamster Boy Hammond did and that short fucker can't drive for shit.

·
Registered
496 Posts

Im Glad he liked it...he HATED the Corvette for being cheap and American...and was afraid that when he finally got his hands on the SRT he would hate it even more...but apparently he was able to look passed its "americanness" and see what it really is...which is something that it seems is too tough for American journalists to do let alone British ones....

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

The same car has been used for the new series of Top Gear his TV programme, its starts in October some time, hopefully the Stig will drive to. One of our new club members took his gen1 RT for a comprassion (which happens to be my old car) Clarkson wasn't aloud to trash the car, which he didnt like, he had drive the RT steadily

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.