Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Schadenfreude Connoisseur
13,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jason Heffer just called me on the way back from the track. His BRAND NEW twin turbo kit on a COMPLTELY STOCK ENGINE. Stock rockers, heads, cam, TB's. Heffner will post later. The details I know are:

1.602 60' time

ET [email protected]

1/8: [email protected]

Best MPH of the day was 143.9!!

Damn impressive for a STOCK ENGINE!! way to go Jason Heffner. San Antonio is going to be nuts.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
That is just sick! Makes me want to Turbo Charge my other car. What kind of power was it putting out?

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
It is an all Black 99 GTS(http://photos.yahoo.com/two1bar). This run was at 11psi and the dyno results at this boost level were 760rwhp/860rwtq.

I tried to convince Jason to wick the boost up and get a 9 second pass, but he wouldn't listen to me!!! /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

I would've been there to drive my car, but unfortunately my business needed to take precedence today. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Congrats Jason! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
By the way, the driver was Jamie Furman. It was an awesome day at the track and Jamie laid down multiple 10.0X runs on this stock motor beauty, one after the other. Sal P. is the owner and he has one beautiful ride!

There were also a couple of corvettes (one LPE TT vette) and a couple of Supras. Sal's TT Viper took the low ET honors and I'm pretty sure got the highest MPH too. The really interesting thing to note is that this TT car made over 100 HP less than the Heffner S/C car that ran a 9.90 a few weeks ago.

Congratulations to Sal. P and Jason Heffner!

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Sal , congrats!! This has me excited as heck!! Damn, that is one wicked ass mph!! Great job Heffner! /images/graemlins/yay.gif

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Excellent results Jason and lucky Sal P. /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

I know there's more to come, but dang - what a great debut for an honest to goodness otherwise stock setup. There's nothing dyno queen about 143mph and 10.0's, that's rock'n

:thumb:

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Sal congrats and welcome to the Alley. Stock engine with turbos...man that is awesome. Would love to see pics of the install. This beast just came out of nowhere and laid down an impressive time and as Gary said with less hp than the s/c car.
:bowdown: :thumb:

This is just amazing. 2004 is gonna be good for the Viper. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Appreciate it guys! /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif Jason deserves a great deal of credit for making this happen. I brought this project to Jason early this year and he welcomed it with a very open and positive attitude. I had no idea his capabilities would produce such an impressive setup in a short amount of time with little to no issues. Definitely one talented person with not even an ounce of demeaning mannerisms.

I can't wait to get a hold of that car. /images/graemlins/gr_driving3.gif But he's not quite done yet! ;)

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
GaryA said:
By the way, the driver was Jamie Furman. It was an awesome day at the track and Jamie laid down multiple 10.0X runs on this stock motor beauty, one after the other. Sal P. is the owner and he has one beautiful ride!

There were also a couple of corvettes (one LPE TT vette) and a couple of Supras. Sal's TT Viper took the low ET honors and I'm pretty sure got the highest MPH too. The really interesting thing to note is that this TT car made over 100 HP less than the Heffner S/C car that ran a 9.90 a few weeks ago.

Congratulations to Sal. P and Jason Heffner!

Gary, you sure said it! Congrats to Sal and Jason Heffner and Jamie Furman who drove the car!

I am shocked at the MPH! Like you said, a faster MPH than the 9 second Heffner Viper! WITH 100 LESS RWHP!

From looking at the dyno sheets, it does not make any sense as going through the gears and multiplying the HP and Torque through the gears would seem to favor the supercharger car characteristics(assuming shifting at 5800-5900 ending up around 4200-4600 RPM in the next gear)

I don't know exactly exactly why this is, but it is obvious that a Twin Turbo car is going as fast or slightly faster than a supercharged car with 100 or more RWHP. The Torque should be more of what we are looking at as the 860 RWTQ is greater than the 818 RWTQ of Russ's car.

I would be interested to see the dyno sheet's average area under the curve of both hP and TQ for both the SC and TT......

It looks like I will have my work cut out for me running John Hennessey on the highway in Texas...

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Paolo - you'll find that when you shift in the TT you'll have a huge amount of torque more than the SC cars - and that advantage is not overcome by the late high HP charge of the SC on the very top end.

It'll be close - but to get the best out of the SC you'd want close ratio box to keep the rpms up. The TT with powerglide has such flat torque curve it'll pull hard on just 2 gears. SC will fall over on a glide... it'd need a 4 speed auto... my 2 cents without studying actual graphs

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Torquemonster said:
Paolo - you'll find that when you shift in the TT you'll have a huge amount of torque more than the SC cars - and that advantage is not overcome by the late high HP charge of the SC on the very top end.

It'll be close - but to get the best out of the SC you'd want close ratio box to keep the rpms up. The TT with powerglide has such flat torque curve it'll pull hard on just 2 gears. SC will fall over on a glide... it'd need a 4 speed auto... my 2 cents without studying actual graphs
Barry, all I am thinking is that if you both start off from a dead stop and go through the gears, both 1st and 2nd will be pretty much a waste, now the supercharger car is at the top of 2nd gear (80ish MPH)multiplying the higher end TQ X 1.78 while the turbo car is shifting into 3rd at say 70 MPH ending up at 3700 RPM(torque peak area for turbo Vipers)

My SC car still has 800+ RWTQ from 4100 RPM all the way up to 5800 RPM. So 800 X 1.78 = 1424 RWTQ mulitple.

The turbo car makes 860 RWTQ at 3500 RPM and is decreasing after its peak. But 860 x 1.3 = 1118 RWTQ multiple.

Now at the point the SC car shifts into 3rd @ say 80 MPH, it has 820 RWTQ. So 820 X 1.3 = 1066 @ 80 MPH. Now the SC car's TQ and HP are rising from here(the TQ all the way to 5,000 RPM) and the HP all the way to 5800 RPM.

Now at 80 MPH the turbo car is at 4250 RPM and its TQ is probably close to falling downwards while the HP is not really rising all that fast as it is a function of the TQ.

It will be this way all the way through the gears.

I am not disputing the fact that the Turbo cars are faster, I just cannot make heads or tails of it based on the dyno graphs and the gearing charts.

I wonder at what RPM Jamie was shifting at for the 1/4 mile passes he made.

Maybe the supercharger belt slips slightly under load with the slicks grabbing like mad, who knows. It will be interesting to see the difference in the street as well as at the track.

All I know is that if Heffner's turbo car would have cut at least a .07 seconds faster 60 footer, it would have run a nine first time out! :nod:

·
Registered
806 Posts
I think a lot of the power that cannot be gauged on a dyno is the power of the turbo under load. I have ridden in several turbos and the more load the more they pull. These cars pull harder in the upper gears than they do in the bottom gears.

When we put turbos on snowmobiles and flat drag race they don't do that well. However, you put those suckers on a hill and drag race up the hill watch out. The more load the more pull, IMO.

I have no calculations to give but I know what happens in the real world. Turbos are king of HP and on the fly adjustability.

Congrats to the heffner boys for another great accomplishment.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Paolo, the important thing to realize is that TQ has very little to do with mph and alot to do with getting off the line. HP is what dictates mph and HP is what dictates how "fast" a car is. The TT car must have MUCH more area under the usable curve (I dunno what it is for a viper, say 4000-6000 rpm) to trap higher and have less peak power. There is a good writeup on the relationship b/w TQ and HP at http://www.boostaholic.com/hptq.html
Peter

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.