Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back i read that some people were experimenting with Gen III heads on a Gen II bottom end. Supposedly the the Gen III heads flow much better and would create much more h.p. and tq. when ported and matched with an appropriate cam. Has this been done yet? Can it be done?

600 r.w.h.p. and tq. on a street friendly head/cam combo would be awesome. I know its nothing compared to what you forced induction guys are used to, but 600 is a ton of power from a naturally aspirated motor imho.

I know you can get more than 600 all motor with the Gen II heads, but im guessing you would need to have a stroked and solid roller motor, not to mention some day to day drivability issues (i.e. traffic) and routine maintenance with re-adjusting the valves etc..etc.. I've just been thinking out loud in this post, forgive me babbling.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well guys are getting 540-ish on their heads/cam cars to the rear wheels (from what i have read)utilizing the Gen II heads and since the Gen III heads flow much better, you could go with a bigger cam, and thus be able to make more power right?? More flow + Bigger Cam + More port velocity = more power right.

·
Irredeemable
9,343 Posts
I've heard of 570 RWHP for sure...maybe more. I don't think I have heard of more than 600 RWHP with just Heads/Cam combo either.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
getbit said:
I've heard of 570 RWHP for sure...maybe more. I don't think I have heard of more than 600 RWHP with just Heads/Cam combo either.
That is the most I have heard. I don't know anyone that has gone with a Gen III head on a Gen II motor - yet. I think it will just be a matter of time b/c the cost/availability of Gen III heads is currently making the swap prohibative.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I do remember someone at morgue posting about putting Gen III heads on a Gen II. I am pretty sure it was a tuner as well. Maybe someone will find the thread.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks JDawg, that is the post i was talking about. Given the fact that most of the power made from an NA car lay in the heads it will be interesting to see the power numbers Gen II cars lay down with Gen III heads.

Lets assume that the Gen III heads would/could add 50 h.p. and tq. over that of comparable Gen II heads.

So take for example a Viper making 540-ish at the rear wheels, swap out those heads for Gen III heads that are ported and mated to a bigger cam and you should be in the 590 r.w.h.p range. Seems realistic to me, and i think as more time goes by and more and more Gen III heads become available we will see higher h.p. NA cars. This ofcourse could/would be carried over to forced induction cars as well. :twocents:

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
i expect to be at at least 550rwhp with my current setup from greg good. i dynoed 500rwhp at larry macedos shop in orlando last week; hot, bad clutch and two bad plug wires and it was driving me crazy figuring out why i wasnt at least 550 which is where both greg and i know we should be at. the heads are flowing 315 at .600lift. i did the 70mm TBs yesterday and the larger smooth tubes and mod airbox via Roe (all of which i didnt have on in florida) so that should help out a bit as well. realistically though, i think 550 is doable for my bucket. if i could somehow improve the A/F better (the VEC1 while a nice devide just doesnt cut it) Im sure thats the ticket as well. I cannot wait to see West Coast Viper this summer and get hold of their AEM EMS unit; between that and a 510 stroker this summer, im positive I will have a 600+ RWHP NA viper as reliable and daily driver as it was when i drove it new in 99

prior to the clutch going out on that sunday and problems with it saturday, driving around on the streets that weekend the car felt tremendous in power and torque, extreme low end was a bit wimpy but mid and high were monstrous! even driving to the track sunday morning on the road,60-140mph felt like a breeze! it just pulled and pulled.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.