Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have had my car I have noticed the headlight lenses becoming more and more spiderwebbed. Is there a viable fix on the market (Meguires headlight restore can kiss my ass), tricks of the trade, or other alternative, or is paying $800 each my only true option? Since my car is black and I am having the stock wheels repaired from the curb rash of the previous owner and redipped in black chrome, I was thinking of tinting them but wasn't sure if it would hide the cracking or not.

·
Kitty Wrangler Denali Owner
8,689 Posts
I've done the polish/restore on a number of headlights. The immediate finished result is great!

However, I've noticed, these plastic type headlight housings are coated with a sort of UV film of sorts. When you polish that away to reveal fresh plastic, the headlight plastic lens will naturally "cloud" again, but sooner.

The last set of headlights I have had any experience doing this with was 10 years ago and maybe products have been released to combat this.

If it were me:
Polish them while you're waiting for a new set on order for a kick-ass spare.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
19,200 Posts
I've done the polish/restore on a number of headlights. The immediate finished result is great!

However, I've noticed, these plastic type headlight housings are coated with a sort of UV film of sorts. When you polish that away to reveal fresh plastic, the headlight plastic lens will naturally "cloud" again, but sooner.

The last set of headlights I have had any experience doing this with was 10 years ago and maybe products have been released to combat this.

If it were me:
Polish them while you're waiting for a new set on order for a kick-ass spare.

Good luck.
If there were any new headlights. Last I checked, they have been discontinued.

·
Kitty Wrangler Denali Owner
8,689 Posts
..If there were any new headlights. Last I checked, they have been discontinued.
Well, fuck.
Now we just have to wait for some Viper nut to take up headlight lens casting as a new hobby for everyone.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think I once saw this Youtube video where a guy polishes the head lights then clear sprays them to protect against the UV. I never tried it, but maybe it will work. As 8.0L wrote, "good luck."

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was wondering about the clear coat trick. I have done that to an old Ram 1500 4x4 hunting truck and it actually worked. Sand paper the lens and hit with clear spray enamel. I guess it fills the sand marks and levels to a glassy finish. Clear as a bell and looked like new. But only lasted a few months before the clear started coming off, then it looked worse than before. That was on a 1995 with actual glass lenses though. Not plastic.

What about the headlight tint idea? Anybody know if that would hide the webbing or not? Not a fan of losing nighttime visibility, but on a black car I think it would look okay enough until a new set comes in, or somebody plasti-molds an optional product. Or would it just look like I'm trying to hide webbing?!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
The crazing on my lens goes through and through. I cover them with smoke tint headlight lens film. I don't like the way that looks either.

·
Registered
969 Posts

Guy does some crazy good stuff & has some "odd" solutions for just about any appearance/detailing issues. His stuff has been out there for many moons & has a good collection of tricks/tips. His leather seat repairs/restorations are mind boggling.

Someone posted recently about repairing a seat tear? I haven't looked through his collection but may be worth a quick search...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've done the wetsand/polish/PlasticX thing on a number of vehicles, with the same result as others (they last about a year). In the past I just did it every spring and called it good. Skip the kit, get the various grits of sandpaper and polishing pads and polish etc, worked just fine.

But there are a couple headlight-specific UV clearcoat products that are on the market. I have no experience with any of them, but intend to give one a shot next time I need to do a restore. Meguiar's G17804 comes to mind. Alternately, I've read good things on detailing forums about SprayMax 2K 3680061, although I would be concerned if that's similar to what cdover already tried as noted in post #6.

·
Premium Member
19,200 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts