Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some suggestions on the brightest/best lights available for a '94 Viper. The fog lights are original and one is blown out, so I can either get a replacement bulb or change to something else if there is a better product. The stock headlight bulbs have been switched out with a blueish tint bulb, which I like the color, but don't really match the stock fog lights. White/blue bulbs all the way around is the way I'd prefer, but I would like to hear any suggestions. I'm willing to swap out everything if someone has a good suggestion.

·
Registered
19,175 Posts
I am talking about the fog light covers , I read on another forum about a Viper owner that put in 100W fogs and kept cracking the covers. I think 60W would work. Spray......

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
They have those "blueish" lights you can buy at pepboys and other elcheapo auto stores which will fit in the viper. I like the color temperature of those lights, and they come at a bit higher power level than the stock ones. I think the marketing name is "Cool blue".

Haven't put one in the viper yet, but i used them in the motorcycle.
Once a bulb goes out in the viper i'll change into one of those.

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Sylvania bulbs are the best. I forget the exact name of them though... I think its the "silverstar" line. Any HID replacements are now illegal, so I wouldn't go that route. I need to do this myself in my ACR, especially since I don't have the extra light from the fog lamps.

Look here for your '94...

http://www.sylvania.com/bin/carApp/carAp...mp;x=23&y=5

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
I didn't know that the HID replacements/imitators are illegal. When did that happen? How do the ricers get away with it ;)

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
DOT just passed a law recently, like within the last month or so. I'm pretty sure you don't see anyone buying aftermarket HIDs now.

·
Registered
171 Posts
There is plenty of places to get HID on the net despite the recent DOT ruling. One of the better ones is Autolamps. They are based in UK but sell German made kits. I have one and I love them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the info...I'm going to go with the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs, since they are locally available for both the headlights and fog lights. One blue in color (low-beam head) and one yellow (fog) just looks gay.

·
Registered
171 Posts
You won't be seeing much of that blue once it's in the car but I assure you there is very very little difference in color temp betweeen Sylverstar and Cool Blue. If you want awesome visibility, you have to go with HID but I understand $650+ is hard to swallow for headlight bulbs :(

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
It wasn't a new law with the DOT - I don't believe the DOT has any authority to "pass laws". Sellers of HID kits were always acting illegally, and they have always been illegal to retrofit to cars... it's just that too many ricers were doing it and the NHTSA and DOT got so many complaints that back in October or so they sent a letter to the major manufacturers basically stating they were cracking down and for those guys to provide evidence they were not breaking the law - which they couldn't. So about 90% of the people selling these kits just closed up shop.

·
Registered
11,954 Posts
Sylvania's all around in my RT/10....about $25, work good, look great!! So sayeth the heathen....now, "I see the light!!"

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
RT/10-Retired said:
Sylvania's all around in my RT/10....about $25, work good, look great!! So sayeth the heathen....now, "I see the light!!"

Which Sylvania bulbs did you end up going with?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
[quote='96 Viper GTS]I have a set from Xenon, have not put them in yet. Kevin said you have to drill hole in head light case, so held off so far. Cost about 500 dollars though so probably will still put them in. [/quote]

Why would you have to drill a hole in the headlight case? Is it for cooling purposes due the the bulbs running hotter? (To avoid cracking the case? or ?) /images/graemlins/confused

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
I have not even had time to look into it to be honest with all the other shit going on with my car. I will try to get them on or in over the holidays and let everyone know. By the way I got 3 of my wheels in, 1 had to be re-done did not pass qc. The are sweet as hell. Can't wait to post pics.

·
RIP - Gone But Not Forgotten
18,149 Posts
THOR said:
[quote='96 Viper GTS]I have a set from Xenon, have not put them in yet. Kevin said you have to drill hole in head light case, so held off so far. Cost about 500 dollars though so probably will still put them in.
Why would you have to drill a hole in the headlight case? Is it for cooling purposes due the the bulbs running hotter? (To avoid cracking the case? or ?) /images/graemlins/confused [/quote]

IIRC it is for a ground wire? :bonk: But I may be wrong.

There was a post on this at the m.org. I hate to tell you to go over there but that is where the answer is.

Unless someone here can answer that question.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
[quote='96 Viper GTS]I have not even had time to look into it to be honest with all the other shit going on with my car. I will try to get them on or in over the holidays and let everyone know. By the way I got 3 of my wheels in, 1 had to be re-done did not pass qc. The are sweet as hell. Can't wait to post pics. [/quote]

Cool!!! :thumb: I look forward to seeing pics of your car with the new wheels! /images/graemlins/smiles

1 - 20 of 22 Posts