3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what should come first and why? I'm ready to "mod" again

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Snake Bitten said:
Both please...Do you need my shipping addy?
heheehehe

I wish I could afford that

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I recently came across the same dilemma. I chose to do headers first. Figured, why have better flowing heads if your still going to use the same restricted exhaust.

I also came across a better opportunity for headers.

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
if u can only afford one do headers first, more initial satisfaction due to both a sound improvement and performance upgrade. when u do heads do cam

only one man for viper heads; Greg Good :thumb:

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
always headers my man. the stock viper TTs or not is lacking in sound. make sure its bark is as bad as its bite. always look and sound as good as you run :D

·
Supporting Vendor
4,047 Posts
Here is the list of progression for most NA Gen 2 Vipers in terms of what should be done and when:

Bolt-ons round 1:
Cold air, catback, high flow cats
depending on the year, this will get you from a stock 410 rw hp to maybe 430 rw hp.

Bolt-ons round 2:
Headers, 1.7 rockerarms, throttle bodies
at this point you should be in the 450-460 rw hp range.

once you have these basic items then you can go to:

Heads, cam, lifters
depending on cam grind and heads you should then jump up to over 530 rw hp and in some cases more.

after that its on to a stroker motor.

custom intake manifolds are a waste of time so dont even ask about that one.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I won't disagree with the experts [especially those that can kick my ass] but I will say that headers on 98+ cars are pretty good. And on 2000+ cars, headers do yield that much of a power improvement.

JD

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I might be wrong, but here is what I saw this past Sat. and it could be because it was on gen 3s, but none the less. A gen 3 with just headers gained 2 rwhp and lost about 15+ (maybe even 20+) rwtq. :down: I don't know which type of header it was but all I gotta say is even if the headers were free, I would not take um. It might be different for gen 2. Just thought I would bring that up.

But, if you decide to go with heads...I would go to NO ONE ELSE but GREG GOOD. :bowdown: I have pictures of some heads he did for my car that getting put in. I will psot the picts tomorrow. For the quality of work he does, I would not go any where else. I will have my car dynoed next week sometime and post the dyno sheet as well.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
maybe I should get head then...I like the sound of that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
In my opinion, most performance gains achieved with headers are lost when a full exhaust system is installed behind them. For example, when I use to drag race my 70 Cuda', full exhaust (no cats) I would run 12.4 or 12.5. But with open headers she would drop down to 12.2 -12.3 range. The exhaust on this car was large high flow mufflers(3 inch ins and outs) not cheap glass packs. I have seen this played out many times on the strip with other cars. The Viper while very special car, is just another car with a push rod engine, but with 10 cylinders. Also, the Viper's large displacement motor (488 plus cubes) and V-10 configuration with low compression does not achieve high RPMs. From my experience, headers tend to benefit high RPM motors. That is not to say no performance is gained, but for the high dollar investment for Viper headers, I believe money is better spent on heads. All production cars can benefit from increased breathing on both the intake and exhaust side of factory heads. Most racing machine shops can improve the overall efficacy of air flow though your Viper's motor. I have searched many web sites that are considered Viper tuners and the too charge big time money for work on your heads. I am currently getting my head redone this winter by a shop that does all motors from grocery getter to Joe Amato's top fuel heads. The amount of quality work that this shop has done for the small amount of money they have charged is amazing. There are deals out there if you look, and don't get caught up in the hype of "Tuners" and magic bullets. Remember the Viper is the best performance car ever built, period. But it posses no magic, it is just a well designed product of Chrysler engineers. But like everything else in life there is room for improvement.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I did h/c first and then put headers and catback on with hi flo cats and gained 18 rwhp and 1 rwtq. Sure sounded a hell of alot better. The "ideal progression" would be to get the headers, but if you want power go with the heads.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
damn h/c only gained 18 rwhp?????????

How the heck are you making over 500 on the dyno jdawg? dayumm

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.