Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing....I'd do a head/cam or bearing replacement...but if it came to somthing complex such as twin turbos and tuning, I'll leave it to the pro's.

·
Schadenfreude Connoisseur
13,280 Posts
Although a viper engine is not that big of a deal, a standard pushrod engine...I still woundlt do it myself. Ive rebult my share of engines, but this thing is just too high dollar. Too many details that can be missed just to save a 2-3K in labor. Id rather have the job spec'd out by a tuner who knows EXACTLY what is the best for my setup, have a machine shop do the work who KNOWS Viper V10 short blocks and cylinder heads, and have the tuner do the assembly. Its just money well spent.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Along the same vein of what Smokin says, it actually doesn't cost that much just to send the whole thing back to Arrow as long as you're not doing anything super extreme. A local guy just did that on his 97 GTS. They did roller rockers and a few other things, and it came back very strong.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
what happend to your motor carrot?? details. thankyou.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've done a few myself and this car/motor couldn't be easier to work on. Get yourself a good manual with torque specs and you are good to go. I've built my share of motors and the fact that these cars are so open and most don't ever see rain (no rusty bolts) makes it a dream to work on.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Marc, Big Carrot, McGuireV10, Smokin, and RollModel-- Thanks.

Right now, I'm simply building a NA motor. As far as building the engine, it sounds like something I can tackle myself. I know the Viper engine has a couple of specialty tools reqiured for assemble. No biggie.

As far as a S/C or TT setup... Sometime in the future I will probably add a power adder. When I do, I definitely will go to one of the Viper tuners for that kind of package.

I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts