Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the scoop. Just bought a new K&N sytem for my 04. I was removing the factory setup, and while things were apart I wanted to check the tightness of the new high pressure Power steering/fan hose. (If you recall I had one fail catastrophically at 130+ mph). LOTS of SMOKE and a small momentary fire to boot.

After the hose fittings checked out fine, I instinctively reached down to the balancer bolt and HOLY CRAP, its finger loose and out about 2 turns. My question today is, DO I need to take the tension off of the serpentine belt to find out if the balancer is either loose on the crank, or slid partially out from it normal position. I can't really get a clear view of the pulley to see if it is in alignment.

thanks in advance

·
Landscaping Professional
14,341 Posts
I would remove the tension load from the belt, if I were you. It's probably a two person job to do that and check the crank pulley for looseness. If it were my car, I'd pull the bolt, Loctite it and retorque.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2004 Dodge Viper with 13,000 miles on it and the harmonic balancer just broke apart during normal driving. I am going to have it repaired....hopefully the crank shaft is not trashed. This will be my last Chrysler product. Junk!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I have a 2004 Dodge Viper with 13,000 miles on it and the harmonic balancer just broke apart during normal driving. I am going to have it repaired....hopefully the crank shaft is not trashed. This will be my last Chrysler product. Junk!
good.. go back to driving your corvette.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Why is this posted in the gen1/gen2 section???:headscratch::dunno: If everything checks out,pour a whole bottle of red loctite on that bitch bolt,then introduce her to Ingersol Rand!:sancho::lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.