Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if DC (or any aftermarket co.) sells a hard top cover (for storage)? I know that they supply a cover with the storage rack (>$400) but is there a cover available by itself?

I'm about to take a fleece blanket and sew it into a cover, but I'd prefer a "real" one, typically the fashion forward black naugahide(sp) with some non-scratch quilted fabric within. Anyone???

·
Registered
161 Posts
You might try an auto top / upholstery shop ot a sailboat sail making shop.

You might be able to get flannel in a large roll from a fabric shop then have the upholstery shop take some heavy grade vinyl and make you up one with a flap and velcro closure.
HTH

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks VJ! I"m going to check into it after I make some precise measurements of the top.

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
City...Drop Chad @ SnakeHydes an email...He could probably make you a top knotch one for a reasonable cost...I am sure you've seen his interiors on the VCA forums...His email address is... [email protected]

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Figures YOU'D know someone /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Snake Bitten said:
City...Drop Chad @ SnakeHydes an email...He could probably make you a top knotch one for a reasonable cost...I am sure you've seen his interiors on the VCA forums...His email address is... [email protected]
He's measuring his top and giving me a price.

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
CitySnake said:
He's measuring his top and giving me a price.
Chad's da man...I wonder if I can get a "soft top" cover, then put a bar in the front and back, and use it as a "soft top"???

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OUCH!
Well da man wants $275...which is probably a reasonable price for the work involved, but it's a bit more than I want to spend. I mean, for me a blanket is ugly, but does the job. I'm not going to negotiate due to you're recommending him and the fact that a few dollars is not going to make it worthwhile (I also just don't think it's appropriate)...I'm just going to explain that it's beyond my means at the moment.

Thanks Gerald!

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
City...The new interior for my boat was $7K...yep...could have had a S/C...Hell, the upholstery on the bolsters were $1200 each, due to complexity...Yet another reason why I am selling that money pit...I'd rather spend it on my other money pit, the RT...

We're some cheap fuckers, yes?!? Well, not me...I'm just PO!

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
I made my cover myself. works great, looks ok (but few people are in my garage).

·
Registered
161 Posts
City,
Was Chad just making that cover out of plain old vinyl?
Was it flannel lined?
Might get the ole blanket out and go to a seamstress or tailor shop and get a price.
Let us know if you get anymore prices.
sailboat / sail making shop also as they would have the heavy sewing machines.

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Joe:
He was using vinyl and a non-scratch lining. He said the materials alone cost $200 and I have reason to disagree. He's going to make one for himself and see how it turns out. He said maybe he can cut some costs the second time around. I guess I was just looking for a cheap alternative...like $100. For me, like Par, it's just not worth more to have it sit in my garage.

Par, can you detail how you made yours?

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
SO i went to home depot and i got these U hooks which had the U part lined with soft styrofoam.
I also got two hooks and a bungee cord.

I mounted the U hooks on my wall about 4 feet above ground (i'd say about a feet higher than my trunk lid on the viper). Each U was mounted 4 inches from each end of the hard top. I put the two hooks mounted slightly over halfway above the mid point of the hard top.

After this i took an old blanket (queen size) and i had it sewn together like a sleeve in a squarish U shape. I put my hardtop inside of it (with the opening downwards), and then i put the hardtop up on the wall resting on the U shapes. I secured the hardtop against the wall with the bungee hooked up to the hooks mounted on the wall.

I've had it mounted this way for a couple of months now and it works great. Another bonus is that i can put the soft top on the U hangers underneath the hard top. The U hooks are mounted just about as wide apart so the handle for the soft top bag can go over the U hooks and the soft top hangs nicely below the hard top.

Total cost; about $25 and it works great!

·
You mean Shenanigans
4,979 Posts
Two questions Par:

1) got any pics? I'm a visual guy. Is this the setup Biff lists on his VMania website?

2) Have you noticed whether or not the "bag" has left any scratches or swirl marks on your top? I'm not sure if you can get the blanket equivalent of the Fieldcrest Charisma towels, but that would be ideal.

-Thanks

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
I got no scratches or swirl marks. I'll get some pics.

If i was really paranoid i'd just get a fleece blanket and stitch into an U shape.

-Par

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Snake Bitten said:
City...The new interior for my boat was $7K...yep...could have had a S/C...Hell, the upholstery on the bolsters were $1200 each, due to complexity...Yet another reason why I am selling that money pit...I'd rather spend it on my other money pit, the RT...

We're some cheap fuckers, yes?!? Well, not me...I'm just PO!
Got pics of the boat???

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm using those foam-padded "L" or "J" style hooks for Home Depot. Using 3 of them. They are rated for 50lb each. Put 3 additional underneath for the soft top. They work really great. It's out in the garage naked, so I was pondering a made up bag, but I think I will rob the "queens" blanket stash for a nice softy and get it sewn at a local seamstress shop and save myself some cashola :)

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Viperjoe said:
so I was pondering a made up bag, but I think I will rob the "queens" blanket stash for a nice softy and get it sewn at a local seamstress shop and save myself some cashola :)
Exactly...I think Stew Leonard's has some fleece blankets for $12.00. Sew it up and I can live with the "cheap" disgrace /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

1 - 18 of 18 Posts