Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

Half of the Engine Shuts Off

831 views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  RobV 
#1 ·
Got an intermittent problem, I first thought it was the passager's side aftermarket catalytic converter that clogged the exhaust but it was not. I suspect an electrical problem (coil pack or else) but could it be a fuel issue?

The right side the the V10 seems to work on 1 or 2 cylinders or even shuts off entirely. Under load, when I floor the gas pedal it starts to run again. Can't pinpoint anything related to heat or humidity, it's random.

Any idea to where to look first?

#2 · (Edited)
Any codes set? A cat would plug from running too rich, then begin to overheat. I would suspect the injectors are firing, but the ignition side is problematic. Any difference in the plug condition?

#6 ·
If you are convinced that there are cylinders not firing, you can pull plug wires one at a time to see if it makes the engine run worse or not. You can also check the spark on that wire while you have it off to see if the coil is in fact firing or not.

#8 ·
changed the upstream oxygen sensor, problem still there. Codes reappears after a little while, but no misfire reading.

I also noticed that my dashboard and radio lights are flickering, so maybe it's all related to an electrical problem. I don't know where to start looking though

#11 ·
Yeah I followed the local mechanic advice (who doesnt know anything about Viper) and since my ''Viper mechanic) is about 70 miles from where the car is at the moment, I'm hesitant to drive it there on 5 cylinders

edit: N/A and close to Montreal yes

#16 ·
12.46 volts
14.02 volts (stable)

also changed all the spark plugs (OEM Champion), wires are new

flickering in the dashboard lights is just a bad connection in the steering console, I don't think it could be related at all

I cleared all the codes again (PO137 PO152) and I'll see how it goes, but so far I noticed the car seems A1 on cold start but as soon as it get just a little warm the problem begins

#17 ·
it's very annoying, can't pinpoint where the problem could be. I'm not even sure it's the ignition, maybe it's the fuel system, or maybe it's the tune? some kind of corrupted SCT file if that is even possible? But it was running fine for several days...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.