Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Landscaping Professional
13,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was by Sampson Racing Engines earlier today and saw a 4-Weber downdraft carb setup on the desk. I asked if it was for a SB Ford, and Dillon said yes, '66 GT-40 motor in for a freshening. We went back and he showed me the legendary heads that Dan Gurney's shop made for the 5.0s back in the day. He said this is his favorite motor to build out of all his customers. He said the pistons were just a little tall on the last build and I could see that they were making light contact with the low side of the chambers from high-rev downshifting. He's going to install about 0.010" more head gasket thickness and see if that clears it up.

GT-40 bottom end.jpg Weslake chambers.jpg Weslake exh.jpg Weslake intake.jpg Weslake internals.jpg

Reactions: 8.0L>1.8T

·
Landscaping Professional
13,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's the Weber carb setup for the motor. It should be ready for the dyno sometime next week.

Reactions: 8.0L>1.8T

·
Landscaping Professional
13,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Motor is fully assembled now and will hit the dyno tomorrow - not to break-in, but just a leak/systems check before shipping. The head cooling external manifold is similar to what the NASCAR engines are running now, but this head development was 55 years ahead of NASCAR's current state of the art. After all, this was Ford vs. Ferrari.
Weslake assembled F.jpg Weslake water jacket.jpg Weslake wet sump.jpg Weslake assembled.jpg Weslake valve train.jpg

·
Landscaping Professional
13,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bump...

·
Registered
556 Posts

Just ended today...

·
Landscaping Professional
13,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Cool link to an FI/dry sump Indy/F-5000 model!

No sale though...

·
Landscaping Professional
13,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
7000 rpm screamer. Right about 2 HP per cubic inch!
GT-40 Headers.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts