Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to purchase a Viper, narrowing my candidates down to a few. All of you with the ACR cars - how do you like the ride, are they as comfotable as the standard GTS Coupe? Will the wife object on the occasion when she gets to ride in it? Can we take weeend trips in it? I like the ACR cars, but what am I giving up compared to the non-ACR cars?

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
You're not giving up anything, except a few $ cause gts's are cheaper (though not by much in the used market).

The ACR can be set to full soft and you wouldn't know the difference over a GTS, and especially not your wife. If you're doing track duty though, you'll want a spring change on the dynamic suspension ACRS (the later ones).

Weekend trips is a matter of storage space, and the GTS is pretty good. The RT-10 can pretty much just pack a briefcase.

It was an option to not have the radio/ac, but there were only around 9 or so acrs ever built without them, so you'll be hard pressed to find one lacking any of the creature comforts.

If you're not going to track the car, just get the GTS and put the money saved into some rims.

·
Registered
125 Posts
ACR's have adjustable shocks, soften those boys up. Thats what I do.. even got a few comments that my car is NOT as stiff as the older vipers. But when you WANT stiffness, crank them up. Best of both worlds !! Leave 'em soft for street use, stiffen them up for track use.

Jon

PS. At the slight price difference, you get a nice set of ACR rims (BBS mess rims), 5 point racing harness, and 10 more hp and tq due to smooth tubes. Plus the adjustable suspension. So work the dealer, and you'll get an ACR for about the same as the GTS, but with the ACR you will get a bunch of almost free goodies !! Shoot the ACR rims alone sell for TWICE what the standard rims do on ebay !!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys, I really apreciate you taking the time time to inform this newbie.
What about sound deadener, does the ACR have it or was it deleted?

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I'd definitely recommend the ACR. The ride difference is negligible. You get the cool rims, cool seat belts, better shocks, and rarity that should equate to more money over the years. You'll save a little by buying a GTS, but not enough to buy all the goodies that the ACR comes with. Plus, most people think the ACR's are super fast. lol

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Big Carrot, of the few times I have posted, you have once again provided me with the giudance I need.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought the ACR because if you look back on the true OLD muscle cars, the race versions always get more moeny than the regular version. Get what you like best. You will not be disappointed in the Viper, ACR or GTS.

Good Luck,
ROB

·
Registered
44 Posts
When I purchased my ACR the shocks were set all the way soft. I did not like the way the car handled at high speeds (unstable). After a couple weeks of adjusting the rebound and compression settings I now have a car that handles extremely well at high speeds even on very rough roads. The car just gobbles up the imperfections in the road. The koni shocks are amazing if they are adjusted correctly. The only thing bad about the Koni shocks is they are noisy. You can hear them rattle on bumpy roads. I believe the Koni shocks were only used on 99 ACR's and were changed out later. The shocks work so well that I don't mind the "rattle snake" sound /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

[image]http://users.adelphia.net/~jkrichards//IMG_0253.JPG[/image]

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
That's a fine looking car you have there /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

And yes, the konis rattle, but if it bothers you, put on a corsa and roll the windows down - problem solved! :thumb:

·
RIP - Gone But Not Forgotten
18,149 Posts
99GTSACR said:
When I purchased my ACR the shocks were set all the way soft. I did not like the way the car handled at high speeds (unstable). After a couple weeks of adjusting the rebound and compression settings I now have a car that handles extremely well at high speeds even on very rough roads. The car just gobbles up the imperfections in the road. The koni shocks are amazing if they are adjusted correctly. The only thing bad about the Koni shocks is they are noisy. You can hear them rattle on bumpy roads. I believe the Koni shocks were only used on 99 ACR's and were changed out later. The shocks work so well that I don't mind the "rattle snake" sound /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

[image]http://users.adelphia.net/~jkrichards//IMG_0253.JPG[/image]

That is the exact car I have been looking for, black 99 ACR with NO stripes. But I have given up hope of finding one.

I will just buy a cheap GenI and build up the bitch. If I did get an ACR like that I would be afraid to drive it. Can't be a poser now can I? Gerald has that covered already. /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey Jerome,
I see you have a 94 VR4.... I also have a 92 TT Stealth with alot of mods.

If you want this 99 ACR It is for sale at the right price. Your not to far from here in MD.

92 TT Stealth
[image]http://users.adelphia.net/~jkrichards//IMG_0278.JPG[/image]

[image]http://users.adelphia.net/~jkrichards//IMG_0273.JPG[/image]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts