Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search on this site for owners who raised their vipers instead of lowering them and came up with a blank. I'm tired of cringing every time I go over a speed bump or cross a steep drive. Even a inch extra would help, I'm going to be buying a new set of tires soon and was wondering if anyone has tried using higher profile tires on stock rims? I don't even know if anything is available tire-wise that would give me an inch more ground clearance. Tom

·
Premium Member
10,841 Posts
Buy bigger rims (19 inchers). :thumb:

·
Schadenfreude Connoisseur
13,280 Posts
when my viper was stock height I NEVER scraped the bottom. The trick is to LEARN how to drive a lower car. Take curbs and slopes at angles. Never approach anything head on. Learn how to do that and you can lower your car instead of raise it.

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
TomH said:
I did a search on this site for owners who raised their vipers instead of lowering them and came up with a blank. I'm tired of cringing every time I go over a speed bump or cross a steep drive. Even a inch extra would help, I'm going to be buying a new set of tires soon and was wondering if anyone has tried using higher profile tires on stock rims? I don't even know if anything is available tire-wise that would give me an inch more ground clearance. Tom

There is a 4x4 conversion that will give you six inches of suspension lift and 3 inches of body lift...email [email protected] for details..

·
Out to lunch
10,516 Posts
Smokin said:
when my viper was stock height I NEVER scraped the bottom. The trick is to LEARN how to drive a lower car. Take curbs and slopes at angles. Never approach anything head on. Learn how to do that and you can lower your car instead of raise it.
/images/graemlins/laughing.gif

But smoke you live in Houston! You are even considered elevation down in that flat city (j/k smoke)

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
Smokin said:
:slap:
You must live in the land of small driveways and speedbumps I guess. That or you are one of those people that just will not go to certain areas of town in fear of scraping the underside of your car. The guy was asking a legit question. There are driveways and speedbumps that you WILL scrape on if you attempt them even in a stock viper, no matter what your approach angle, direction of your tires, season of the year, phase of the moon etc etc etc.

I wish I had an answer on how to raise your car. You might talk to a spring manufacturer but I'm sure the viper springs are not going to be an easy task to match the compression rate to.. I really don't know.

·
Registered
494 Posts
As Austin mentioned, going to 19" rims and tires gains you about 1/2" from what I have heard.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh no no, not the ban. I was just wondering if anyone had tried tires with a higher profile than the stock ones or even if they are available.

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
I've never heard about something like that being available (or even desireable but i'm a bit of a poser).

·
Registered
416 Posts
How about one of those low rider air suspensions? You can even bounce and tilt at all different angles. That way you can raise and lower at will.

Seriously, why don't use just get one of those scrape guards that you stick on and make sure you go over anything raised at an angle.

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
Smokin said:
Take curbs and slopes at angles. Never approach anything head on. Learn how to do that and you can lower your car instead of raise it.
:lolcry: :lolcry: :lolcry:
Come up here Smoke and drive on "my" streets and "teach" me how not to scrape. Your program works fine at 3 MPH. What about 6 inch troughs and potholes at 70 MPH? :lolcry:

·
Schadenfreude Connoisseur
13,280 Posts
Houston roads are pretty bad compared to California, the only time I scrape in Houston is when I hit the deflector that Heffner installed on hte lower fascia for additional cooling...and that hangs about 1/2" lower than stock. Thats basically a disposable piece that can be replaced easily. To add to that being lower, my car is lowered with eibachs, but I do have 19" rims. Other than the black pastic deflector that the only damage to my fascia are some minor rock chips and maybe 1 or 2 incidents wiht curbs. I seriously think its mastering the technique of taking shit ant SEVERE angles. As far as hitting toughs at 70mph that would bottom a stock viper, that must be an east coast thing. Ive never done it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found some 275/55/17's which should give just over 3/4" more clearence, the 285/40/17 would give a half inch, either would be an improvement as long as they don't mess up the handling. I have heard of the 285/40/17's being used on vipers so I might give them a try.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,065 Posts
Go to shocks with adjustable spring perches and raise the ride height. Higher ride height will help weight transfer for drag racing. I run mine on the street with the perches cranked up 6-8 turns from the slammed stance at the track.

Alternatively, you can keep the ride height about the same and up the spring rates. This will cause less deflection over bumps and dips, but a rougher ride.

·
Registered
19,499 Posts
I'm here I'm here...

Agree - chromed startechs looks great - but I personally liked the stock graphite color they come as... Matches my car beautifully... I think the chromed ones are just a touch too much on a graphite car... Black cars - they'd look awesome... Or red...

I do remember at the time - they were having issues with those rims because the chrome would crack...

Besdies, I have the ACRs BBS' on it now... /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif

1 - 18 of 18 Posts