Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Sexist
44,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate stereo shops. This place has been around for as long as I've been in Tampa (25+ years) and they sell hi-end equipment so I figured I'd go to them. Every "professional installer" wore more jewelry than most the ho's I've tapped. (appologies to my friends that wear that crap). I built my own bracket and mounted the amp because I didn't want those bozos to drill any new holes. After the puke ground the gears in reverse I pulled the wheel off myself (so they could route wires to the battery). I stood there quietly watching so I could answer any questions like - where the battery is in the first place. Then the manager told me I couldn't stay in the shop for insurance reasons. Bullshit. My car is on a jack without a jackstand and no blocks and he thinks he knows something about the insurance policies. All they had to do was build a connector to go from the stock wires to the new amp. I stood in the window watching for three hours straight making them nervous as hell.

They won't get my business again. Assholes. If they didn't want me next to my car they should have had a babe giving hummers in the waiting room. Shitheads.

Next is the receiver. ugh.

·
You mean Shenanigans
4,979 Posts
There's got to be another Viper owner around that can help you out if you don't want to tackle that yourself. I've done a lot of vehicle wiring and stereo installs in my other cars and it is pretty straight forward especially if you have the service manuals.

·
Banned Since 2003
17,762 Posts
I cringe anytime I have anyone touch my cars.

Hummers while you wait uh?

Now that's customer service! :nod:

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
8,621 Posts
EXACTLY the reason why I didn't fool too much with my oe stereo. I just can't stand that "insurance can't stay here BULLSHIT"!!! I ask up front...if the answer is no....I'm gone.

Even when I'm standing there I just cringe to see some "punk ass professional installer's" size 12 Timberland boots flopping all over the seats. I'm amazed you got through it Chuck! /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Do the receiver yourself Chuck, peice of cake. I did mine a few months ago..

Gerald

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am with Gerald. It's not difficult... It tooks us full day to install aftermarket headunit, 2 amps, and front rear speakers.

·
Sexist
44,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gerald said:
Do the receiver yourself Chuck, peice of cake. I did mine a few months ago..

Gerald
Sure if all the connectors match up. Do they?

·
Sexist
44,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It goes bad. It got to the point I couldn't turn it up past 17 without it overheating and shuting down. No big deal but I put a lot of highway miles on my RT/10. I gotta rock past 17. The speakers don't last long either.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Chuck, no they won't match up. But modern day receivers will have a pc of tape on each wire on them spelling out what each wire is. For example, remote, LF speaker, RF Speaker, RR Speaker, LR Speaker, Sub output, Power, Antena, Ground.

Then your OEM radio will have the same wires with tabs on them, splice the connector that comes with the new receiver in there then plug radio into that. Bend the tabs on the universal face plate into mounting holes in your car and sliiiiide receiver in..... and voila.

If you need some help drive on up and we can do it together..

G

·
Registered
33,838 Posts
MHQC said:
Does the stock stereo really sound that bad? I think it is great. :nod:
I am with you. It sounds pretty good to me. The only complaint with the stock stereo is that the clock is not accurate. I don't suppose that there's any fixes for that, is there?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I ended up spending quite a bit of money on Viper stereo - granted nowhere near competition level and I can also attest that it will require lot of money/modificaiton to make stereo sound good in Viper. There is just too much engine/exhaust noise and placement of stock speakers sucks to make the car sound good. If you are really tight on cash, I would at minimum add another amp and a sub. That would make the stock stereo sound much better.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Uncle Jed said:
MHQC said:
Does the stock stereo really sound that bad? I think it is great. :nod:
I am with you. It sounds pretty good to me. The only complaint with the stock stereo is that the clock is not accurate. I don't suppose that there's any fixes for that, is there?
yeah, get a sticky LCD clock from K-mart. Better yet, from Dollar store. /images/graemlins/laughing.gif Seriously, you can prob pick up a replacement stereo for next to nothing. In fact, mine is for sale if you are interested.

·
Sexist
44,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I put one speaker in the door but I can't use the stock grill with it. I tried to modify it but it aint happening. No big deal. I'll do the rest this weekend. It already sounds a lot better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts