Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to Frank Hawley\'s drag racing school...

I've had just about enough of the NJ winter so I decided to head to Florida for a few days. While I'm there, I figured I could use a few passes. So I signed up at Frank Hawley's drag racing school. He supposedly runs an excellent program, has graduated champion drivers, and is the only school endorsed by NHRA. I'm hoping to get my NHRA comp license. I'm taking the Super Gas class driving 700 hp Firebirds. Funny that this car puts down 400 hp less than my Vette. :rofl:

Is there anything to do in Gainesville in the evenings? Anybody from the area?

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Re: Going to Frank Hawley\'s drag racing school...

Great school. I got my license there and learned a lot. Hell, I was running 10.3's before I went and 8.7's once I graduated! Oh yeah, and I sent my car to Heffners. :rofl:

Seriously, it was very beneficial. You will be pleasantly surprised at how the cars sixty foot but after the 330 mark, they really lay down compared to a car like yours. Have fun!

·
Registered
5,099 Posts

BW, you won't want to do much the two nights before classes as you have to be out there EARLY and they really get you sweating in the cars waiting to run.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Yeah, I wasn't gonna hit it hard. I did notice you have to be at the track by 7:30. I'm going in February so it shouldn't be that hot.

Anything you didn't like about the program? What do you think was most beneficial to you? How many runs did you get between the two days?

·
Registered
5,099 Posts

6 runs if you pass each stage. 330, 660 and 1000 ft on the first day. 3 full passes on the second. Doesn't sound like much but it was very beneficial. Lots of phsychology about racing along with tips and tricks. Safety is hammered pretty good which I appreciated. Frank is quite the drill instructor.

You should do great and will definitely benefit, as would anyone that wants to (or does) go fast.

·
RMPL
22,725 Posts

Took it at Pomona with his school. If you don't keep your foot in it to the exact mark to let off you will have to do another pass for $200 extra for each one that you miss. I had to do one extra to get licenced. If you don't stay centered on the track it is a failed run and has to be redone.
I did it in Supercomp, which is a second faster than door cars, same engine. The 60' was 1.2, which slammed my head into the cage first launch. They do really poop out after the 60'.
Join the NHRA ahead of time and they give you $100 off the course. I think it was $1,600. a year ago. Good course.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I'm alreay an NHRA member so I just shot them e-mail to get the discount. Thanks for the reminder!

What kind of e.t. and trap speeds are those Firebirds capable of?

Paul

P.S. They don't teach you parachute release, do they?

·
Vipers should be DRIVEN !
4,287 Posts

I am in charge of Central & North Florida motorsports for our VCA chapter. We are in the process of looking into getting Frank Hawley's drag racing school or Doug Foley's Drag Racing School to do a private school for our members were the club pays part and the members pay some too.

Doug Foley's Drag Racing School is in Bradenton right now as well a number of Pro Stockers doing a private track rental to do chassis tuning for the upcoming season of NRHA drag racing.

Doug Foley's Drag Racing School has rented the track all weekend to their school here Sat and Sunday.

Paul if they have the drag bike school at same time as your school ....say hello to one our Viper owners George Bryce..... he has an 9 sec all motor ACR Viper.

Cudaman:flag:

·
Registered
5,099 Posts

Paul said:
I'm alreay an NHRA member so I just shot them e-mail to get the discount. Thanks for the reminder!

What kind of e.t. and trap speeds are those Firebirds capable of?

Paul

P.S. They don't teach you parachute release, do they?

Mid nines at 140ish.

They said they would let me drop the laundry once after I pushed them but I never did as they didn't seem very excited. Also, it is completely worthless on a sub 150 mph car. If you aren't running 160+, it won't even pop.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Cuda, I was going to go to Doug's school originally because he holds classes at Atco which is an excellent track and it's only 1 1/2 hrs from my house. However, this shitty winter is killing me and a reprieve from the cold convinced me to go to Florida. I'm sure Doug runs a top notch program as well. He did well in IHRA this past season. I'll try to look up George while I'm there.

Chad, I just wanted to have some experience with the chute. I'll ask them and see how they feel about it. If they say "no" then it's "no." I have a chute on my Z06 but I never run with it because I only trap high 140s. Every track I've raced at had more than enough shut down to slow the car with brakes alone.

·
Vipers should be DRIVEN !
4,287 Posts

I have very good things about both schools although I have heard bad things about Roy Hills school just recently.

Have a good time in Gainesville, it is a party place.....maybe the last night you can raise a little hell.

Chad is very knowledgeable ...... but unfortunately he had poor taste in colleges.:lolcry:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Cudaman said:
Chad is very knowledgeable ...... but unfortunately he had poor taste in colleges.:lolcry:

Really? And I always thought Betty Owens School of Executive Amdinistration was a fine intitution. Where else can you leatn to type 120 wpm? :lolcry:

·
Registered
5,099 Posts

(hunting and pecking like a caveman) Nope bitches, went to THE football powerhouse and party school of the nineties. Florida State, Florida State, Florida State, WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! :nod:

·
Registered
2,368 Posts

My wife went to FSU. Her brother went to UFL. Their parents have a license plate in FL that reads: UF FSU . He is constantly conflicted... And his sweatshirts are not welcome in our home.

I went to Umass... I don't give a *#[email protected] :)

JD

·
Registered
1,943 Posts

THE CHAD said:
Great school. I got my license there and learned a lot. Hell, I was running 10.3's before I went and 8.7's once I graduated! Oh yeah, and I sent my car to Heffners. :rofl:

Seriously, it was very beneficial. You will be pleasantly surprised at how the cars sixty foot but after the 330 mark, they really lay down compared to a car like yours. Have fun!
Chad what is the cost of this school? And how many days is it? Sounds like fun.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts

I want to say it was just under 2k and worth every penny. It only has to keep you off the wall one time (or worse) to pay for itself. :wink:

·
Registered
1,943 Posts

THE CHAD said:
I want to say it was just under 2k and worth every penny. It only has to keep you off the wall one time (or worse) to pay for itself. :wink:

Cool! Thanks. Do they have a website? Where do you get their information?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.