Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with the 7.3 Godzilla Ford engine? Even though I have the Raptor I really could use a truck with a 8' bed, and have been ciphering on a F250 with the Tremor Pkg and going with the Godzilla 7.3 engine. Kinda cool it is an old school engine built with lots of proven parts like piston cooling, forged crank, 6 bolt mains, etc.

Seen online people just adding a SC and getting well over 1000hp on pump gas.

·
Registered
12,027 Posts
Yup, buddy has a new Tremor F250 with it. Awesome engine, far better than HD Rams or GM gasser, makes them feel like lethargic slugs. And it's not as bad on gas as you'd think. Also the 1st time, all these years and his biz with the fleet trucks, that he went gasser over Powerstroke. Powerstroke just makes no sense, it's stupid expensive option now, he only tows up to 15k lbs and the 7.3 and 10 speed gearing has no issue with that. Diesel fuel cost what premium does now basically and Diesel maintence is way more expensive, given with the PS option cost you'd have to drive like 400k+ miles to break even and that's not even including extra maintence etc on diesel. 10+ years ago diesel was basically at or cheaper than 87 especially here in FL, at prices now mehhh

He fucking loves that truck. And the engine sounds awesome. He's already tuned, but the shop that tuned my '19 5.0 locally. Let me tell ya, that "gas" F250 straight boogies lol. These blocks have massive potential for modding.

Plus with the Tremor pack imo it drives and rides nicer than regular 3/4 ton. And looks bad ass.

Here’s our local shops 7.3 shop truck lol

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it makes no sense to get a diesel anymore just for the reliability factor. Saw a Youtube video from a diesel mechanic that explained that it is expensive as fuck to buy a diesel, and they will not last like they used to because there is no lubricity in the fuel. Injectors only lasting over 100K miles because they are cycled so much more for emissions and the fact that they are costing almost $1K a piece now. All kinds of problems and costs with diesels now.

·
Registered
12,027 Posts
Yeah it makes no sense to get a diesel anymore just for the reliability factor. Saw a Youtube video from a diesel mechanic that explained that it is expensive as fuck to buy a diesel, and they will not last like they used to because there is no lubricity in the fuel. Injectors only lasting over 100K miles because they are cycled so much more for emissions and the fact that they are costing almost $1K a piece now. All kinds of problems and costs with diesels now.
Only reason to get the Powerstroke is if your regularly towing over 15-20k+ lbs over long distance and how many people do you know that do that? Nobody I do b/c even the ones in heavy equipment biz have fleet work trucks for that, not their personal trucks. The 7.3 is far more than enough for 99.9999999% of owners, especially given what, maybe 1% even tow close to 10k lol. It's just nutz to pay like $15k for the diesel option, plus the heavier maintence cost and parts like you mentioned with expensive injectors which are a common issue with all 3 makes, and diesel fuel went from being cheaper/similar to 87 to similar more than 93 now. Just makes 0 sense other than if your one of those "muuuhhh diesel" guys lol

Now previously I'd say diesel b/c all 3 gasser HD trucks were mehhh. But the 7.3 is sweet and it absolutely bitch slaps the GM and Ram blocks, even the Ram 6.4 feels lethargic in comparison and is even worse on fuel. If it were me today, no doubt I do Tremor with 7.3 and whipple and custom tuned.

I love my '19 5.0 Platinum, thing is a blast modded and tuned. And sounds like sex. Even had it playing around in sport mode today and sent friends pic hahaha

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am on the fence about replacing the Raptor. I really like my truck...but what I did not know when I bought it is that it is not much on towing. I tow a 20' bass boat that probably weighs in about 5K. The truck tows it like it isn't even there with the 3.5 twin turbo HO motor but the issue is with the suspension for Raptors (from what I have read) that affects the truck to being able to tow like a regular truck. The Fox shocks seem to be what causes the towing issues and so far I have not found any kind of a possible fix.

The problem I have with the Raptor is on certain types of roads anything above 63mph the boat/trailer starts to fish tail. What is weird is that it is only on certain types of pavement (maybe Dean can chime in on this as to why this would happen)...but when it happens it ain't much fun cause then I have to slow down and it pisses off everyone that has to be behind me. On certain roads I can run 80mph with no problem with the boat behind the truck.

The Tremor option can only be had with the crew cab, 6' - 8" bed which makes for a long ass truck (20'). I looked at a Super Duty Supercab with a 8' bed today but that is a work truck as it is not a good looking truck at all. The big wheels/tires is what makes the Super Duties look good. Tried to price out a 1/2 ton Lariat with the Super cab 8' bed but Ford does not have very many options for this configuration, and even what options you could get with the 1/2 ton it was only $1K cheaper than the Super Duty and is just as long.

And the funny thing about all of this? I am starting to wonder if I am getting a little old to be wanting trucks like the 250 with the Tremor option :) . The Raptor stands out but it would be nothing like a 20' truck on 35" tires!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,027 Posts
I'm laughing you said that as today there was a Raptor towing a similar sized bay/flat boat next to me and it was damn near scraping, looked like one of those Carolina Lean trucks lol. But yeah that's an issue with Raptors, their useless even for light trailering, suspension is too soft. My buddy had same issue pulling a tiny utility trailer, squated like the trailer weighed 10k not 4k lbs lol

I love my buddies Tremor and that 7.3 is absolutely sweet. I'm used. To my supcrew F150 so F250 Crews aren't that much bigger, they are, but even here in city no big deal. Especially with Fords camera system, that 360 and aerial view so easy to park. I never use the auto park (the park itself) setting, too slow.

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just looked up a F150 Crew cab with the 6.5 bed...same length as the F250 crew cab with the 6'-8" bed....20' long for the both of them. I have a dual axle trailer for my boat and the truck barely squats at all when the boat is on the back. If it was having the problem all of the time then it would be a no brainer...but the different road surfaces seem to be an issue and everything I have read points back to the shocks as being the issue as I don't know what else could be the cause?

I have seen videos of vehicles being flipped over when the item they were towing got super bad. I wasn't a fan of the 5' bed on the raptor but I got used to that as there were no other options for that truck. Just have to decide between the F150 and the 250 as a Lariat for the both is only a $1K difference. The 250 has the Godzilla and everything I have read about that motor is that it is bullet proof...all old school with performance parts to last a long time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts