Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Enlightened
25,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't know they had a loaner car at the Speedway Friday, so missed out on being able to get on the track. But watching the event really inspired me to want to get out there. I know there are events like Viper Days, but what I'm not sure of is how do I get started and what do I need to be able to participate in track events? And are there any restrictions on the use of RT/10s in these events?

I checked the schedule and it looks like next year will be the earliest opportunity I will have; so anything I need to do to get ready, I'd be interested in trying.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I got my snake in Feb., went to an open track day at VIR in April, and returned for Viperdays in July. RT needs a hard top for Viperdays (or a roll bar). Buy a helmet and some gloves and jump in!

·
STALKED
4,470 Posts
Mike,
There may be a decent sized group of us going to VIR with Chin Motorsports in November/December. If we all go - that's a good time to go to your first event - there will be lots of folks there to help.

You will need your hardtop with an RT and other than that - good tires, fresh fluids and hi temp brake fluid will get you where you need to be for your first event.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Slow Eddie said:
I would also consider a 5 point harness. Its safer than the regular ole seat belt and it keeps you from sliding around your seat during a 100 mph sweeper.
Eddie
:stupid: :stupid:
s'matter of fact, after a few Viperdays, they do require you get five or six-point harnesses. As speeds increase with your experience, you might want to invest in some other safety equipment, as well, like the HANS (sp?) device that protects your upper spine and neck. Hitting a wall at 140 might not be fun.

·
Enlightened
25,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info - definately want to keep an eye out for events I can attend. I have the hardtop and will check into a helmet. I didn't like the 5-point harness I checked out a while back; but once I get a couple events under my belt (pun), I'll definately check into the upgrade.

I can see where the Coupe would have been a much better choice for the track - hmmmmmm, two Vipers in my future? Who knows.

·
Registered
100 Posts
try

racingschools.com

I do high speed events with the local PCA and BMW groups, they are open to all types of cars. Don't know where you live, but some good tracks I have been to are Pocono (PA), Mid OH (OH), Road America (WI) and Gingerman (MI)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I'm going to my first track event in 2 weeks with the 350Z and Mazda Speed clubs. I'll be the only viper and I'm vervous as heck. Bill Pembertons kid will be there with a suped up miata I think and I hear he can drive. I'm told I need a fire proof helmet and a fire extinguisher. I'm a little nervous about bolting a damn extinguisher inside my car. The track is in Glenwood IA just outside Omaha and I think it's called MidAmerica Motorplex. I'm sure I'll pass them by the droves in the straights, but I'm gonna get killed in the twisties.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Custom Builder said:
I'm going to my first track event in 2 weeks with the 350Z and Mazda Speed clubs. I'll be the only viper and I'm vervous as heck. Bill Pembertons kid will be there with a suped up miata I think and I hear he can drive. I'm told I need a fire proof helmet and a fire extinguisher. I'm a little nervous about bolting a damn extinguisher inside my car. The track is in Glenwood IA just outside Omaha and I think it's called MidAmerica Motorplex. I'm sure I'll pass them by the droves in the straights, but I'm gonna get killed in the twisties.
hey you NEVER do know, I drive a Z06 and there's a red viper that whoops my ass every time at Mid OH! /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

seat time :thumb:

·
STALKED
4,470 Posts
Stock tires are FINE - as are stock brakes - even pads. The whole idea of a first timer is car control. Street tires are more forgiving - both to the car and the driver. The stock pads are adequate and will withstand a decent amount of heat. (Hell, we have a club member who's running mid 2:10s at VIR on street tires and STOCK pads.)

Your Viper is an amazingly competent track car in stock form. Just do a couple of safety mods and fluids upgrades and you are all set. It is NOT about throwing money at the car until you can get 95% out of a stock car. If Viper Days has been to your track, until you are nearing the times of either the Super Stock or Prepared cars (depends on who's in each class) then spending money upgrading the car is just bravado. The best mod is instruction and seat time.

PS - Ryan Pemberton is lightning fast - and he'll be a good instructor - or get Pemberton if you can. You want someone with experience in a high HP, high TQ RWD car if possible as your instructor.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Thanks for the info JT. I won't feel so bad when Ryan beats me with 1/2 the hp. Yes, they have had Viper events I believe because Bob Woodhouse and a few of the other guys around here with Comp Coupes have raced there. I just recently had the Brake, diff, and tranny fluid changed in anticipation of track day.

·
STALKED
4,470 Posts
I don't think that's a ViperDays picture. VOIs seem to always let you go topless. Hell they let the SRT-10's out there, right?

No real HPDE will let you run without a top and no SRTs without roll bars. Even though the RT's sport bar is VERY sturdy, the roof helps keep your limbs in side the car and helps some with rigidity.

·
Enlightened
25,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Right, thats from Friday's VOI track event. Okay, so VOI is a little more forgiving. Makes sense about SRTs - more than a few were running with their tops down on the track, too.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.