Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone put a set of Gen III brake calipers on a Gen II?? I saw that a set of front and rear Gen III brake calipers (all 4) would cost under a grand. Add in a set of Gen III rotors and I would imagine this would be a good set-up.

I know you need (and I have) 19" wheels. I would also assume some different or custom brackets would be required.

Seems like even with some custom brackets this would be a good set-up for under $2000.

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
I've seen it done - the full gen3 brake setup on a gen2 bumblebee. It fit on the stock 18" bbs acr rims. I'm pretty sure it was just a matter of fabricating some brackets. I know the car and the owner, just not the specifics on what was involved.

Call Ted May at Valaya Racing, I bet he knows how it was done. 408.448.8811

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
REDSLED said:
I will be completing that mod on my newly acquired GT-1 Viper. so I will be able to give the track side point of view /images/graemlins/smiles
Tell me how it compares with the stoptech 4 wheel kit. I haven't compared the piston bores between the two, but your sophisticated measuring device (ie your ass) should give me a good idea.

·
Registered
607 Posts
i would like to do this mod as well to my 2001 acr. i here that you have to get the 2003 and newer master cylinder as well because it is bigger. does anybody know if this is true or not? also i assume this change would be campatible with my 2001 abs.

·
Whatever
801 Posts
vipernathan said:
Jon - What did you get? Details?

What did you do with your blue and white GTS?
I bought a GT-1 Viper that weighs in at a lean 2794 lbs. I still have the GTS and it is as fast as ever. It is fully sorted now with complete Stop Techs and EMI Suspension. The car is 100% street legal and comes with a an extended warranty until 2007 or 45K miles. The current odeometer is 15K. The car will have to go for sale soon. Come on Nathan, find me the right buyer /images/graemlins/smiles

·
Whatever
801 Posts
_Mark said:
REDSLED said:
I will be completing that mod on my newly acquired GT-1 Viper. so I will be able to give the track side point of view /images/graemlins/smiles
Tell me how it compares with the stoptech 4 wheel kit. I haven't compared the piston bores between the two, but your sophisticated measuring device (ie your ass) should give me a good idea.
You're absolutely right! That's the only measuring stick that should count! I've driven the Comp Coupe and the brakes are almost too good so it will be good to see how they behave on a GTS. I'll make sure to give you dibs on the Stop Techs when I change them out. /images/graemlins/smiles It was good meeting you at Viper Days this past March.

BTW-When am I going to see your car at the track again? 2 more months off the track and your car reverts back to "garage queen" status /images/graemlins/smiles

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
REDSLED said:
_Mark said:
REDSLED said:
You're absolutely right! That's the only measuring stick that should count! I've driven the Comp Coupe and the brakes are almost too good so it will be good to see how they behave on a GTS. I'll make sure to give you dibs on the Stop Techs when I change them out. /images/graemlins/smiles It was good meeting you at Viper Days this past March.

BTW-When am I going to see your car at the track again? 2 more months off the track and your car reverts back to "garage queen" status /images/graemlins/smiles
I know, I know. I just got married and was out for 3 wks so I'm in the hole with negative vacation time now at work. I'm thinking about meeting you guys down at buttonwillow one of these weeks though. The drive down is so scenic, its hard to resist /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

Let me know about the stoptechs. Course, if you find the gen3s are better, that might be a cheaper way to go /images/graemlins/laughing.gif

·
Premium Member
5,310 Posts
Anthony - 98 GTS said:
So is Ted the one making the new brackets??
I don't know that Ted has done it yet. The guy I know who had it done was a one-off job and the tech at his dealer actually did it. I'm pretty sure Ted had a look at it though and I know he was talking about doing it himself.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
_Mark said:
Anthony - 98 GTS said:
So is Ted the one making the new brackets??
I don't know that Ted has done it yet. The guy I know who had it done was a one-off job and the tech at his dealer actually did it. I'm pretty sure Ted had a look at it though and I know he was talking about doing it himself.
Mark - have you installed the brackets yet?? I would like to see them.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I talked to Anthony about this a little while ago. If I can get a hold of the bracket that is already made, I can get it duplicated. Or, if I can get a hold of a set of brakes and use Anthony's car as a templete, I can get the brackets made.

Since I am Viperless at the moment, let me know if you guys are interested in doing something like this.

Chip

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Ego Racer said:
I talked to Anthony about this a little while ago. If I can get a hold of the bracket that is already made, I can get it duplicated. Or, if I can get a hold of a set of brakes and use Anthony's car as a templete, I can get the brackets made.

Since I am Viperless at the moment, let me know if you guys are interested in doing something like this.

Chip
Your second idea sounds better than the first. Your first idea is pretty shady, although you probably don't see it that way.

Eddie

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
You are right. I am not wanting to copy it, but to see if I can do it with a flat piece of metal. If there are bends or welds, the risk (or liability) is higher and I am not sure if it would be worth it to do.

·
STALKED
4,483 Posts
It's not that simple as swapping out calipers - the entire brake system needs to be rebuilt and rebalanced. You could be talking about a new master cylinder, new reservoir, new proportioning valve. You DON'T just swap calipers and think you are going to get better performance. Throwing a big rear caliper on your car is a great way to get rear lockup.

And don't look at race cars as an example, they have ALL sorts of different set-ups that someone has taken the time to test and finesse - and often have proportioning valves, etc.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cheap - cheap - cheap, but work well for the price. I have a couple of 40mm rear calipers (converted from OEM 36mm) ready for non-ABS cars. Let me know if you're interested. I can send you a little blurb sheet about what they are, or a 1MB file on exactly how to rebuild them.

If you haven't heard of them, search the "other" site or let me know and I'll send you a few links to the discussions. The 38mm size out back provides the same balance as the StopTech front caliper kit; the 40mm rears provide nearly ideal front-rear balance (road race/130MPH/sticky tire stops.)

Everybody likes this method: I send you the 40mm calipers, you swap them, make sure everything works and you have all the little springs and pins, then send me your old ones and $600. Sorry, I can't find used ones fast enough, so I need to get your old ones to use as cores.

One customer wanted them powder coated and I've found a place that'll do it for $80. I have one pair there now and can let you know how it turns out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.