Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. How much HP (on average) will a GEN I gain stock with no cats.

2. How much HP (on average) will a GEN I gain no cats, smooth filters, and K&Ns

3. How much HP (on average) will a GEN I gain no cats, smooth filters, K&Ns, and VECII.

4. How much HP (on average) will a GEN I gain no cats, smooth filters, K&Ns, VECII, with headers.

I know lots of questions just trying to figure this cost to HP gain. Please answer any question you can.
Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
863 Posts
There is a huge variation on the Gen1's. They respond better then the Gen2's to any type of exhaust mod. The VEC~2 is not going to give you a bunch more peak hp, however, it is going to give you a bunch of midrange power. If you have a good car with exhausts, headers and Vec2 you might go 420 with a whole bunch more power under the curve. You could be close to 475 ft-lbs.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
My '96 RT/10 with:

Smooth Tubes
S$B Filters
Stock Cats
Muffler Delete

Made 400rwhp 463rwtq

Since that dyno-run I replace the stock cats with Sean Roe's Oval Cats. It will be interesting to see if there is an improvement by using those Roe Cats.

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
all cars should do the basic K&N and tubes. exhaust mods are much more gainful on a gen I. redo everything from headers back. i would go hiflo cats and not eliminate them completely. as for the the vec (1 or 2) you will probably not see much with regard to peak numbers but thats not important anyway. i would do T&Ds. about same cost aas vec2 and probably more beneficial with what your suggesting.

i would thinkg 420rwhp is kinda high, i would think 390-400 is more realistic for a genI with the mentioned upgrades. torque will be the big factor though and i agree that 450-475 is definite and thats what you want anyway, its what wins the race. plus your midrange power will be real nice, great street machine

·
Premium Member
19,646 Posts
My old 96 had tubes&filters, Borla headers, TNT cat back, and 3.73 gears. Laid down 394RWHP and 462RWTQ. My best time with Kumhos was 11.8 at 118 :thumb:

I've got headers in the classifieds for $1400 shipped and they are Jet hot coated! :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
96 RT.... smooth tubes, no cats, 3" Corsa cat-back.... 407 HP 470 Torque at the rear wheels

Next up... Stage III heads, 1:7 Roller Rockers, headers...... not sure what that will net in RWHP and RWTQ.. but anxious to find out.

·
Banned
2,675 Posts
This is a honest question because I don't know crap about GenI's. For exsample Thin Man's 96 RT dyno'd at 407hp 470ft-lbs and his car has smooth turbs no cats and Corsa. My 01 ACR with NO mods dyno'd at 401 and 452? Why is that.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Tanked said:
This is a honest question because I don't know crap about GenI's. For exsample Thin Man's 96 RT dyno'd at 407hp 470ft-lbs and his car has smooth turbs no cats and Corsa. My 01 ACR with NO mods dyno'd at 401 and 452? Why is that.
Because he injected foam into his frame to strengthen it. Yours must have twisted on the dyno too much.

Moron. Your car is a creampuff.

·
Registered
161 Posts
gen Is are cammed for torque. Gen Is typically make as much or more torque than the early gen IIs. Your creampuff, craig201mph, can make decent hp, but torque is usually weaker than the other cars. I've seen arrow rebuilds that fix this to some extent (degreed cam, increased compression).
my gen I has bellangers, 3" highflows and race muffs and makes 399hp/374torque.
It is an average genI. I've seen some do 10hp better, others do 10hp worse.

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
craig201

MFAO, that post was fuckin hilarious. i dont care who you are that shit was funny

·
Registered
251 Posts
I would definitely take the cats out and just use a Borla muffler. I have read a post on the .org site that someone dynoed a Gen I with multiple set ups and the one that made the most power was no cats and borla mufflers. I picked up 15 rwhp getting rid of the cats when my motor was stock.

My 95 with tubes / filters and Borla cat back made 376 RWHP and 449 RWTQ. Now with a fresh motor, Heads, Crower Stage I Cam, no cats and Edelbrock Long Headers the car just dynoed 469 RWHP and 550 RWTQ all motor.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
ACELLR8 said:
I would definitely take the cats out and just use a Borla muffler. I have read a post on the .org site that someone dynoed a Gen I with multiple set ups and the one that made the most power was no cats and borla mufflers. I picked up 15 rwhp getting rid of the cats when my motor was stock.

My 95 with tubes / filters and Borla cat back made 376 RWHP and 449 RWTQ. Now with a fresh motor, Heads, Crower Stage I Cam, no cats and Edelbrock Long Headers the car just dynoed 469 RWHP and 550 RWTQ all motor.
Where did you get the Cam..... I am trying to decide what Cam to use?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Okie guys...here is my :twocents: Should you guys ever decide to do head work you need to call only one person...Greg Good. He is the man for heads, he is working on my heads now and all I have to say is call him. I know Aceelr8 got less than 100hp with heads, cam, headers and a fresh motor. I have heard that Greg's heads can make 100hp themselves. Once my car gets done, I will post my numbers. I have a Roe Blower with headers, corsas, HF cats, rockers, and how GREG GOOD HEADS and a cam. I am hoping I will get to high 600 numbers, but I will not be surprise at all due to his great work that I might be able to hit the 700s...I have my fingers crossed.

Now all I need is to learn how to drive my car like Chad... :thumb1:

·
Registered
251 Posts
KingViper said:
Okie guys...here is my :twocents: Should you guys ever decide to do head work you need to call only one person...Greg Good. He is the man for heads, he is working on my heads now and all I have to say is call him. I know Aceelr8 got less than 100hp with heads, cam, headers and a fresh motor. I have heard that Greg's heads can make 100hp themselves. Once my car gets done, I will post my numbers. I have a Roe Blower with headers, corsas, HF cats, rockers, and how GREG GOOD HEADS and a cam. I am hoping I will get to high 600 numbers, but I will not be surprise at all due to his great work that I might be able to hit the 700s...I have my fingers crossed.

Now all I need is to learn how to drive my car like Chad... :thumb1:
I agree with Gregs Head work and have heard nothing but good things about his heads. Now when you say his heads are making a 100 HP are you talking RWHP or crank HP? If I would have known about him before I had my heads sent out I would have used him. After all was said and done my car picked up 95 RWHP with the mods done. I feel good about the job Scott did on my heads especially for the money spent! Probably would have gotten a little more If I would have done the 1.7 ratio roller rockers, that will be a winter project this year.

Ed

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
dansauto said:
yes, 100Hp just from heads sounds a little optiomistic. Maybe 100 Hp crank with rollers, springs and longer rods.
The person I saw that got 100HP+ from Greg's heads already had a blower, etc. and was making big horsepower. I believe it was Joseph Dell.

My 94 w/ smooth tubes, K&N, and free flow mufflers made 373HP/429TQ

I then added Valaya headers, free flow cats, 3.54 gear, and T&D's and got 417/452

Next up is heads and cam........

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.