Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if rear calipers can be used from say Gen4 or 5. Would like larger calipers if possible.
Would like to get front and rears stripped and powder coated Yellow.
Do not like the appearance of small calipers and hoping large ones will help with braking.

Ray

·
Registered
542 Posts

Yes, and you will need the above. If you change the rears you need to change the fronts too or install a proportioning valve. You don't want the rear braking more than the front.

Also keep in mind your wheels have to be big enough. Not sure what year car or what wheels you have but they obviously need to clear the new set-up. Believe the factory 18's fit fine with this kit but confirm that with IPSCO.

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
other options are use same calipers but 40mm so you do not need to cut the bunny ears off (known as Tom's 40mm) or you can use CTS-V or Camaro SS/ZL1 rears like the SRT/Stoptech systems.

Search on here and other forums and facebook.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for the late response.
My car is a 98 GTS
Wheels are 19" front and 20" back. I have Penske 8700 series adjustable shocks so ride height not a problem.
So is the best way to go is get calipers same year as fronts?
Will I still need adapter kit to mount them?
Ray

·
Registered
21 Posts
other options are use same calipers but 40mm so you do not need to cut the bunny ears off (known as Tom's 40mm) or you can use CTS-V or Camaro SS/ZL1 rears like the SRT/Stoptech systems.

Search on here and other forums and facebook.
We'll if this the best route for the incoming GTS project. We'll just finish installing the suspension and dick cepek tires on the truck this week before we can take a closer look at it.

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Sorry for the late response.
My car is a 98 GTS
Wheels are 19" front and 20" back. I have Penske 8700 series adjustable shocks so ride height not a problem.
So is the best way to go is get calipers same year as fronts?
Will I still need adapter kit to mount them?
Ray
No not the same as fronts. You cannot do that as the braking dynastics will be off and you will spin the ass end around.

Options are
  1. Tom's 40mm caliper (same single piston as stock but bored to 40mm with larger piston added)
  2. SRT brakes from Gen III-IV on front, move stock Gen II fronts to rear.
  3. Keep GenII stocks on front, CTS-V or Camaro SS/ZL1 rears (no proportioning valve need as per what I read)
  4. Aftermarket big brake kit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great info and thanks to everyone. Seems straight forward enough.
Thanks
Ray

1 - 8 of 8 Posts