Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Just a quick update on this age-old thread:

-Gen-2 & 3 ARP clutch bolts are now readily available.

A note on threadlockers:

I have been trying a few different types over the last few years, and I have found the source of some confusion:

Loctite 242 and 271, the most common "blue" and "red", are not oil tolerant lockers. As a result, whenever we have disassembled someones car, we have always noted that Red 271 was a closer comparison to OEM locking strength "blue".

However, as we have always used 2440 {now 246} or 2760 {now 266} in our builds, all of which are oil tolerant, the stengths make more sense.

The factory lockers are oil tolerant, and likely assembled completely oil-free. Hence, when serviced with non-oil-tolerant lockers, the Red is acting like Blue, and the Blue is acting like a Purple locker. If you go back to oil tolerant products like we did back in 2005, all is as it should be.

In summary:

For Crank Bolts: Use a Blue Oil Tolerant Locker like 266 or 2440, a Red non-tolerant locker like 271, or at a minimum, clean oil off of the bolt and threads VERY well before using 242.

For Clutch Bolts, its not as critical. Any blue or Red will work, but if handy, high-temp would be best suited to the job such as Red 272 and Blue 266.

·
Registered
31,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Great post Dan. I always clean threads that will be using a thread locker extremely well with carb cleaner and try to point that out in any DIY threads I have written. Nothing wrong with idiot proofing it though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know this is an old thread. Does anyone have part numbers for the Flywheel bolts or Clutch bolts? I would like to get all new bolts for my 96
Thanks

·
Premium Member
19,240 Posts
Flywheel bolts are reusable. I don't have the part number, but any Dodge part counter can find them for you. I also have a NEW Findeza aluminum flywheel for sale too

·
Registered
10 Posts
lol Thanks guys. I'll just reuse mine with a little loctite.
I appreciate it. Hard to figure things out when the conversations are so back and fourth of what to do and not to do.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I think the rule of thumb here is that "your results may vary"...since we are all pretty much just shade tree mechanics with varying levels of education, knowledge, skills, and abilities. Just because someone uses new fasteners does not mean the work was done correctly...but part of one's success in wrenching on these cars is to remove as many variables from the repair to the extent needed. Everyone has their opinion on what that means.

·
Sexist
44,358 Posts
My Vipers are red so I use red Loctite. You have a blue Viper so you should use blue Loctite.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts