Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1994 Dodge Viper RT/10
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone every attempted to move the battery location on a Gen 1 RT / 10 from the rear wheel to the trunk for easier maintenance? I daily drive my viper and this will eventually be a pain in the rear.

· Registered
982 Posts
If you daily drive your car why would it allow for easier maintenance? Driving the car often will keep the battery in good health. For times it's not being driven you can put a battery maintainer on it using the connections under the hood and you shouldn't be buying a water cell battery for this car. So, as far as I can see, their really is zero reason/benefit to moving the battery from the wheel well to the trunk.

• Helpful
Reactions: 8.0L>1.8T

· Registered
1994 Dodge Viper RT/10
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks for your guidance. Yes I do use a tender under the hood when not in use. I’m ignorant on water cell battery - I really don’t know what battery is in it - whatever my mechanic recommends is what I go with. I really had no clue about wet cell vs dry cell batteries for this car - is there a specific reason for the viper? Engine? Placement?
What battery brand should I be using?

· Registered
1,210 Posts
I’m ignorant on water cell battery - I really don’t know what battery is in it - whatever my mechanic recommends is what I go with. I really had no clue about wet cell vs dry cell batteries for this car - is there a specific reason for the viper?
What battery brand should I be using?
if the battery dies, I can swap it out myself
These two statements conflict with each other.

· Registered
982 Posts
Shouldn't need to change the battery but every 3-4+ years depending on environment and usage. Taking the rear wheel off once every 3-4 years shouldn't be the reason to basically rewire and relocate the battery as it's a good time to give the car a good visual anyways. Bushings, tie rod ends (yes a viper has these in the rear), ball joints, brakes, sway bar end links, etc all need to be made sure things are in good shape. Plus if you move a battery to the trunk you are doing permanent modifications to the car, that are not desirable mods, so you're limiting your resale ability at a min, not to mention you'll also need to vent that battery too (another unnecessary hole in the car).

You should be looking at AGM batteries. They are maintenance free. If you have to check the water on it, don't buy it.

I understand the thought and initial logic but for this car, please don't do this modification.

• Helpful

· Registered
1994 Dodge Viper RT/10
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the direction - even though I have no intentions of selling my favorite daily, I won’t do it. Your right. I’ll investigate to make sure I’ve got the correct battery - thanks!

· Landscaping Professional
14,178 Posts
From '92 thru mid-year '93, all RT/10s came with the battery in the middle of the trunk floor. Dodge had to re-tool a bit to start building for export models because many countries do not allow side exit exhaust and the rear muffler needed the battery space. The suspension engineers said move it to the rear right for better corner weighting with only the driver onboard. The electrical engineers said, no, we have the fuel filler on the right fender and we don't want a spark hazard on that side. So, they moved it to the driver's side for the rest of Gen1 production and all of Gen 2. When G3-5 came out, they moved it back to the trunk floor where it belongs.

• Helpful
1 - 8 of 8 Posts