Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The link above is for a fuel pump relay and yes the link works. However, discountautoparts.com does NOT have the fuel pump relay in stock.

Edit: it does say starter relay on the website, but its terminal set up is the same as the Gen II fuel pump relay.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just use any standard name brand relay. You only need a 4 prong, NOT a 5 prong. The center prong is unused.

Just trim pin #86 with a wire stripper to match the small prong on the old relay. You're Done! It's that simple!

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Doug Levin

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
So I picked up a standard $5, 5 pronged relay at Advance (didn't see any 4 pronged) and was able to make it work. It took just a few minutes to trim one of the .250 wide male spade connectors down to roughly .100 wide with a cutoff wheel. Afterwards I dressed down all the burrs with a small file. It works. :) My fuel pumps power up but I haven't had a chance to put any miles on the car yet due to the weather but I will report back when I get a chance to do some driving. I want to put some miles on this modified relay before I can put my complete confidence in it. Another option would be to modify the cars harness and get rid of the .125 wide female spade connector and swap it for the more commonly used .250 connector. Modifying the relay was easier for me so thats the route I took. Thanks again to Doug Levin for the info!

Advance part #

Factory Viper fuel pump relay on the right, aftermarket on the left.

Before

After

·
Landscaping Professional
14,148 Posts
So I picked up a standard $5, 5 pronged relay at Advance (didn't see any 4 pronged) and was able to make it work. It took just a few minutes to trim one of the .250 wide male spade connectors down to roughly .100 wide with a cutoff wheel. Afterwards I dressed down all the burrs with a small file. It works. :) Modifying the relay was easier for me so thats the route I took. Thanks again to Doug Levin for the info!

Before

After
Wherever did you get that brilliant idea?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
It came to me in a vision Dean. A premonition if you will.....of being stranded on the side of the road because of a 16 year old relay deciding it was time to give up the ghost.

·
Registered
124 Posts
So I picked up a standard $5, 5 pronged relay at Advance (didn't see any 4 pronged) and was able to make it work. It took just a few minutes to trim one of the .250 wide male spade connectors down to roughly .100 wide with a cutoff wheel. Afterwards I dressed down all the burrs with a small file. It works. :) My fuel pumps power up but I haven't had a chance to put any miles on the car yet due to the weather but I will report back when I get a chance to do some driving. I want to put some miles on this modified relay before I can put my complete confidence in it. Another option would be to modify the cars harness and get rid of the .125 wide female spade connector and swap it for the more commonly used .250 connector. Modifying the relay was easier for me so thats the route I took. Thanks again to Doug Levin for the info!

Advance part #

Factory Viper fuel pump relay on the right, aftermarket on the left.

Before

After
You're welcome! Go ahead and drive with confidence; There's a lot more than just your car driving around out there with this mod ;)

·
Landscaping Professional
14,148 Posts
Doug,

If you will kindly refer to Page 1, we can both share in the limelight.

:dean: :D:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Well NAPA can't get the relay either. I placed an order yesterday evening and it was cancelled by NAPA today. The relay I listed in the post above is on their website but the distribution center doesn't have any and can't get any. So, much like the other auto parts websites, they have it listed but the dumb asses don't actually have it. More research to be done. I'll be damned if I'm going to get stranded on the side of the road because of a $15 relay that is no longer available.
I bought mine from napa 3 years ago, it was oem,, it was a special order but came in 2 days, it was $70. , easiest fix ever. My car would just die while cruising, 1st thing I checked was that relay, it was very hot, replaced the part, never had an issue again.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I bought mine from napa 3 years ago, it was oem,, it was a special order but came in 2 days, it was $70. , easiest fix ever. My car would just die while cruising, 1st thing I checked was that relay, it was very hot, replaced the part, never had an issue again.
$70?! Well then I am thankful that NAPA can no longer get them. I like the $5 solution better.

·
Registered
433 Posts
My SRT-10 is throwing this code, but I can hear the fuel pumps prime before starting the car and the car starts/runs. I've tried deleting the code (along with a couple other codes) with my SCT tuner, but the codes are still there after I attempt to clear them.

Wonder if I should try the above fix to try to get rid of the code?

21 - 40 of 40 Posts