Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 gts. Car started and idled fine. Backed out of garage and car felt like it ran out of gas. When I turn key on position there is no longer a fuel pump whine. I have replaced fuel pump relay located in trunk. I have reset alarm, I have disconnected battery(red top optima). I have checked all fuses. The car will crank like crazy, but will not fire. Doors, windows, idiot lights, lights all work. I hear a click from the fuel pump relay when I turn the key on.
The pump is a walbro unit installed(new) 5 weeks ago. How does one go about testing the fuel pump. I know it's located in the tank, but how do I get to it? Is it through the trunk?
Any help would be great.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
Hook up a fuel pump pressure gauge to the Schraeder (spelling?) valve on your fuel rail. Be sure it is a gauge that is designed for Fuel Injection systems (able to handle at leat 60 - 70 psi or you'll have gas squirting everywhere).
Should be between 50 - 60 pounds.

If not then check the fuse to the fuel pump.

My 1997 GTS manual says:

1. release fuel system pressure.
2. disconnect negative battery cable at the auxiliary terminal.
3. access fuel pump module cover by pulling back trunk rug.
4. drill pop rivets from fuel pump module cover using 1/4 inch drill.
6. use special tool 6856 to remove fuel pump module locknut.
7. lift module up to remove, being careful not to spill the fuel remaining in it.

I guess you could check the voltage at the pump at that point (you'd have to hook up the battery again; be sure no fumes are present either at the battery terminal or at the poin that you are checking the voltage to the pump..

Did you change the fuel filter? If clogged then you'll get lower or no pressure.

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
Once the pump is out you could hook it up to 12 volts and see if it spins.

Caveat #1. Once when my Hummer had a bum fuel pump I tried this and it spun fine BUT when I dipped the intake and pump into mineral spirits it was not pumping anything.

Caveat #2. If you want to test it for ability to pump I would NOT test it with gasoline as it will spray a 60 psi stream of gasoline all over the place. Use a less flammable non water based liquid to test it that way (mineral spirits work fine). better yet hook it up to your pressure gauge. Immerse it in the fluid you are testing it with so that it will be properly primed.

Caveat #3. Do not run the pump without liquid for more than a second or two. Also once out of liquid the pump will tend to overheat so run it for no more than a few seconds if it is in the air even if it is pumping liquid. In tank fuel pumps are cooled by being immersed in fuel and running them in air can cause them to overheat.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, Thanks. While looking at my service manual, I can see how the pump is connected electrically. I'm going to unplug that clip and have my girlfriend turn key on. I will test each pin in the plug to see if I'm getting any current to that plug from the relay. If so, it's got to be the pump. If not, I bet it's the after market alarm system (intelliguard 8000 w\black jax system). What a cluster-_uck of wiring that thing is.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Well how else are we going to get...please step away from the Viper...
please step away from the Viper...the Viper is going to strike if you do not step away...
Len, seriously, could we wire a 12V annuciator into the blinking light on the dash, whereby it would emit a faint chirp with every flash?

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
The stock fuel pump is an issue on these cars. Mine went at 15k iirc. Thing died on me after getting down to Monterey for dinner for the evening. New pump under warranty has been fine ever since but that was a real drag having a wrecker come and pluck my car out of the restaurant parking lot.

·
Registered
720 Posts
i'll tell ya one thing...i've seen alot of cars with aftermarket alrarms added to them and usually the first thing to take a dump is the starter kill relay...ya pull the lower dash down and see a nest of wires...try getting your hand up in there!!! ..and in my opinion the viper doesn't need anything else besides the factory alarm..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
txlen-what does the car do when this relay goes out? Will the car crank when this relay goes bad? My car will crank but not fire. Everything else electrical in the car works. If it is this, what does it look like?
I pulled the cover to the pump last night. Pulled plug and tested each pin. Had my gal turn key to on position while I tested each. There are 4 wires. Black\tan-no power. Black-no power (duh). Blue-no power. Green and white- key is turned on. I hear the click of the fuel pump relay which throws power to this wire, half a second later, click from fuel pump relay and no power.
I hear no click from any relay from under the dash, but I was not listening.
Thanks for the help if you have anyone more insight on this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.