Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a clogged fuel filter make the fuel pump act up? Could it cause a code to read faulty pump when it's actually the clogged filter? 1994 rt with 26k miles on it and no mods.
Original owner must have had something done to the pump as the dealership service tech said the rivets were plastic around the tank entry point indicated repair. Car has long crank to start. Tried the check valve trick with no luck.
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
19,302 Posts
Absolutely it can cause an issue with fuel delivery. Should be the first thing you change out. Then go to the pump, but there are none available, you may have to get a custom fuel basket

·
Registered
31 Posts
Same thing happened to my 94. It ended up being the fuel pressure regulator. Unfortunately they aren't available and had to adapt an off the shelf unit. Take some fuel pressure readings and that will tell point you in the right direction.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,158 Posts
These filters are NLA. I tried to get one through both the dealer and NAPA. No go.

I miss the good old days of just throwing a new Fram G-3 in line for $3.14

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I took the car in originally for just the fuel filter change. Been working on getting fluids, plugs, wires and filters changed since I bought the car a few months ago. The prior owner didn't have maintenance records to rely on. Car was running much better after the k&n filters were installed, new plugs and wires help as well. Unfortunately the long crank time still exsisted. Car sat for years with little miles put on the odometer. I suppose the gas was probably bad and seller just topped it off with more gas when I bought it. Fuel filter was the last item to change and I was not going to do that so off to the dealer. Viper tech is poking around the pump but I think they should start with the filter.
Where are they going to get parts from if none are available?? Our vendors have parts right?

·
Landscaping Professional
14,158 Posts
Our vendors don't have them either. It's time for a few enterprising DIY'ers to put their skills and experience together to work up a lasting solution.

Reactions: 8.0L>1.8T

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Same thing happened to my 94. It ended up being the fuel pressure regulator. Unfortunately they aren't available and had to adapt an off the shelf unit. Take some fuel pressure readings and that will tell point you in the right direction.
Pressure was lower than it should be but not so low the car can't be driven. They are suggesting replacement of the fuel pump. Their "viper tech" punted on working on the car and they referred me to the Dodge dealership in Lewisville. I'm taking it back home and will address the issues some time later. I can live with a long crank time. I'll source my own parts if I have to. Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
19,302 Posts
Fuel filter if you need one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can a clogged fuel filter make the fuel pump act up? Could it cause a code to read faulty pump when it's actually the clogged filter? 1994 rt with 26k miles on it and no mods.
Original owner must have had something done to the pump as the dealership service tech said the rivets were plastic around the tank entry point indicated repair. Car has long crank to start. Tried the check valve trick with no luck.
Thanks in advance.
Definitely replace the fuel filter first.

Your cheapest option is to add a primer timer. Very simple to do and cost less than $75.00. I have one in my 96RT and it works fantastic. Turn the key 2 clicks wait 10seconds turn on the car done.

Your other option is replace the fuel pressure regulator. Call Dan Craigin he had some available not too long ago.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your other option is replace the fuel pressure regulator. Call Dan Craigin he had some available not too long ago.[/QUOTE]

Fuel pressure regulator was faulty I was told. I'll keep all this info handy. Thanks guys, big help.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just updating my post.
Since it was Winter, not much driving occurred so I'm still having the long Crank time. Now I'm getting a moan or groan noise from the fuel pump or possibly the steering pump at low speeds. Some surging as well in lower gears. It's possible I have both issues but just wanted to ask about the moan/groan noise. Is that a fule pump thing or steering pump? Going to address the issue this spring so I can enjoy the car. Thanks again

·
Registered
1 Posts
In general, a dirty filter may trigger the fuel pump, but the question then is, how much could the filter be clogged, that the fuel was incorrectly dosed? You had to get the last owner of your car, get it out of the ground and make it change the filters. I read on www.cararac.com that one can say goodbye to the car forever or at least to the wallet in such a situation. I will also use this opportunity to ask if you have ever had such a thing that the fuel consumption at low speeds is somehow proportionally higher than at high rates. It's a mystery to me. I read that this is a common problem with the chip.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just bought a new OEM regulator from jonB. Wasn't cheap but should solve my issues with long cranks. Thanks for everyone's input.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts