Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 GTS with PS2 tires. The road outside my house is paved, but there are really tiny pieces of gravel on it. When I leave my house, no matter how slow I drive, I hear those tiny rocks constantly being picked up by the tires and hitting the underside of the car. I also noticed the doors, on both sides, have tiny little marks in the clear coat, which look like partial thickness chips. I’m suspicious that the rocks are being picked up by the front tires and hitting the doors. I always have the Little Rocks sitting on the exhaust covers/side sills as well. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Landscaping Professional
13,950 Posts
Normal. Vipers have very little sound deadening and very wide tires that pick up much more road debris. Either live with it, keep it parked in the garage and never drive it, or sell it and have the same thing happen with your replacement vehicle.

·
Premium Member
4,290 Posts
Get the chips fixed and have PPF applied?

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Anytime rocks are thrown, I throw back!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Normal. Vipers have very little sound deadening and very wide tires that pick up much more road debris. Either live with it, keep it parked in the garage and never drive it, or sell it and have the same thing happen with your replacement vehicle.
does paint protection film provide enough protection if it I put it on the doors?

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
This.

·
Sexist
43,692 Posts
There is a clear film that is very durable. I have it on my tracker but I wouldn't recommend it on a street car. Your GTS is over 20 years old. It won't be long before it will benefit from a new paint job. When it gets painted put a gaziilion coats of clear on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a clear film that is very durable. I have it on my tracker but I wouldn't recommend it on a street car. Your GTS is over 20 years old. It won't be long before it will benefit from a new paint job. When it gets painted put a gaziilion coats of clear on it.
Why wouldn’t your recommend it on a street car? will repainting it diminish the value at all?

·
Premium Member
4,290 Posts
I have/had it on numerous cars never had a problem with it, once it gets chewed up bad enough rip it off and get it put on again/fix the chips.

·
Kitty Wrangler Denali Owner
8,547 Posts
Rock chips!? Sell your car, it's worthless now.

·
Sexist
43,692 Posts
Why wouldn’t your recommend it on a street car? will repainting it diminish the value at all?
First off, stop worrying about the value. Get out and drive that bitch. I've got 205K miles on my 98 RT/10 and 40K track miles on my 97 GTS and don't regret a single mile and looking at prices today I could still get a nice price for each of them.

The stock rockers come with a little piece of film at the front of the panel. My GTS has aftermarket film on the leading 1/3 of the hood. It is very durable but I just don't think it is necessary on a street car. There will be an edge where the film stops, not overly detectable but still noticeable. Not a big deal either way, just not my preference on my street Viper.

I do advise getting protective film for the headlights and fog lights.

·
Registered
710 Posts
After running r888 & r888r on the front, no inner fenders and wheels with an aggressive offset for over 30k miles. The car was driven everywhere, hard, and there were almost no rock chips on the doors. Rocker panels, front bumper, hood, inner fender painted bodywork, inner fender rivets, windshield and roof were a different story.

You'll likely have no damage from the tires. But clear bra will save your paint if you're that concerned.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts