Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to swap my pads for some EBC greens, did left front no problem, any tricks to compressing the pistons as I don't seem to be able to compress the front right outboard pistons enough to get the new pads in. Any pictures or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have the service manuals and the info on compressing the pistons is worthless. The car is an 01 GTS. Thanks!!

·
Sexist
44,358 Posts
It may be tight but there should be no difficulty installing the pads. The pistons are capable of being pushed flush with the caliper. Are they? If not, it sounds to me like a piston may be cocked in the cylinder. Take a close look at it. If the face of the piston isn't perfectly parallel to the caliper then it is not squarely going into the cylinder.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pistons are not flush and I am not able to push them both in at the same time, I can push one, then the other piston comes out more, and vice versa, how do I push them both in at the same time?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Use the old brake pad that you removed. insert it in length wise it in the caliper to reach both pistons. Now use leverage of the brake pad pushing on the rotor (fulcrim) with your hand to insert both calipers at the same time. Visualize a teeter taugher. Helpful trick is to do only one pad on a side at a time, leave the pad in for the other two pistons. Once you get the one side in then do the other.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't seem to be able to get enough leverage, I tried using the old pad, but was only able to push in one piston at a time. Each time I pushed one in the other piston would come back out. Don't seem to be able to get enough leverage to push both in at the same time.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,148 Posts
You're not being careful to contact BOTH pistons with the old pad at the same time. _Center_ the old pad in the caliper and use the rotor O.D. to press against for leverage. You need to insert the pad only slightly past the centerline between the two pistons. If you go too deep, you won't contact the pistons enough to move them.

·
RIP - Gone But Not Forgotten
18,149 Posts
One thing I never see mentioned is that the bleeder should be opened when the pistons are being retracted into the caliper so fluid does not "back-flow" thru the ABS pump.

This is a no-no not opening the bleeder. The pump does not like brake fluid flowing back-wards thru it. This action has caused pumps to take a dump in the past on many ABS equipped cars. Lots of times you will get away with it, but why chance it?

Just one of the few things I remember for my Tech training. (Instructor from Bosch)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Landscaping Professional
14,148 Posts
That's news to me, but then again - I don't need no stinkin' ABS.

·
RIP - Gone But Not Forgotten
18,149 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.