Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend\'s GTS unstable at speeds

Guys, I have my Eiback Springs installed and the car handles like an animal, it is just glued to the road and feels solid all the way to 180 mph.
A very good frined got a GTS and had the Eibacks installed. His ride height looks just like mine, but his car rides like stock, ZERO Bouncing, which I do have some. At the beginning I was like: Wow, same looks and it rides like stock, I got to see how to adjust my shocks to do the same, no bouncing at all.

Well, after his suspension has settled now, his GTS is very unstable at speeds over 80 mph, it just wobbles all over the road. It is not alignment, the car just feels like if it had street tires on the front ant slicks at 14lbs. on the the rear, it is just all over the place, it just gets loose...

I told him, that maybe since his eibacks springs do not bounce at all, maybe his shocks did not get adjusted, or got adjusted to a softer setting, and that's the reason the car is doing what is doing...

Any ideas?
Thanks!
JC

·
Registered
24,053 Posts
Re: Friend\'s GTS unstable at speeds

balance and alighnment are what id double check first

·
Registered
7 Posts

Were the shocks tightened at ride height? If not it may have been riding 1/2 to 1 inch high when it was aligned. When it dropped the alignment went out, causing toe out, which if excessive could feel very poor at speed.

If you install the shocks correctly, tightening all suspension and shocks with the suspension at ride height, there should be no subsequent "dropping."

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

Julio, the alignment has to be off. First I would doublecheck the tire pressure on all 4 corners. Have your friend do a slalom on a smooth road and see if there is any perceptible difference in how the rear suspension conforms to the weight transfer. Gradually increase the speed and see if there is a greater difference side to side as the speed increases. It could be that part of the suspension has not yet dropped in relation to the rest. Measure from an even part of the ground up to the lower frame rail by where the control arms attach. If all this seems to be fine, it could be a rear toe link bracket recall issue. After all this has been checked and all appears to be fine, then have the alignment settings and bump steer checked. Give me a call if you have any questions. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks for all replys. The car is a 99 GTs, it never got aligned, but neither did mine. When he got it, the back of the car was still high, and the car had a nasty wheel unbalance vibration at 80 mph or so. All tires got re-balanced and the car does not vibrate anymore.
After he drove the car the rear suspension settle down to where it looks just like mine. Mine bounces but rides solid, his does not bounce but it is all over the road under acceleration and hard braking.
He is going to get an alignment this morning, I'll keep you posted. Tire presure is 32 psi on all corners.
He is the only GTS that I've heard of that has installed Eibacks and rides like stock (ie: no bouncing at all).

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

the car was lowered by a "Tuner", who has done a few of them.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,338 Posts

Two thoughts:

1) the bushing preload procedure at ballasted ride height is VERY IMPORTANT!!!

2) if the toe in - especially the rears - or the rear caster angle is off, the ride can be almost frightening. Rear caster can only be set with the Viper Service Tools and the DRB-III.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.