Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it that dodge stopped putting the aerodynamic covers on the fog lights in the later model GTS's.

The '96's, '97's, and (I believe) '98's had them, but why the change. I think it looks better w/o them but, I was wondering if this change was just for looks or if they did it for some other purpose.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
I dunno why they stopped, but I wish they hadn't. I've replaced three foglights so far, and since they come only as a large, bulky unit that includes about half of the crap behind that part of the fascia, they cost about $450 from Mopar.

So far I've been able to get them replaced under warranty, but when that warranty runs out... ugh.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What argument did you use to have them covered under warranty? I was told from 2 dealers that cracked fog lamps are not covered items.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
They usually aren't. I just have a really good Viper Tech.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Not to steal the thread, but how the hell do you change the light bulbs on those things? I have a 96 r/t 10 and it looks like it is one piece.

I have covers on mine, was thinking about taking them off, but after this...I am leaving them on.

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
Fog lights are one piece...you cannot change the bulb...and they actually only cost $187 list, so around $150 each with our discounts...They take about 15 minutes to change...They unplug from the rear, there are a couple of nuts or a screw, cant remember its been awhile...and then CAREFULLY take them out the front...not hard at all.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
You can change just the bulb. I had xenon bulbs in mine for awhile (I think that's what broke one lens the second time, actually -- I went on a long trip and I think they just got too hot). If the lens breaks, you have to buy the whole thing, which is a big black box with the light part attached to the front.

Believe me, I know, I've done this twice, and I have another replacement waiting for me to go pick it up.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
I don't remember how it works off the top of my head, but it seemed pretty obvious when I put the xenons in, and took them out later. It's just one of those things where you turn the socket to unhook it from the car. I think you have to go through that circular rubber plug on the back of the fascia.

It only took a few minutes. Have a look, and if you can't figure it out, I'll go downstairs and look at mine again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts