Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Landscaping Professional
14,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my exhaust header heat shields in place, I was able to turn my first laps last Saturday. Harris Hill Road (H2R) is 25 miles from me in San Marcos, TX. It's a 1.8 mile, 11 turn club course with some modest elevation changes and a pretty fresh repave. I did 2 sessions of around 8 laps each and put 30 miles on it. The upgrade to my exhaust ditched the OE resonators for 3" Moroso Spiro Flow mufflers, with 2.5" outlets to my previous x-pipe setup. It sounds AWESOME! Nice idle and cruise levels, but it freaking HOWLS over about 3k!

I drove up with a full street alignment and just checked tire temps and pressures on the PS2s while I got my rhythm back. I only had one pucker moment on my 3rd lap - missed and apex and did a couple of tank-slappers trying to get the back end under me again, but never got off the pavement, or spun. The car did great, with no temperature issues under the hood while at the track. When I got back to the house and looked around closely, I found my new Summit plastic plug wire markers had mostly, or completely melted away right at the wire/boot junctions.

My catch can didn't have any oil accumulation in it to speak of, but there was some fresh oil present on the front passenger side area. I investigated this closely and found 2 things: 1) the collector tube from the tee joint to the can had popped off due to lack of a clamp, and 2) the rubber elbow at the front of the valve cover was leaking due to using zip ties instead of the factory nylon clamps I have on the driver's side. All is cleaned and secured for the next time out.

It was in the low 90's and a bit humid, but I had a great time. Between the Viper at H2R, and my shifter and TAG karts running here at the local track, I should be in shape and prepared for the Viper Days Reunion event at Road America at the end of August! I also received my new Hoosier R7's for the event yesterday afternoon. The FedEx guy neatly stacked them outside my garage for me.

·
Gone Nomad
6,352 Posts
Clean car that performs, what more can you ask for…

my current merc may be faster but damn do I miss the viper.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Hoosiers FTMF WIN! Mine are just on the rears for Mexico.

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
Awesome

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
With my exhaust header heat shields in place, I was able to turn my first laps last Saturday. Harris Hill Road (H2R) is 25 miles from me in San Marcos, TX. It's a 1.8 mile, 11 turn club course with some modest elevation changes and a pretty fresh repave. I did 2 sessions of around 8 laps each and put 30 miles on it. The upgrade to my exhaust ditched the OE resonators for 3" Moroso Spiro Flow mufflers, with 2.5" outlets to my previous x-pipe setup. It sounds AWESOME! Nice idle and cruise levels, but it freaking HOWLS over about 3k!

I drove up with a full street alignment and just checked tire temps and pressures on the PS2s while I got my rhythm back. I only had one pucker moment on my 3rd lap - missed and apex and did a couple of tank-slappers trying to get the back end under me again, but never got off the pavement, or spun. The car did great, with no temperature issues under the hood while at the track. When I got back to the house and looked around closely, I found my new Summit plastic plug wire markers had mostly, or completely melted away right at the wire/boot junctions.

My catch can didn't have any oil accumulation in it to speak of, but there was some fresh oil present on the front passenger side area. I investigated this closely and found 2 things: 1) the collector tube from the tee joint to the can had popped off due to lack of a clamp, and 2) the rubber elbow at the front of the valve cover was leaking due to using zip ties instead of the factory nylon clamps I have on the driver's side. All is cleaned and secured for the next time out.

It was in the low 90's and a bit humid, but I had a great time. Between the Viper at H2R, and my shifter and TAG karts running here at the local track, I should be in shape and prepared for the Viper Days Reunion event at Road America at the end of August! I also received my new Hoosier R7's for the event yesterday afternoon. The FedEx guy neatly stacked them outside my garage for me. View attachment 151122
View attachment 151127 View attachment 151128 View attachment 151123 View attachment 151124 View attachment 151125 View attachment 151126
THAT is the smile of happiness. Great for you!

·
Registered
12,231 Posts
Congrats Dean! Looking forward to track time this year myself!

Reactions: GTS Dean

·
Landscaping Professional
14,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Last of the chassis adjustments before Road America and the Viper Days Reunion. I do all the caster/camber stuff, but 30 minutes at the alignment shop for perfect toe settings is the icing on the cake!

·
Landscaping Professional
14,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
"Hoosiers FTMF Win!"

Getting to the track to heat cycle my new Hoosiers yesterday got derailed due to 3 of 4 rims seriously leaking air from old silicone at the barrel half joints. I went to bed with 45psi in all the tires and woke up with 42, 25, 24 and 0. I went back to Discount to have them broken down again. I drove home and got after them with utility knives, screwdrivers, picks, compressed air and alcohol. Then I applied a fresh silicone bead to the joints and headed back over for another mount & balance.

I bedded in my new rotors and pads yesterday evening with a progression of 35-0, 50-10, 75-20 and 100-30 decels, then cooled them down and went home. I aired the tires up to 35 before turning in and this morning they were all at 33, so I called it good.

I loaded up and went to the track to heat cycle the Hoosiers and learn how hard I can push the new Hawk pads. I did 2 quick sessions for about 15 total laps and headed back home. Got the car unloaded, washed and dried; washed my street tires and rims and put everything up just before it started raining.

Everything is ship-shape and ready to tow down to Houston to hitch a ride on a transporter going to Road America!

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Cloud

Reactions: JGK95 and 8.0L>1.8T

·
Landscaping Professional
14,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Frank! An interesting name popped up on the attendees' list - Ron Hill! I haven't seen him since Waaaaaay back.

·
Registered
67 Posts

It was in the low 90's and a bit humid, but I had a great time. Between the Viper at H2R, and my shifter and TAG karts running here at the local track, I should be in shape and prepared for the Viper Days Reunion event at Road America at the end of August! I also received my new Hoosier R7's for the event yesterday afternoon. The FedEx guy neatly stacked them outside my garage for me. View attachment 151122
Dean, where did you get those heat shields? Or did you make them?

·
Landscaping Professional
14,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hand-made them. I want to get them ready as refined, marketable kits later this fall.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Special price today for you, my very good friend is 1 meeelion dollars. Thank you!

;)

Reactions: 3SPerkins
1 - 16 of 16 Posts