Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Camel Farmer
Joined
·
9,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I took my 2000 GTS to the track for the first time for a day of road racing. They take approximately 15 cars at a time and throw us on the track which is about 1 mile long in total length. I have raced this course before in my modified 96 Corvette that I sold, so I wasn't a total newbie. I did get some advice from a few people on the Alley, Woodhouse, and even talked with Chuck RT10 from via the phone <thanks Chuck!> for some tips and advice. My car was stock except for the following:

K&N filter
Smooth Tubes
Snake Oil Exhaust with muffler delete
Brakeman 3 front pads
Extreme 6 fluid in braking system

Bottom line is the car ROCKED! The brakes only heated up once where I got some brake fade and the rear stock pads (which are in great condition) smoked once for 20 seconds after I stopped the car. I mastered the braking system without the ABS quickly, but still need to learn the suspension. I do know the factory alignment for the car that I used sucks and it did not help that I left the sport shims in there. I will change to an aggressive street/track alignment next time I get it aligned-one that will be good for spirited driving and the track but mostly 99% aggressive street time.

The Pilot Sports were used to learn on, but I will still keep these on the car for now until I can learn the car better. I will only drive the car maybe twice a year at the track, so I need more seat time and also how to tune the tires and suspension for my driving. Here is the funny part so you all can laugh and perhaps learn from my mistake. I drank a water bottle at lunch and tucked the empty bottle behind my seat. I then was doing time runs and the damn bottle ended up under my gas pedal! I had to pull over in the pits and I got out and cursed and threw the bottle in a safe direction and then the guy who runs it came over and bitched at my unsportsmanlike like conduct cause I said “fuck” out loud. I did not respond to him as I know that wasn’t exactly kewl, but yet I didn’t think it was a big deal since there were no women or children around, so anyhow I let it slide.

This post serves three purposes: Inform others of my dumb ass mistake with the bottle and also let others know maybe concentrate on suspension and brakes more than the car’s power. Secondly ask for additional modification advice based on my driving and limited track time besides my plans for an aggressive alignment and going to better rear pads plus of course more seat time. Lastly, to thank all the members who post on the Alley that I read and do not respond to all the time as it has given me a wealth of information to draw on. Thanks to Kenny Katawick for answering all my Viper mods, Woodhouse’s Mark Jorgenson for his time, Chuck Babel for taking with me on tire pressures and tips on driving the beast although I didn’t have enough time to REALLY play with tire pressures like I wanted to. No pics to post, I didn’t even bring a camera and I am single so no girl to go with me and take some pics of the race. /images/graemlins/cursin
 

·
Camel Farmer
Joined
·
9,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Camel Farmer
Joined
·
9,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The race was at Pocono Raceway with a lot of twists and turns.... I was running 120 second laps on Pilot Sports. I will upgrade to the Brakeman 3 pads rear, but only when the stock ones are shot which may mean a few years if I don't track it again-lol.

I know I need the seat time and the alignment, but are that the only specs I need to give to the Dodge dealership? I'm sure I will hear others chime in on this, but I would like an alignment that is street/road course that will maybe effect the tire wear a hair, yet keep my handling good so I don't have to remove any of the shims for my limited track use. Yes, I know I am a lazy but for not wanting to take the shims out, but I am only loking for marginal gains on handling and that factory alignment has to go!

THX Austin for the tip too!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
26,067 Posts
Got your PM thanx, from memory a good street/track alignment is:

Caster +6
Camber -1.5 front, -1.0 rear
toe 0 (neutral) to an 1/8th

I ran this setup for over a year before I went to a more aggressive full blown track alignment, there was not undo wear on the tires but you will notice being "twitchy" which you'll get used to. When you turn the wheel on the street it turns immediately. Anything you need to know please ask, I got lots and I mean LOTS of track time in a Viper /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif



.



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
 

·
Sexist
Joined
·
44,358 Posts
Yeah, what Ron says. I always tell folks "Just do what Ron does."

It makes it easier for me to pass them.
 

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
Joined
·
8,621 Posts
SoCal Rebell said:
Got your PM thanx, from memory a good street/track alignment is:

Caster +6
Camber -1.5 front, -1.0 rear
toe 0 (neutral) to an 1/8th

I ran this setup for over a year before I went to a more aggressive full blown track alignment, there was not undo wear on the tires but you will notice being "twitchy" which you'll get used to. When you turn the wheel on the street it turns immediately. Anything you need to know please ask, I got lots and I mean LOTS of track time in a Viper /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif
.
Interesting Ron. I've been considering a slightly more aggressive alignment for the street. Is there a less aggressive setting that you'd recommend that would be a hair less "twitchy"?
 

·
Hooray for me, & fuck you
Joined
·
7,863 Posts
CitySnake said:
SoCal Rebell said:
Got your PM thanx, from memory a good street/track alignment is:

Caster +6
Camber -1.5 front, -1.0 rear
toe 0 (neutral) to an 1/8th

I ran this setup for over a year before I went to a more aggressive full blown track alignment, there was not undo wear on the tires but you will notice being "twitchy" which you'll get used to. When you turn the wheel on the street it turns immediately. Anything you need to know please ask, I got lots and I mean LOTS of track time in a Viper /images/graemlins/supergrin.gif
.
Interesting Ron. I've been considering a slightly more aggressive alignment for the street. Is there a less aggressive setting that you'd recommend that would be a hair less "twitchy"?
that should do you ok for the street.. just check for inner tire wear after a while..

my car, while not the same, is at -2.2 degrees up front, and 1.9 in the rear.. 1/16" out in the front.. 1/4" in in the back..

the toe out or 0" in the front is what will make it 'twitchy'.. just toe it in a little in the front and it will feel more stable
 

·
Donald Trump's Landlord
Joined
·
8,621 Posts
Thanks Ryan :thumb: ...damn, guess you're not quite the ass people often suggest /images/graemlins/laughing.gif
 

·
Hooray for me, & fuck you
Joined
·
7,863 Posts
CitySnake said:
Thanks Ryan :thumb: ...damn, guess you're not quite the ass people often suggest /images/graemlins/laughing.gif
fuck you you viper driving loser!

:thumb:
 

·
Camel Farmer
Joined
·
9,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pocono divides the oval track up into three road courses for use on the weekends. The cars use the main oval for the long straight, but then goes inside the oval into a series of twists and turns. The track we used is approximately 1.5 miles long by the looks of it, but it might be 1 mile or so-not really sure. Anyhow, it was a great blast, and although I was there before with my street 96 Vette, the Viper was just cooler to drive even though I have not mastered the handling yet. I need more seat time and a better street/track alignment, and only then will I switch to the Pilot Cups. Lots to master yet with the handling on this beast. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,134 Posts
BAD68GTO said:
Pocono divides the oval track up into three road courses for use on the weekends. The cars use the main oval for the long straight, but then goes inside the oval into a series of twists and turns. The track we used is approximately 1.5 miles long by the looks of it, but it might be 1 mile or so-not really sure. Anyhow, it was a great blast, and although I was there before with my street 96 Vette, the Viper was just cooler to drive even though I have not mastered the handling yet. I need more seat time and a better street/track alignment, and only then will I switch to the Pilot Cups. Lots to master yet with the handling on this beast. :)
Very cool. I have never been to Pocono. My friend just did a day there, something like "Drive a Nascar for a Day", he had a blast, but was pissed because they only let them get only to 160mph and no passing. :thumb:
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top