Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Landscaping Professional
14,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't driven my car but a couple hundred miles since Road America at the end of August. I signed up with Edge Addicts for a Sunday-only track day the weekend before Christmas. Since I haven't run there before, they will put an instructor with me for track familiarization/checkout ride and I'm OK with that. Other folks have said that Sundays are usually best for clear track running.

Last night I set up the front end almost identically to the RA alignment. I'll need another 3 hours or so to get the rear suspension dialed in tomorrow, then I'll service the fluids. I changed back to my almost new track rotors and swapped the Hawk pads inboard/outboard to even out the slight wear imbalance they had after 3 days use. The discs and pads are in amazingly good shape considering the duty they saw.

I will take the tires/wheels to Discount this week to have them broken down, the beads cleaned and then rebalanced. I think they used too much bead lube the first time and the Hoosier R7 tires spun on the rims under repeated heavy braking.

Updates to follow...

·
Registered
23,665 Posts
Pics !

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
can you tell me about the track day you signed up for? I'm also Near austin, want to do something like that with an instructor, but would be surprised if i could afford it

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Gots to to say I really enjoy the way Dean lays out the details of his exploits & I learn something every time he posts.

Kinda like when your a poor scrub kid & mama convinces you that you can go anywhere, or do anything. Just crack open the book. Thanks Dean!

Now, wheres the pics...

·
Premium Member
4,546 Posts
I think you will love it Dean, I have only done parade laps and sim driving at Cota. The esses are amazing with how fast they tighten up. It will be interesting to see what line you take through 15 and 16 do you pass up the first apex or take it and track out and run wider going into 16.

You also know how bumpy that track is, will be interesting to see if you change anything after your first few runs.

Have fun :)

·
Landscaping Professional
14,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First consideration is the weather. It's been up to the mid 80s last week, but almost freezing this morning. I have PS2s and Hoosiers mounted. I almost always run street tires for a session at the track just so I remember what the real world limits are.

I studied the IndyCars through the esses and it was instructive listening to their throttles and watching their hands on the wheels.

The first thing I have to manage is tire pressures and record temp spreads. Watching brake temps and pad wear is next. Those observations and accurate notes are the basis for alignment and shock adjustments before my next time at the track.

The base alignment is slightly less aggressive than Road America camber-wise. At high speeds, the car felt like it was on knife edges and the temp spreads confirmed I wasn't using the outsides enough.

·
Landscaping Professional
14,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, it was an interesting weekend for sure. Saturday it rained with lightning most of the day, so COTA had limited runs anyway. I was not able to get to the alignment shop Friday to set my toe-in/out, so I labored several hours in the garage Saturday afternoon. Marked C.L. on the frame, dropped a plumb bob, pulled parallel offsets, then measured back to the wheels to get them set and it was good to go. I got everything loaded up and rolled out at 5:30 Sunday and arrived at a very damp track about dawn and unloaded next to a 2017 Calvo 1800 ACR from Florida. It was breezy and in the low 40's, but the sun started popping through the clouds and sessions 2 and 3 were in strong sunshine.

Tire Wheel Cloud Car Sky

The Edge Addicts group's instructors each have backpacks with Garmin GPS/intercom/video systems they set up for the run sessions. I had an instructor ride along the first 2 sessions and he helped me with lines, pointed out the very many corner marshal stations around the track and talked about runoff areas.

I don't know how many cars of all types were in my Intermediate group, but it seemed like 35+, so it was very busy out there. I was running Michelin PS2s, some were on street tires, some were on R's, some were on slicks, so you have no way to know what level of stick people are getting in the turns. I waved a lot of people by early-on until I started figuring out where I was going. The Esses were the most difficult part because it's sort-of flattish, but the curves are all different radii, some have blind sections and it's going to take me some time to feel comfortable on that section.

The second session, I started moving my brake points deeper and passing some cars. I began to throttle steer more through the Carousel and try to figure out the best line through 19 before 20 and the S/F straight. I hit around 125-130 going up the hill to T1, but there's a sizeable hump early in the braking zone and I heard my tires chirp a couple times as the suspension unloaded. T1 is a work in progress because it's blind and off-camber exit. 2-3-4 flow pretty well, then 5-9 are the ones I'm trying to find other reference markers to help set myself up for best speed on exit. We were on the last lap and the instructor said I GAINED OVER FIFTEEN SECONDS in just one lap (down to a 2:45.xx) as we broke clear of some slower traffic and got clear track.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

I missed part of the 3rd session running solo because I misread the schedule, but still got 1 hot lap in that felt pretty good. 4th session it was overcast and the track was cooling just a bit. I was pushing through the esses pretty well, clipped the apex of T10 and hammered the short straight to the T11 Hairpin when my car started sputtering and lost fire. I rolled off deep into the runoff area and hopped out behind the rail until the tow truck arrived. I got pulled back to the paddock from the very farthest point on the track. I can hear the fuel pump relay clicking like it should, but there's no pressure at the rail. It looks like my pump lasted 25 1/2 years before giving up.

I made zero changes to the car during the day - not even air pressure. Starting at 29 all around, fronts gained about 7 and rears gained 5 psi. My camber guess (-2.6F, -1.8R) was pretty spot-on based on my probe pyrometer readings. Next time, I'll probably stiffen the shocks up a bit and will probably take my Hoosiers for a spin.

Edge Addicts www.edgeaddicts.com is a very well run organization and their Garmin tools and instructor corps are very helpful even to an advanced driver like myself.

Map Slope Font Parallel Rectangle

Reactions: Recluse
1 - 7 of 7 Posts