Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner

First Gen Hood value?

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  v10enomous 
#1 ·
Have a basically brand new hood from a 1994... Red... was taken off a car basically upon delivery for some kind of supercharger custom hood or something... I literally bought it in 1995 and have had it wrapped up and stored in my garage for 26 years.
Why I bought it back then... I have no idea.

I do have a mint red 94 rt/10... but no need for a second hood unit.

hard to gauge value on something like this. Few junk / beat up ones on ebay... but none ever seem to actually get sold.
If you needed one, would be impossible to get... but I would suspect most first gen cars are more collector cars and not being wrapped around telephone poles like they were in 1994.

any thoughts?

#5 ·
A number of the new Gen 1 hoods in the parts pipelines had a lot of body filler on them. You will need to inspect it closely for signs of crack from those fillers. In late spring of '93, they actually stockpiled hoodless cars in the factory because the hoods were so bad until the supplier came up with acceptable ones. Some factory rejected takeoffs end up in the parts system.

#14 ·
is $3000 a reasonable price then? I'm not giving it away, but would like to start selling some of my automobilia and collector stuff. And where do you market something like that?
Heck, I probably paid $3000 for it in 26 years ago. I remember OEM hoods were like 14k from Dodge, so I probably thought I was getting a heck of a deal.

It was literally taken off upon vehicle delivery at the dealership... so yes, original paint and mint.

#15 ·
How bad does someone need it? How bad do you want it gone?
Could be a few hundreds to tens of thousands.
Doesn’t seem like a lot of restorers/rebuilders have gen 1 vipers on their radars, thus no demand for them nowdays; but there’s some value there to the right buyer at the right time.

#16 ·
There are a lot of Gen 1s trading without benefit of close inspection. Some could genuinely be looking for an unblemished hood with original paint. I think $3k is not an unreasonable price. They are very difficult to ship without damage and that would figure VERY strongly in the settlement price.

Reactions: RobV
#18 ·
Read this post yesterday and thought I'd still go gen 1 hood, I own a 94, if I was in an accident where the hood needed replacing. Lots of gen 1 guys going gen 2 for hood replacement. Long story short, jackass doing an unprotected left turn nearly took me out on the way home that evening. Did I jinx myself or what...
I might have been making call your way for a new hood. Do as your doing, make it known you have one available if someone has the need like I almost did.

#19 ·
WOW... glad you didn't wreck. I'd hate to be in any kind of impact/collision in a gen 1 viper.
That's the thing... nobody needs one because they are so rarely driven and generally just putted to car shows, as such so rarely wrecked. Versus 1994 when it was the cool car for the athletes and rock stars to wrap around phone poles.

I wonder how insurance would deal with that? I would imagine... they would say "the value is 40k, a hood is 14k and not available... here's your check for the full value" and then salvage it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.