Dodge SRT Viper Forums : ViperAlley banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, please don't flame me for my ignorance but I need to learn somehwhere so I thought, why not here? After picking up my 01 RT/10 up this weekend I learned a few things. One is that I have become and instant celebrity! WOW! I thought I got a lot of attention with my last car(03 G35 Coupe)but this is rediculous! Anyway it took me some time to get adjusted to the power and the width of the car. After about 300 miles of driving I had a few complaints.

1. I felt like I was in a coffin and very closterfobic with the hard top after about 200 miles of driving. What a huge difference with the top off!!!!
2. I got an excessive amount of heat from the floor and it was fairly cool outside. Is this normal or is my fire wall not insulated well. I mean my feet were sweating something fierce!
3. The shifter is way too high for my personal preference. Any recommendations on a short throw shifter that also has a short shaft?
4. The soft top seems to rattle quite a bit in the rear over bumps. Is this normal? If it is thats ok, I just need to find out what needs attention and what is acceptable.
5. The brakes SUCK! They squeal so badly. The car only has 15k on it but should they sound this bad at this mileage?
6. MY front windows are scratched. Anybody else have his happen before? Something in the door scratching it?
7. Any opinons about the mopar dual exhaust(3" pipe)? I work for a Dodge dealer and can buy it for $1300 my cost. Is this cheaper then most competitors and any pros and cons?
8. Although I have these few complaints, even if they were all normal I am still extremely happy with my purchase. This has been my dream car for the past 10 years and I am so happy to be a part of the Viper family. Now if I can only figure out how to add some decent hp without spending $10k+ I'll be tickeled pink! Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
1. Yep, RT/10's don't need no stinkin' tops
2. Wait until hot weather gets here. It's all part of a Daimler-Chrysler campaign to help people with fat legs burn off the excess cellulite.
3. Plenty of after-market solutions. Do a search.
4. The RT/10 flexes over undulating pavement enough to make the soft/hard top squeak quite a bit. Just take the dam thing off. (If you jack up one side, it's hard to open the door, too)
5. At least you 've got ABS. Put some decent pads and slotted rotors on there.
6. News to me.
7. Do a search. Plenty of options out there. MOPAR is well received, it seems. At least put a rear muffler elim. kit in there.
8. There's nothing like it. Headers, intake, and exhaust will net around 50 HP for a few grand.
Good luck!

·
Focus!
5,585 Posts
Edretti said:
OK, please don't flame me for my ignorance but I need to learn somehwhere so I thought, why not here? After picking up my 01 RT/10 up this weekend I learned a few things. One is that I have become and instant celebrity! WOW! I thought I got a lot of attention with my last car(03 G35 Coupe)but this is rediculous! Anyway it took me some time to get adjusted to the power and the width of the car. After about 300 miles of driving I had a few complaints.

1. I felt like I was in a coffin and very closterfobic with the hard top after about 200 miles of driving. What a huge difference with the top off!!!!
2. I got an excessive amount of heat from the floor and it was fairly cool outside. Is this normal or is my fire wall not insulated well. I mean my feet were sweating something fierce!
3. The shifter is way too high for my personal preference. Any recommendations on a short throw shifter that also has a short shaft?
4. The soft top seems to rattle quite a bit in the rear over bumps. Is this normal? If it is thats ok, I just need to find out what needs attention and what is acceptable.
5. The brakes SUCK! They squeal so badly. The car only has 15k on it but should they sound this bad at this mileage?
6. MY front windows are scratched. Anybody else have his happen before? Something in the door scratching it?
7. Any opinons about the mopar dual exhaust(3" pipe)? I work for a Dodge dealer and can buy it for $1300 my cost. Is this cheaper then most competitors and any pros and cons?
8. Although I have these few complaints, even if they were all normal I am still extremely happy with my purchase. This has been my dream car for the past 10 years and I am so happy to be a part of the Viper family. Now if I can only figure out how to add some decent hp without spending $10k+ I'll be tickeled pink! Thanks in advance for any input.
Welcome to ViperAlley, glad you chose this site.

To address your questions:

1. A double-bubble hardtop solves some of this problem.
2. Lots of heat is normal; in the winter it's niiice, but in the summer, deal w/ it.
3. The shifter and other interior bits can be found at MGWltd.com; use them, they're the industry standard and George will take care of you.
4. I don't know about the soft top, there may be some screws loose; usually they dont rattle.
5. Brakes. There's a difference between the brakes sucking and squeaking, (esp. since you have an '01 w/ ABS) The brakes, IMO don't suck, but the squeak can be taken care of by buying EBC green pads, a number of vendors on here sell them.
6. Front windows scratched? How deeply? It may be fixed under warranty, that is not normal.
7. Mopar exhaust is the same as Borla; for a 3" cat-back that's a normal price. Borla makes a quality system, although personally I like the sound of the Corsa and B&B exhausts, research them before you buy. To pull out some of that cockpit heat, lose the cats; less heat and better sound too.
8.Glad you are happy with your purchase! More power for less then 10K? You can get some headwork, cam, just topend stuff for about that, or you can get a Roe Blower and put down ~200 more hp/tq then stock. You wont gain a lot of HP w/ headers because your 01 has a slightly milder cam that doesnt respond as well to exhaust mods as earler, 99 and below cars do. Dont get bigger TB's unless you have some major breathing work done, you wont gain anything. Vipers are expensive to mod, especially for big horsepower.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts